What should I do with MSM?

Archive for previous discussions and feedback which are not relevant currently due to MFM's progress

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Re: What should I do with MSM?

Postby cruiser » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:27 am

Somehow, I have no qualms with either as both are striving to release maps for the community on either divide.

Entering the 1st den (MSM and now MFM) is like coming home among brudders... some nice, some snotty,
some thinking abit elite with their PhDs to be accomplished... :thumbsdown:

Those that had theirs are considerably humble which I respect without envy or spite and for the rest???
They're the chin-chye and friendly, best to have always which is what we should sustain so we embody a common bond that leads to a longer path with humility through generosity in map contributions...which is motivational too!!! \:D/

Sayyy, whatever happened to brudder Redshadow? Any news of him? I know he ate a damn basketful load of durians....?!!! =P~
Image ~ Cruiser ~

singawon
Valued Contributor

Postby singawon » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:31 am

cruiser wrote:

Sayyy, whatever happened to brudder Redshadow? Any news of him? I know he ate a damn basketful load of durians....?!!! =P~

He went to train as F1 driver after eating the durian, according to the intelligence.... :mrgreen:
诸恶莫作 众善奉行 自净其意 是诸佛教

aed

Postby aed » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:59 pm

i will contribute to both group... and hope someone can make my little contributions to perfect our malaysian maps... lets work together :thumbsup:
BETTER START LATE THAN NEVER START

dotsha

Postby dotsha » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:02 pm

sabre23t wrote:
ahbahari wrote:BTW what is OSM?

OSM = http://www.openstreetmap.org .
As per my signature I'm currently active in all three: MSM, MFM and OSM. My main activity in OSM is editing Klang town and vicinity. O:)

I took a look at OSM for malaysia a year ago and it was so empty I didn't bother. But thanks to your post I revisited it again and now am a bit "inspired", and am going to upload all my past tracks there also, with my first goal being to connect my place in sg buloh with my in-law's place in ipoh. Ipoh is totally uncharted there ... 8-)

So for now, MFM, MSM and OSM will get my tracks ...

Regards,
.sha

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:22 pm

singawon wrote:He went to train as F1 driver after eating the durian, according to the intelligence.... :mrgreen:

Aaaah, so thats where he's emptying his bowels... in a F1 pit... :rolleyes: will SMS him a short flag of support... :champ:

Halleluyaahhh... brudder Shadow just confirmed... he's Marshalling till end of this month... so, lets hope his hands are not stressed out... WTG there brudder... cheque them if they speed out of line... oops, lane it should be... :mrgreen:
Image ~ Cruiser ~

ayam390

Postby ayam390 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48 am

:-k after i read few page of this topic now i know a bit what happening here.
Is it this website = old style MSM?
and we will enjoy like last time what we did!
Free map, track, POI and have joke with each other.
Welcoming newbie. let them have our map fist, then they will contribute until when they feel shy because took too much and no contribution from here just like me :mrgreen:
And I'll keep contribute to MFM and MSM.
But now a day, MSM make me feel like they're more like a businessman.
No more the feeling and spirit that i have last time. :( :cry:
Forgive my poor English

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:35 am

ayam390 wrote::-k after i read few page of this topic now i know a bit what happening here.
Is it this website = old style MSM?

But now a day, MSM make me feel like they're more like a businessman.
No more the feeling and spirit that i have last time. :( :cry:

Adohhh... jangan lah nangis itu macham... it may be back to square one for you but at least, now, you can start afresh and help improve and delight to a higher level given the experience you "presumably" went through... :-k

Unlike me, I jumpa this place very late and still, also late like on the other side with MSM, have the fun & gains serve you from both worlds... make it work for you lah... thats the way to spin the wheel... WOOT!!! :thumbsup:
Image ~ Cruiser ~

sabre23t

Postby sabre23t » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:29 am

dotsha wrote:... now am a bit "inspired", and am going to upload all my past tracks there also, with my first goal being to connect my place in sg buloh with my in-law's place in ipoh [...] So for now, MFM, MSM and OSM will get my tracks ...

Ah dotsha. You're my old young friend from Infonet time, right? Long time no hear. :-'
I'm glad to see more active contributors at OSM.

Mmm ... Have you found http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/ "OpenStreetMap for Garmin GPS Units"? That site automatically generates Garmin maps for predefined area in OSM, including Malaysia. Currently, the Malaysia map there is dated 14aug08.
4SQ, Waze, GMM, MSM, MFM & OSM ;-}

nyem
Valued Contributor

Postby nyem » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:19 am

sabre23t wrote:Have you found http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/ "OpenStreetMap for Garmin GPS Units"? That site automatically generates Garmin maps for predefined area in OSM, including Malaysia. Currently, the Malaysia map there is dated 14aug08.

Can also use http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/mapsetview.php?id=384 to check for routability of OSM map. OSM coverage of Malaysia is still sparse, but some parts (Muar/Segamat) is currently better than MFM v1.02 :thumbsup:

I'd like to post mp format of those sections where MFM is lacking, but not sure whether MFM will accept OSM data.
http://flavors.me/nyem

jmleng
Valued Contributor

Postby jmleng » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:32 pm

At the end of the day, water will find its own level .... I don't think there is any need to agonise over which site to go or not to go to.

For me, what is important is that everyone should understand a few facts (also to summarise the position for folks who don't want to bother with the history):

1. MSM was one, we now have MSM and MFM.
2. MFM was formed because of some fundamental differences in opinion on the direction of the maps. The chiefs of MSM believe going down the money route is fine. MFM chiefs are against making money from the maps for what is a community effort.
3. MFM - tada censorship on MSM. Ant has made it clear he supports folks supporting/participating in both.
4. MSM - MFM is a bad word, censors the URL etc etc.
5. MFM has maps which are in line with the ownership framework which we argued at MSM previously. No mapper, no map, which is why we have missing tiles. The goal is to re-build the missing tiles using community spirit, blood, sweat, tears and a truckload of passion.
6. MFM has Ant, the mother-of-all mapping guru's. MSM locked Ant out.

Don't agonise over which site to go/participate because no one is asking or needing you to choose - do what makes sense to you given the facts above. After a while, you will figure out which site makes sense and which doesn't ....

At the end of the day, it is just about maps ...

Return to “Archive (Garmin)”