How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
User avatar
silverbeauty
Moderator
Posts: 3525
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:50 am

sindora wrote:Help bros!

I just opened Mapsource as usual. Lo and behold! I got this error message.

Image

Mapsource doesn't load at all.

I uninstall Mapsource. Re-downloaded Mapsource 6156. Then reinstall, with the mapsource.reg first. Still the same error message.

May I know how to resolve this?


You have got a corrupted mapset which causes Mapsource not to run and report the error.

If you can remember the last map that you open before you got this error, use utility such as M3 ( Mapsource Map Manager ), MapSetToolKit etc .... to remove the mapset. Use google to download these useful utilities

Painful way is to delete Mapsource, clean the windows registry of all remnants of Mapsource and reinstall.

User avatar
enrich2u
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:26 am

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby enrich2u » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:53 pm

hi bro,
i received this msg at the end of received data from device...
fyi, mfm v1.73 already installed
pls help me..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aeiou
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:12 pm
Location: nuvi 205w

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby aeiou » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:53 pm

alyem wrote:1. Download Mapsource Registry Script <-- Right-click and then select "Save link as" or "Save Target As"

2. Double-click on the script (mapsource.reg) to run it. Click "Yes" when the dialog message appears
register-ms.png


Edited by Antyong


Hi, I'm newbie here, got poison by Ah mix and just got myself a garmin 205w local set.
After I downloaded the script (mapsource.reg), it was just the txt file. There is no way to run it and click "yes". Can any Sifu help me ?

User avatar
alyem
Regional Mapper
Posts: 2140
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:23 pm
Location: K. Lumpur (Nuvi 710, Legend Hcx) and Oregon 300

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby alyem » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:43 pm

alyem wrote:1. Download Mapsource Registry Script <-- Right-click and then select "Save link as" or "Save Target As"

2. Double-click on the script (mapsource.reg) to run it. Click "Yes" when the dialog message appears
register-ms.png


Edited by Antyong


aeiou wrote:Hi, I'm newbie here, got poison by Ah mix and just got myself a garmin 205w local set.
After I downloaded the script (mapsource.reg), it was just the txt file. There is no way to run it and click "yes". Can any Sifu help me ?


U find this in your computer after you download???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

aeiou
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:12 pm
Location: nuvi 205w

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby aeiou » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:12 pm

No. I right clicked the link as provided in the Step 1 instruction and "save link as" to my desktop. I got only a txt file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
alyem
Regional Mapper
Posts: 2140
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:23 pm
Location: K. Lumpur (Nuvi 710, Legend Hcx) and Oregon 300

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby alyem » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:33 pm

I did as what you did many time... and I still get it right...

:ko:

Bro.. try this.. >

adcimo wrote:It is in .txt format.. to use it, you need to change the file extension to .reg only.

The full filename of the file is "mapsource.reg.txt". If you can only see the filename as "mapsource.reg" but with text file icon, you need to disable the extension hiding feature of Windows XP.

In Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options. Click View tab, and under Advanced Settings uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Hope that this helps.


or this >>
dvpro wrote:OK, try this. Start > Run > (type) regedit (to start Registry Editor).
In Registry Editor, select File > Import > select "mapsource.reg" > Open. Then install Mapsource.
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

aeiou
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:12 pm
Location: nuvi 205w

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby aeiou » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:03 pm

alyem wrote:I did as what you did many time... and I still get it right...

:ko:

Bro.. try this.. >

adcimo wrote:It is in .txt format.. to use it, you need to change the file extension to .reg only.

The full filename of the file is "mapsource.reg.txt". If you can only see the filename as "mapsource.reg" but with text file icon, you need to disable the extension hiding feature of Windows XP.

In Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options. Click View tab, and under Advanced Settings uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Hope that this helps.


OK :D :D The above trick works. :tq: :tq: I suggest to paste the above on the 1st post. Thank you alyem sifu !!

caicak
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:40 am

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby caicak » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:04 am

hi to all MFM senior and members, i'm newbies here. im so interested to contribute some track bt sport tracker. i already install:
1. nokia sport tracker
2. gps babel
3. mapsource 6137
but when i want to run the mapsource6137,it says no old map source to update.
one more thing, which thread i can download our MFM.

so hopefully our sifu,senior and member can give some advice to me.....
thanx a lot.... thanx a lot...thanx a lot

User avatar
alyem
Regional Mapper
Posts: 2140
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:23 pm
Location: K. Lumpur (Nuvi 710, Legend Hcx) and Oregon 300

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby alyem » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:20 am

caicak wrote:hi to all MFM senior and members, i'm newbies here. im so interested to contribute some track bt sport tracker. i already install:
1. nokia sport tracker
2. gps babel
3. mapsource 6137
but when i want to run the mapsource6137,it says no old map source to update.
one more thing, which thread i can download our MFM.

so hopefully our sifu,senior and member can give some advice to me.....
thanx a lot.... thanx a lot...thanx a lot

Bro,
You can not just download mapsource 6137. You need to follow the step by step on my 1st post.

As for Latest MFM Map, please go to > index.php

Look under "Free Public Downloads"

:tq:
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

mrms
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:41 am
Location: Garmin 1370T

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby mrms » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:17 am

Dearest SIFU,

I downloaded by MapSource_6137.exe or http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6137.exe and after downloading it, as usual I will double click on the exe file and try to run it, and ACCEPTed the Agreement, a warning dialog appears and it says " PREVIOUS Mapsource not Installed". Cannot continue setup something like that . WHat is happening ? I know I just bought my 1370T in Low Yatt Plaza Bukit Bintang last week, and initially it only have MALFREEMAPS of v1.65 only in there and some funny Taiwan maps (6 layers address) etc.

Please help si-fu san. If I cannot use the mapsoure.exe, can i just cut and paste the gmaspsup.img file (IMG extension) to the GARMIN folder in my GARMIN Device ???

Thank you.


Return to “Library”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests