How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
luqmanmusa

Re: How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Postby luqmanmusa » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:44 pm

i try this link

deleted

actually its free and i just wanna try to open through mapsource. to add some of POI at my place in UAE

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:39 pm

luqmanmusa wrote:i try this link

Deleted

actually its free and i just wanna try to open through mapsource. to add some of POI at my place in UAE

Garmin City Navigator map is a commercial map thus you have to buy.

The website lists cracked map.

Please respect forum rule #6. No discussion / support on illegal stuff. :tq:

luqmanmusa

Postby luqmanmusa » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:56 pm

silverbeauty wrote:
luqmanmusa wrote:i try this link

Deleted

Garmin City Navigator map is a commercial map thus you have to buy.

The website lists cracked map.

Please respect forum rule #6. No discussion / support on illegal stuff. :tq:

ok then...apologize to all for not respecting forum rule [-o< ...thanx to silverbeauty for your advise.

chinwy
Regional Mapper

Postby chinwy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:43 am

Open source is the place to go for the maps. It may not be complete but sufficient for most needs. You can contribute to the mappers there to help complete the missing areas you travel.

You can install the maps into mapsource but will need to do some homework. It requires at least two other programs to move the files to prepare the OS maps that I know.

All these require a bit of tinkering and when disaster strikes, your registry file may need fixing too. It is all well documented by the early mappers in this forum. Just have to dig deeper.

arzwarth

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby arzwarth » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:57 am

benson208 wrote:
1)open mapsource
2) go to view - switch to product (choose maps)

Take me awhile to find this to make mapsource show my map. I've been installing and uninstalling it to make it works but I just need to this to show the map.

Someone please add this guide on first post. thank you.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:39 am

arzwarth wrote:
benson208 wrote:
1)open mapsource

Take me awhile to find this to make mapsource show my map. I've been installing and uninstalling it to make it works but I just need to this to show the map.

Install guide available in first post of this thread

Mapsource manual link :-'
Link: http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapS ... anual.html

On-line guide via this link : http://www.bestbikingroads.com/ms1.pdf

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:35 pm

arzwarth wrote:
benson208 wrote:
1)open mapsource

This thread is for the Installation of MapSource. If you had followed the instructions properly, the next step is to install the maps, whose instructions are in another thread. Only then will it make sense to view the map(s) in MapSource. So your "Switch Product" steps is not appropriate for this thread.
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

arzwarth

Postby arzwarth » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:21 am

silverbeauty wrote:
arzwarth wrote:
benson208 wrote:
1)open mapsource

Install guide available in first post of this thread

I'm sorry, I run through both link and I can't find any info regarding how to switch to product (choose Maps).

tympg wrote:
arzwarth wrote:
benson208 wrote:
1)open mapsource

This thread is for the Installation of MapSource. If you had followed the instructions properly, the next step is to install the maps, whose instructions are in another thread. Only then will it make sense to view the map(s) in MapSource. So your "Switch Product" steps is not appropriate for this thread.

After you install the program and the map. When you run the program you cant see any map. As I not that good on computer thought probably I did wrong and try to do different method but still cannot see the map.

It will really help for everybody and anybody like me by add one simple line "To see the map got to View > Switch Product (Choose Map)". I really think it is very appropriate since a good "installation guide" suppose to make us run the mapsource and able to see the map too.
Last edited by arzwarth on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:36 am

arzwarth wrote:
silverbeauty wrote:Install guide available in first post of this thread

I'm sorry, I run through both link and I can't find any info regarding how to switch to product (choose Maps).

Referring to the seond link, PLEASE READ the on-line manual and PLAY with the software to understand the menus ...
The information you seek is there .... page 3

Fig. 3 – The Available Map Product list in MapSource
UNQUOTE

click this dropdown box menu and it will list all installed maps in mapsource residing in your PC / Lappy. Click respective map you want to be active and displayed :-'

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:55 am

arzwarth wrote:It will really help for everybody and anybody like me by add one simple line "To see the map got to View > Switch Product (Choose Map)". I really think it is very appropriate since a good "installation guide" suppose to make us run the mapsource and able to see the map too.

The trouble is you installed the MFM map before installing MapSource. This guide is to install MapSource for the first time THEN you proceed to the Map Installation Guide (MFM-Garmin Installation Step by Step Guide) and install the MFM map.

If you had followed these instructions accurately, the MFM map would have shown up as the latest map installed.

Instructions wrote:Method 1
  1. Download the latest MapSource installation file (should be named like "MapSource_6163.exe").
  2. Use 7zip or WinRAR to open and extract the contents of the EXE file you downloaded.
  3. From the extracted files, run MSmain.msi (newer MapSource) or Main.msi (older MapSource).
  4. Run Setup.exe located in the same folder.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions, and MapSource should be installed on your PC.
  6. You can now proceed to install our MFM-Garmin maps into MapSource.

Method 2
  1. Use one of these registry files:
    • For 32-bit Windows:
      mapsource32.zip
    • For 64-bit Windows:
      mapsource64.zip
    Unzip and run the REG file.
  2. Download and run the latest MapSource installation file (should be named like "MapSource_6163.exe").
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions, and MapSource should be installed on your PC.
  4. You can now proceed to install our MFM-Garmin maps into MapSource.

Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

Return to “Library”