How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
sarcast

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby sarcast » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:42 pm

need to update the first post,

the links here is not working

Don't worry. It is alright. There is currently no map for Mapsource to open yet. Proceed to download and install MFM map.

5. If this message appear:-
"There is a problem with the My-Sin installation. Please re-install Mapsource and start MapSource again"

You need to clean the mapsource registery.
by using this tools

Mapsource Fix v0.2e

banduw

Postby banduw » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:11 pm

gerardss wrote:
here's how....
- Make a folder in C Drive called Garmin (C:\Garmin)
- Copy a file (any file will do, size doesn't matter too) into this C:\Garmin folder
- rename the copied file to Mapsource.exe
- Run the Garmin installer
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install Mapsource
- Install a MfM map (note: Mapsource will not start unless there is at least one map installed)
- Done

This didn't work for me (Windows 7 x64). I made a registry key to 'pretend' there was previous version. After merging it into the registry, latest downloaded MapSource (from Garmin site) installed correctly.

Here is the key for 64-bit OS (not for 32 bit)

------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Garmin\MapSource\Products]
"InstallDir"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\MapSource\\"
-------

Copy this to a text file, rename the extension "reg". Then double click and merge to registry.

Thanks
Bandu

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:22 pm

banduw wrote:
gerardss wrote:
here's how....
- Make a folder in C Drive called Garmin (C:\Garmin)
- Copy a file (any file will do, size doesn't matter too) into this C:\Garmin folder
- rename the copied file to Mapsource.exe
- Run the Garmin installer
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install Mapsource
- Install a MfM map (note: Mapsource will not start unless there is at least one map installed)
- Done

This didn't work for me (Windows 7 x64). I made a registry key to 'pretend' there was previous version. After merging it into the registry, latest downloaded MapSource (from Garmin site) installed correctly.

Here is the key for 64-bit OS (not for 32 bit)

------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Garmin\MapSource\Products]
"InstallDir"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\MapSource\\"
-------

Copy this to a text file, rename the extension "reg". Then double click and merge to registry.

Thanks
Bandu

I've incorporated your solution into the first page guide. Thanks.
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

luqmanmusa

Re: How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Postby luqmanmusa » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:29 am

hello sifooss,

im just new here and went through all the tutorial..but i have 1 problem here...

i have the Middle east updated map which i download from the internet. when i want to display/edit the map using Mapsource. this error appear. (see Pic attached)..

is there any Middle East Map software i need to install or any more information do i need to know of using Mapsource..

the map is in my SD card under gmapsupp.img.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:53 am

luqmanmusa wrote:hello sifooss,

im just new here and went through all the tutorial..but i have 1 problem here...

i have the Middle east updated map which i download from the internet. when i want to display/edit the map using Mapsource. this error appear. (see Pic attached)..

is there any Middle East Map software i need to install or any more information do i need to know of using Mapsource..

There is a mismatch between the version you have on your device and the version installed in Mapsource.
If you have the latest legal version, install it in your device to get rid of the warning message

luqmanmusa

Postby luqmanmusa » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:53 pm

silverbeauty wrote:

There is a mismatch between the version you have on your device and the version installed in Mapsource.
If you have the latest legal version, install it in your device to get rid of the warning message

so far, i dont know whether it is legal or not.. :ko:

btw, correct me if im wrong,

i use to open/edit map using mapsource by receive from device with only have single map (gmapsupp.img). unfortunately this Middle East map seem like not match with mapsource requirement.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:58 pm

luqmanmusa wrote:
silverbeauty wrote:

so far, i dont know whether it is legal or not.. :ko:

btw, correct me if im wrong,

i use to open/edit map using mapsource by receive from device with only have single map (gmapsupp.img). unfortunately this Middle East map seem like not match with mapsource requirement.

I usually ignore the message :-'

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:10 pm

If you have installed the mismatched map, try uninstalling it, and see what happens...
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

luqmanmusa

Postby luqmanmusa » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:01 pm

sobamy wrote:If you have installed the mismatched map, try uninstalling it, and see what happens...

actually, after extract the downloaded file from internet which is .rar file contain only 1 map (gmapsupp.img). then i just place this map to my SD card in order to be edited using mapsource. when i try to load the map using receive from device, the above script appear...

do all the maps to be opened using mapsource should be installed in our PC at first place???

i didnt find map (Example Middle East map) that similar to MFM map which need to install to PC first....

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:25 pm

luqmanmusa wrote:
sobamy wrote:If you have installed the mismatched map, try uninstalling it, and see what happens...

actually, after extract the downloaded file from internet which is .rar file contain only 1 map (gmapsupp.img). then i just place this map to my SD card in order to be edited using mapsource. when i try to load the map using receive from device, the above script appear...

do all the maps to be opened using mapsource should be installed in our PC at first place???

i didnt find map (Example Middle East map) that similar to MFM map which need to install to PC first....

Where did you download the map from ?

Return to “Library”