How to use Garmin Mapsource

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Re: How to use Garmin Mapsource

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:17 am

Peisqo wrote:Hi guys ... i'd like to ask how to import all my favorite from my nuvi 255w to mapsource? I tried clicking "receive from device" and receive "waypoints" (i assume that is favourite?) and it come out error as "There was a problem communicating with the Garmin device"

But it works when i "Send to device" the map to my nuvi

What Mapsource version are you using? Maybe you should try using the latest version.

Peisqo

Postby Peisqo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:58 am

antyong wrote:
Peisqo wrote:Hi guys ... i'd like to ask how to import all my favorite from my nuvi 255w to mapsource? I tried clicking "receive from device" and receive "waypoints" (i assume that is favourite?) and it come out error as "There was a problem communicating with the Garmin device"

What Mapsource version are you using? Maybe you should try using the latest version.

Im using MapSource_6137 as recommended

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:00 am

Peisqo wrote:
antyong wrote:

Try 6.15.x

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:42 am

Peisqo wrote:
antyong wrote:

Nuvi 255W will work with Mapsource 6.13.7 which is the version I am using. Check your PC/Lappy/Nuvi. Something is not right to get that error.

Peisqo

Postby Peisqo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:30 am

antyong : Ok will try that version .. btw do I need to uninstall the previous version ? Or it will auto replace ?

silverbeauty : Can't be .. i can't transfer from my nuvi BUT I can upload map to my nuvi

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:31 am

Peisqo wrote:antyong : Ok will try that version .. btw do I need to uninstall the previous version ? Or it will auto replace ?

silverbeauty : Can't be .. i can't transfer from my nuvi BUT I can upload map to my nuvi

No need to uninstall.
On the mapsource look for "Help" > Update
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

epi
Valued Contributor

Postby epi » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:37 am

When using mapsource to separate maps I saw some SRTM 10M Contours files in today version 091026 contents for the first time. What are these files meant for? Is it necessary to keep these files if I am using Singapore only map.
Can someone kindly answer.
Thanks.

fancheng
Senior Mapper

Postby fancheng » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:36 am

epi wrote:When using mapsource to separate maps I saw some SRTM 10M Contours files in today version 091026 contents for the first time. What are these files meant for? Is it necessary to keep these files if I am using Singapore only map.
Thanks.

SRTM 10M Contours is the TOPO map.

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:39 am

epi wrote: Is it necessary to keep these files if I am using Singapore only map.
Thanks.

fancheng wrote:SRTM 10M Contours is the TOPO map.

This Contours is more for Jungle tracking..
If you are using the map just for Singapore, you don't need it.
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

epi
Valued Contributor

Postby epi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:10 pm

alyem wrote:
epi wrote: Is it necessary to keep these files if I am using Singapore only map.
Thanks.

fancheng wrote:SRTM 10M Contours is the TOPO map.

This Contours is more for Jungle tracking..
If you are using the map just for Singapore, you don't need it.

Thanks for the reply.
That means it is safe to delete files altogether with all those files titled SMRT 10M for the next Monday release if I am only used for automobile navigation.
By the way, I have discovered when I have deleted all unwanted files (those quoted countries and related country's provinces files) remained only those obvious tilted related Sg files includes for those common files w/o country/ province names and then this so-called Sg map which unable to do poi searching.
For the time being, I am only deleting those E Malaysia, Brunei & Thai portions files but remained with all w. Malaysia files which the map then enable to have normal working poi searching.
I am trying to separete to minimize the lag problems because I am using the basic gps Nuvi 200W for Sg only but wanted full gps features.
Somethings missing in the parts?
Any way it is working fine for me with this reduced size of separated map.
Thanks.
Last edited by epi on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Library”