How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby moeyhc » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:43 pm

william427kh wrote:
sobamy wrote:
Gamma2K wrote:u mean create folder name to Garmin and then take 1 file rename to mapsource.exe ? i already did that but still it didnt work. Please help !

Bro, just follow Bro Moeyhc' s step-by-step instruction as below:
moeyhc wrote:[snip]
- Make a folder in C Drive called Garmin (C:\Garmin)
- Copy a file (any file will do, size doesn't matter too) into this C:\Garmin folder
- rename the copied file to Mapsource.exe
- Run the Garmin installer
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install Mapsource
- Install a MfM map (note: Mapsource will not start unless there is at least one map installed)
- Done
[snip]

Actually i also having the same problem with Gamma2K and i also follow the Bro Moeyhc' step by create the file in C drive, and the result still the same. Any 1 can help?

Most PCs are not configured to change the filename extension.... what you have change may just be the filename... look again at the file in Explorer and under Type it must be listed as Application. To get access to the file extension name you must do the following (win7):-

- Goto Computer > Organize > Folder and search options and click on View tab
- In Advance Settings uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types and click OK
- Goto Explorer and change the Ext (the 3 characters after the dot). When you hit enter the PC will prompt of problem with changing file extension name, just allow it.

Hope this helps... cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

gerardss

Postby gerardss » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:43 pm

alyem wrote:Image

moeyhc wrote:The easiest way to Install Garmin Mapsource.... An Idiot can do it in Seconds!!! :mrgreen: :peace:

here's how....
- Make a folder in C Drive called Garmin (C:\Garmin)
- Copy a file (any file will do, size doesn't matter too) into this C:\Garmin folder
- rename the copied file to Mapsource.exe
- Run the Garmin installer
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install Mapsource
- Install a MfM map (note: Mapsource will not start unless there is at least one map installed)
- Done

Moderators, Please put a link in post #1 to this procedure. Thanks

ultrageek

Postby ultrageek » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:27 pm

I followed luv_yen360's method and MapSource has been installed.

Kwan

ivan5563

Postby ivan5563 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:10 pm

after installing...they want me to unlock wizard.....how to solve it? need password?

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:23 pm

ivan5563 wrote:after installing...they want me to unlock wizard.....how to solve it? need password?

MFM maps are not locked. Have you got other maps installed ? You need the unlock code for commercial map or if you don't then remove the map

hcb7984

Postby hcb7984 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Hi,

I've tried both old and new versions of Mapsources, but both indicated that I do not have the previous version and kicked me out of the installation. I've run the script (mapsource.reg), but there was no "Attachment:register-ms.png".. It only states that "The keys and values contained in C:\Garmin\mapsource.reg have been successfully added to the registry". When i download the MFM map, the gmapsupp.img is a disk image file.. Can the shifus help to advise me on this? Tried for the entire day... Thanks!!

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:16 am

hcb7984 wrote:Hi,

I've tried both old and new versions of Mapsources, but both indicated that I do not have the previous version and kicked me out of the installation. I've run the script (mapsource.reg), but there was no "Attachment:register-ms.png".. It only states that "The keys and values contained in C:\Garmin\mapsource.reg have been successfully added to the registry". When i download the MFM map, the gmapsupp.img is a disk image file.. Can the shifus help to advise me on this? Tried for the entire day... Thanks!!

You cannot install map source directly fm file download from Garmin website as these are "upgrade" files which need original file installed. Follow the steps as outlines a couple of threads up.

MFM download is an installer. You need not have map source to generate and use the map file gmapsupp.img

apex0i

Postby apex0i » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:21 pm

Guys...I've installed both mapsource & MFM maps but when I launch mapsource there's no map in it. Mapsource version is 6.16.3 & looks like it doesn't support .img files? Please help....many thanks

benson208
Valued Contributor
Location: Bukit Galena, Seremban (Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 2465, Wayway Q4331i)

Postby benson208 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:46 pm

apex0i wrote:Guys...I've installed both mapsource & MFM maps but when I launch mapsource there's no map in it. Mapsource version is 6.16.3 & looks like it doesn't support .img files? Please help....many thanks

1)open mapsource
2) go to view - switch to product (choose maps)

apex0i

Postby apex0i » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:36 am

benson208 wrote:
apex0i wrote:Guys...I've installed both mapsource & MFM maps but when I launch mapsource there's no map in it. Mapsource version is 6.16.3 & looks like it doesn't support .img files? Please help....many thanks

1)open mapsource
2) go to view - switch to product (choose maps)

Thanks a million benson!

Return to “Library”