How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
roltancc

This is how you get latest Map source

Postby roltancc » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm not sure if this has already been posted but I would like to contribute how you can get your latest map source the easy way .

http://david.heineke.name/how-to-instal ... -for-free/

I find it easy ad simple.

Cheers!

in case you can't go to the link:

------------------------------------------------

How to install Garmin MapSource for free

If you got a Garmin GPS, you can use their MapSource software for free, but it is a little tricky obtaining, installing, and setting it up for free.

Go to www.garmin.com
Hover the mouse pointer over “Support” then click “Software”
Click “Mapping Programs”. Don’t begin installing MapSource just yet because it is an update only and will tell you that you don’t already have a previous version of MapSource installed.
From here, install BaseCamp. Having BaseCamp installed is what allows you to install MapSource. You don’t necessarily have to start or use BaseCamp. A lot of the cool stuff you can do with MapSource can also be done with BaseCamp. So, it may be optional to install MapSource, but MapSource is what I prefer to use. There is a hack explained on another site, that you can use instead of installing BaseCamp.
Now, you can install MapSource from the “Software” page of the Garmin website.
After you install MapSource, when you try running it, it won’t actually run, instead it will show the error message that says: “MapSource could not find any installed MapSource map products. Please install one or more MapSource map products and start MapSource again.” What you have to do is install a map to Mapsource.

ajay

Re: How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Postby ajay » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:49 am

Since u mention base camp, i installed it recently & saw that all the maps which i installed for mapsource appear on the base fanp ad well. I heard base camp can also read .img map files which are used on garmin devices but i donno how.

* ok nevermind i got it :)
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

Bukanmain

Re: How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Postby Bukanmain » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:27 am

had some trouble but thank god i got to update my gps that has a map of year 2007..

JohnBouy

How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Postby JohnBouy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:46 pm

I am new to MFM and have tried to install MapSource via method 1 suggested but after the file (found on link to third party site could not find on Garmin site) loads it comes up with "Previous MapSource not found. Setup will terminate" and then closes. I am actually using a Mac (trying to do the MapSource installation via my Parallels Desktop) obviously the MFM file is an .exe and will not work directly on Mac but can Garmin BaseCamp be used via a dmg file?

Thanks for the help

John

Return to “Library”