How To Convert Garmin POIs Into Nokia Map POIs

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
badrol
Polygon Mapper

How To Convert Garmin POIs Into Nokia Map POIs

Postby badrol » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:49 am

Just bought a N5800 to try the Nokia own GPS map.

While I'm quite familiar with Garmin and the various methods to add bulk POIs into my devices, the Nokia map is a new games for me.

So, this is the method that I managed to find and used successfully. I'm sure there will be other methods which are easier. Take note that I'm new with Nokia map, as such any suggestions or corrections is much welcome.

You can convert a Garmin POIs format (.gpi & .gdb) and also .gpx format directly to Nokia map POIs format which is .LMX using the latest version of gpsbabel.

Once conversion is done, save your file and then transfer to you phone (I used my memory card). Then open the file using your phone File Manager.

A list of all the POI is shown and choose save all. The POIs will be saved.

Now this is the thing that I really hate and hope that there will be a solution.

With Garmin you can arrange you POIs according to categories that you can define in the beginning and the POIs are sorted accordingly. Let say you have difference type of POIs such as Friends, Enemies and Neutral. You can create a .gpx files according to that list and your .gpi data will be sorted accordingly in your device under “Extra” after you uploaded using POI Loader.

You can even create your .gpi file directly using gpsbabel and paste it into your device POI folder and it will be sorted accordingly.

But, with Nokia Map, all POI will be shown in 1 page and you need to sort them manually using your PHONE!!!!!

Ok, after you saved the POIs using File Manager, open your Nokia “Location” and go to “Landmarks”. ALL you POIs will be display. You can create a category for specific POIs. Mark the POIs and add to your new category. However, this has no bearing on how your POIs are sorted in Nokia Map (I may be wrong here, so correct me).

Now open your Nokia Map and go to Favorites. You will notice that a new collection name has been created but with no POIs inside that folder. You may also create new collection.

Open Places and all you POIs are shown and I means ALL. Choose one POI and you can arrange it according to your collection manually ONE-BY-ONE. Best of luch with that.

So this is what I found out, if you have a better way, pls let us know as I’m still arranging my list of enemies :cry:
Last edited by badrol on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage

badrol
Polygon Mapper

Re: How To Convert Garmin POIs Into Nokia Map POIs

Postby badrol » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:07 pm

The .lmx data will be shown as an unnamed symbol while driving, so basicly it is of no use. No notification what so ever, so forgot about your speed trap POIs for now. :cry:
Last edited by badrol on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage

pronky

Re: How To Convert Garmin POIs Into Nokia Map POIs

Postby pronky » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:21 pm

hi i recently unlock my phone using free codes from http://www.unlock-free.com/ can i use this software for my unlocked phone?is it works properly in an unlocked phone .

Return to “Library”