Large POI icons for VGA/WVGA devices

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
RM1
Contributor

Large POI icons for VGA/WVGA devices

Postby RM1 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:52 pm

Objectives

This project addresses the need for larger POI icons for devices that have VGA/WVGA resolutions. Garmin devices are generally QVGA, and the maps were designed for such resolutions. For VGA/WVGA devices, these QVGA designed POI icons appear tiny and are not visually recognizable during navigation.

The motivation came from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6236

Examples
Example of QVGA icons in VGA device:
Ori-Icons-Shell.jpg

Example of VGA icons in VGA device:
VGA-Sample.jpg

Installations

Download the MFMFC.typ or MFMPC.typ file. Install MFM maps as usual. When it reaches the point where it asked to generate the "gmapsupp" file, replace this downloaded MFMFC.typ and/or MFMPC.typ file with the original file. See the Download thread, 3 threads below, above the FAQ section.

For now, only tested with "Full Customization for Mapsource" and when it asked to generate "gmapsupp.img" file, select Include Road POI & Full Map Display Customization.

Update: Tested with "Custom Polygons for Nuvis/GMXT" for Mapsource for the 1st dialog screen, and for the gmapsupp.img file generation, selected 1). Exclude colored polygons (less laggy), 2)Include Road POI, 3) Full Map Customization. Verdict: MFM lite with Large VGA icons is possible.

Update Jan14,2010 More large icons for MFMFC.typ
Update Mar27,2010 First Release MFMPC.typ
Update Apr02,2010 MFMFC.typ and MFMPC.typ Release. Most icons are now Large Icons. What's left are the Expressway Numbers, e.g E1, E2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RM1 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Current Device: LG G2 Android 4.4.2
Previous Devices: HTC HD2 with WM6.5 and Android 2.3.5
Previous Devices: HTC Touch Diamond 2 PDA Phone (288MB RAM) with WM6.5

RM1
Contributor

Re: Large POI icons for VGA/WVGA devices

Postby RM1 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:52 pm

More information on MFMFC and MFMPC is found here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1603

First Step in the installation. This step is probably not important, but I did not test it out with the other option.
Install1.jpg

Next, select as follows. I have tried making the "lite" version and the icons were not transferred.
Install2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RM1 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RM1
Contributor

Postby RM1 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:53 pm

MFMFC.typ REVISION
Revision 20100402 - Most icons are Large. Matched to latest MFM POI icon Type and Sub Type HEX referencing.
Revision 20100114 - More icons added, some replaced
Revision 20100110 - First Release

MFMFC.typ REVISION

Revision 20100402 - Most large icons are added.
Revision 20100327 - First Release
Last edited by RM1 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.

RM1
Contributor

Postby RM1 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:53 pm

File Downloads

There is an easier option now to make Large POI icons. Simply download MFM maps for Garmin and click on the "Large Icon" checkbox during the installation process. But if you love the challenge of manually inserting these files, please go ahead to download the files below. :D

