How to convert Garmin's GCD format to RGN

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
dvpro

Re: How to convert Garmin's GCD format to RGN

Postby dvpro » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:08 am

I've received via PM a few inquiries regarding the use of RGN_Tool especially the steps to create a patched RGN. For the benefit of others, here are some guides:

How to generate normal RGN from GCD
  1. Open GCD in RGN_Tool. At Overrides make sure none is ticked.
  2. Save to RGN.

Note:
  • The above steps are meant for 2 section firmwares. From some other forums I was made to understand that for 3 section firmwares, section 2 and 3 need to be swapped (much like the steps stated below with 3 section firmwares). Ie. The second and third .bin sections need to be saved and loaded according to this particular order: (1) boot.bin, (2) fw1_resources.bin, and (3) fw_all.bin. Nevertheless I am unable to verify this as I do not own (or have tested on) any Nuvi with 3 section firmwares (ie. Nuvi1xxx, Nuvi3xxx series, etc.).

How to generate patched RGN from firmware with 2 sections
(boot.bin / fw_all.bin)

Example below is to create an RGN for US (original) firmware that is patched with Sg/My firmware.
  1. Open Sg/My firmware either in GCD (or RGN). At Overrides make sure none is ticked.
  2. At fw_all.bin section, select Save. Sg/My firmware fw_all.bin is saved at the specified folder.
  3. Open US firmware either in GCD (or RGN).
  4. At fw_all.bin section, select Load and select Sg/My fw_all.bin that has been saved earlier.
  5. Take note of HWID for boot.bin (or select and copy). At this point HWID for boot.bin (US HWID) is different from HWID for fw_all.bin (Sg/My HWID).
  6. At Overrides, tick HWID, and replace it with boot.bin HWID which is the original firmware's HWID (or select and paste).
  7. Finally save to RGN.

How to generate patched RGN from firmware with 3 sections
(boot.bin / fw_all.bin / fw1_resources.bin)

Example below is to create an RGN for US (original) firmware that is patched with Sg/My firmware.
  1. Open Sg/My firmware either in GCD (or RGN). At Overrides make sure none is ticked.
  2. At fw_all.bin section, select Save. Sg/My firmware fw_all.bin is saved at the specified folder.
  3. At fw1_resources.bin section, select Save. Sg/My firmware fw1_resources.bin is saved at the specified folder.
  4. Open US firmware either in GCD (or RGN).
  5. At second section (originally fw_all.bin section), select Load and select Sg/My fw1_resources.bin that has been saved earlier.
  6. At third section (originally fw1_resources.bin section), select Load and select Sg/My fw_all.bin that has been saved earlier.
  7. To summarize (steps 4~6), the sections order should be as follows: (1) boot.bin (US firmware, untouched), (2) fw1_resources.bin (Sg/My firmware), and (3) fw_all.bin (Sg/My firmware).
  8. Take note of HWID for boot.bin (or select and copy). At this point HWID for boot.bin (US HWID) is different from HWID for fw_all.bin (Sg/My HWID).
  9. At Overrides, tick HWID, and replace it with boot.bin HWID which is the original firmware's HWID (or select and paste).
  10. Finally save to RGN.

Notes:
  • Always use latest version of RGN_Tool available here: http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/RGN_Tool
  • The idea of creating patched RGN is to retain boot.bin section of original firmware, and to patch other section(s) with another firmware.
  • To verify that correct RGN is generated, open patched RGN in RGN_Tool. Untick Overrides (if it's ticked). Make sure HWID for both boot.bin and fw_all.bin are similar and correspond to original firmware's HWID. Also make sure SW version for boot.bin corresponds to original firmware version, while SW version for fw_all.bin corresponds to the other firmware version (so you know they don't get accidentally mixed up).
  • Patched RGN may not work with some HWID (may result in "System Software Missing" error, and the remedy is to revert to normal RGN generated from original GCD).
  • Credits to TurboCCC for this awesome tool.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

Albert_Chong

Postby Albert_Chong » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:34 pm

http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/RGN_Tool
Good News, New release RGN_tools v0.42 Now RGN_tools can saved in GCD file format :thumbsup:

v0.42
Added "Save to GCD". Works for regular boot+fw_all[+resources] and other combinations with single boot.
Improved GCD parsing - no more guessing
Automatically puts region 0E (fw_all) to second section when saving to GCD.

creating "cocktail" (patched) with Using origin Boot mix SgMy firmware, save to Gupdate.GCD into Nuvi\.System folder,
All the Localised work will be Auto-completed by this Gupdate.GCD file , :peace:
we are not necessary to use RGN file with the Updater.exe and tap hold the upper left corner screen to flashed the firmware anymore.
it is a good job done by Mr.TurboCCC.
:tq:

magixz

Postby magixz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:11 pm

Albert_Chong wrote:RGN_tools v028 is UP. http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/RGN_Tool
now correcting the checksum, in diagnostic mode, the ROM an RAM checking will be passed now.
My friend get it done with using this tools get the RGN file and get it done convert Nuvi 3790 us firmware to SgMy firmware, and junction view and lane assist work perfert.
for my Nuvi 1300 US bought from ebay US$40, Used, also get it done convert to use Nuvi 1350 SgMy firmware, but only firmware version v2.40 work with Sgmy junction view and lane assist, v2.50 and v2.60 although get it done converted, but Junction view still no see. my another friend also get it done flashed his taiwan Nuvi 255W S4 board use latest SgMy v3.10, junction view working, if S4 board, please use original Taiwan boot loader + sgmy firmware v3.10, if not, white screen will be happened.
Just use this RGN_tools.

Official disclaimers:
Do this at your own risks!
Do not flash any FW if you are getting weird errors!

I have a 1300 too, I managed to flash it to the SG/MY 2.40 but it loads and shows a window with the message
"updating traffic receiver software" and stays there... What could be the problem?
Meanwhile i loaded back the original US v4.60 and its working fine now.

tweety1668

Postby tweety1668 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:50 am

how do you get the fw1_resources.bin from? :cry:
Please show me how to this done.

jeuda

Postby jeuda » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:20 pm

v2.40 software can still be gotten from garmin site.
nuvi 660, 1300, 1350. All US sets.

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:47 pm

As of today, the latest version of RGN_Tool is v0.74
Scroll down the page to download the latest version.

http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/RGN_Tool
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

jeuda

Postby jeuda » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:25 pm

Gosh,

I made a GUpdate.GCD with the following,

original boot.bin
Fwd_all
Fwd_resources1
logo.bin(from china)

Now my garmin 1350 keep looping to update software...anyway to resolve this?

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:06 am

You may have "bricked" your device. Try hard resetting your set but be aware that you will lose all your data like favorites, gpx, etc.

You can try the "cure" here but please be warned that you are doing it at your own risks.

If your device is still under warranty then it is wise to send it to Garmin.

jeuda

Postby jeuda » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:04 am

It worked! Thanks a million. \:D/

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 am

jeuda wrote:It worked! Thanks a million. \:D/

You are welcomed. Glad to be of help. Next time, test it on a "dummy" device but not on your valuable set.

BTW, which "antidote" did you use? The hard re-set or the "cure"? :D

Return to “Library”