MFMFC.rar

MFMPC.rar

FAQs

1. Is this icons set official MFM icons?
NO, it is customized for my own use and for who ever needs it for their VGA/WVGA devices.
2. What type of VGA devices that was tested with these icons?
HTC Diamond2, Asus P565, Nokia 5800 Express
3. Any lag or slowdown with these larger icons?
Not that I noticed, when compared with the original icons with all things kept constant
4. Where do I start if I want to make my own VGA icons?
Go here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1603
5. What tools is needed to make these icons?
Photo editor such as Irfanview which is able to edit by pixels and perform transparencies, Google to search for nice pictures, patience, pretty much learn and try. Icons are made into GIF with transparency (Alpha), although the recommended format is PNG. GIF has the ability to reduce the amount of colors to 256(?) which is a safe method of having the GIF files being accepted by the cgi script. Some PNG files that have >256 colors will be rejected. Maximum icon size is 32 pixels.
6. What advantage does this VGA icons have over original?
Advantages for VGA/WVGA devices. Able to see what POIs are around you as you drive, instead of seeing some small dots on the screen. Another advantage is that with larger icons, using the Lite version (exclude colored polygons), does not make the maps appear to be plain; the large icons enhances the plain looking "lite" maps.
7. How can I improve on the lag/sluggish display?
The answer is the same as for using standard icons. Use MFM lite by checking on the options for "Exclude colored Polygons(less laggy)" when generating the gmapsupp.img file. The improvement in the lag is noticeable, about equivalent to a Nuvi 205W performance (205W with non-lite maps).
8. What are the Pro's and Con's of QVGA and VGA displays?
VGA has higher resolution (640x480 or 800x480 for WVGA) and the images produced on the LCD screens are sharper, more clarity with finer edges. QVGA or Quarter VGA has 320x240 pixels and the images produced are distinctively inferior to VGA, with noticeable pixels and less sharp. On its own, it is acceptable, just don't place it next to a VGA screen. Apart from better images from a VGA device, it seems for Garmin MXT there is a disadvantage in terms of lag, as VGA displays have to work harder than QVGA hardware, thus making the lag worse off. Even a 800MHz Asus P565 has about the same amount of lag compared to HTC Diamond 2 running at 528MHz. Perhaps it boils down to display hardware and driver implementations.
9. Tips on making the VGA icons?
Safe the file in GIF to be safe, as GIF allows transparencies and limits the amount of colors. Sizing is a variable, not all icons are 32x32. Bright colors tend to make an icon look larger than a dark colored icon of the same size. So a Shell logo with bright colors are made 28pixels while a dark colored "CoffeBean" icon is made 32pixels. Besides color perception, shape such as a round, square or rectangle play tricks for the human eye perception. Round and Square icons will look bigger than rectangular ones. Since for rectangular icons, the max size is 32pixels, the other ordinates is much smaller. Example, Round icons such as Shell, square icons such as Secret Recipe will look more outstanding than a rectangular icon such as KTM. To balance things out, it is good to place them together and see what is the best size. I use PowerPoint as a tool for such comparison process. Using transparency allows the icons to have a reduced cluttering effect on the map. As the icons with certain areas shaded out as transparent, they won't look that bulky, thus it doesn't clutter when it is next to other nearby icons. Icon importance also determines what needs to stand out, and what needs to stay less noticeable. Example is Residence icons which is almost everywhere on the map, I made them much smaller. Parking logo is also made smaller as it is a Square and to me, not important to stand out. Graphics Design of the icon also plays a part in sizing. Try, experiment.... there's no hard rules to it, only how it turns out.
Last edited by RM1 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:11 am, edited 9 times in total.

tlchuan
Polygon Mapper
Location: Subang Jaya (x10 & Oregon 300)Garmin 255w sgmy, 2575RLM, Wayway 5035

Postby tlchuan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:38 pm

thank for the effort :thumbsup:

pakaque

Postby pakaque » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:45 pm

RM1 wrote:FAQs

1. Is this icon sets official MFM icons?
NO, it is customized for my own use and for who ever needs it.
2. What type of VGA devices that was tested with these icons?
HTC Diamond2, Asus P565, Nokia 5800 Express
3. Any lag or slowdown?
Not that I noticed
4. Where do I start if I want to make my own VGA icons?
Go here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1603
5. What tools is needed to make these icons?
Photo editor such as Irfanview, Google to search for nice pictures, patience, pretty much learn and try.
6. What advantage does this VGA icons have over original?
Advantages for VGA/WVGA devices. Able to see what POIs are around you as you drive, instead of seeing some small dots on the screen.

A very commendable effort indeed. You did mention that using this map in your HTC Touch Diamond 2 seems do not lag. why does mine quite laggy? did you use the 3D view when navigating?

RM1
Contributor

Postby RM1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:10 pm

There is always a lag in 3D mode. What I meant is the larger icons does not contribute to more lag or slowdowns.

My next try would be to test it on 'MFM lite'.

RM1
Contributor

Postby RM1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:59 pm

MFM Lite version works. Installation: when dialog asked to create gmapsupp.img, replace the MFMFC.typ file with the large icon typ file, then select :

1. Exclude Color Polygons
2. Include Road POI
3. "Full"

uncle wong
Regional Mapper
Location: Kuala Lumpur - Selangor - Johor I did not have a GPS device

Postby uncle wong » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:47 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Enjoy the GPS’s life!

thiang
Polygon Mapper
Location: USJ (Garmin-Asus A10 Taiwan Version) & Ipad Mini Retina with Street Pilot MY/SG

Postby thiang » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:02 pm

:ko: :ko: :ko:
山不在高 有仙則名 水不在深 有龍則靈

Return to “Library”