What should I do with MSM?

Archive for previous discussions and feedback which are not relevant currently due to MFM's progress

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

tks

Re: What should I do with MSM?

Postby tks » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:21 am

I thought this was a MSM copycat site until I realised that so many councillors, mappers, moderators, senior members etc etc of MSM are here. Sorry for asking so many questions but

1. How come I did not read about the difference in opinion between mappers? is there a thread somewhere in MSM that discusses this?

2. Which map, MSM or MFM, is currently more updated? I am quite confused.

3. Will this MFM map be updated for Singapore? I don't see a feedback thread for Singapore.

4. Is there a way in which MSM and MFM can work together for a better map? I think there is duplication of work now. Or triplication of work if you include the third site mentioned by someone.

apisfires
Location: MELAKA NEGERI BERSEJARAH- ARAU PERLIS INDERA KAYANGAN (Garmin XT S60)

Postby apisfires » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:29 am

sabre23t wrote:
ahbahari wrote:So after this no more contribution in MSM? :-?

Your choice. Personally I would still be contributing to both (or three if you include OSM). Which one I contribute more to, would be the one that incorporates my changes into the maps the fastest. :mrgreen:

yes...
i hope that forum can give update map fast...
we should choose map day...
like 1st Feb, etc..
how? :peace:
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE AAAA, WE ALL HAVE FREE MAP NOW!!!!! ITS EASY ONLY,
ALL 4 ONE ONE 4 ALL

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:33 am

tks wrote:I thought this was a MSM copycat site until I realised that so many councillors, mappers, moderators, senior members etc etc of MSM are here. Sorry for asking so many questions but

1. How come I did not read about the difference in opinion between mappers? is there a thread somewhere in MSM that discusses this?

2. Which map, MSM or MFM, is currently more updated? I am quite confused.

3. Will this MFM map be updated for Singapore? I don't see a feedback thread for Singapore.

4. Is there a way in which MSM and MFM can work together for a better map? I think there is duplication of work now. Or triplication of work if you include the third site mentioned by someone.

1. Most of the important issues are discussed in private.

2. I am not sure because MSM's next update is not released yet. Preview only :-'

3. MFM does not cover SG yet.

4. If there has not been irreconcilable difference of opinion, MFM will not have existed. There will be duplication of work but it also means choice for the public and hopefully friendly competition to be better than each other. Most importantly, the persons who spend the most effort, the mappers, have to be in a comfortable environment to enjoy their hobby.

apisfires
Location: MELAKA NEGERI BERSEJARAH- ARAU PERLIS INDERA KAYANGAN (Garmin XT S60)

Postby apisfires » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:37 am

ANT you right...
if u wanna do domething,
u must be interest to do it..
keikhlasan adalah penting kepada kita semua... :-({|=
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE AAAA, WE ALL HAVE FREE MAP NOW!!!!! ITS EASY ONLY,
ALL 4 ONE ONE 4 ALL

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:37 am

doraemon wrote:Hi guys,

I am a bit blur blur here... Need someone to enlighten me a bit... :ko: :ko:

1) Maps updates in MFM are going to share with MSM for future updates?
2) Members from MSM still uploads their contribution to MSM. So, should I still do consolidation from MSM and bring it here or just ignore their contribution?
3) I am still PRK-R moderator in MSM, should i resign or just ignore?
4) Members that do contribution in MSM do PM me to take note on their submissions. Should i tell them to join here? What should i reply?

I've been thinking of this for a few days already. What should I do by not letting the fellow members disappointed.

Any good suggestions? :tq: :tq:

1. MFM and MSM will offer separate maps.
2. I will prefer informing them about MFM and let them choose whether to contribute at the forum. However, there is this issue.
3. Your choice, bro. We have bros Redstorm and Silverbeauty assuming roles at both forums also.
4. If you choose to continue as MSM's PRK forum moderator, you should talk to the next MSM mapper for PRK to discuss the new procedure.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:39 am

As bro Sabre23t has reminded, both MSM and MFM offers free maps to the public. I reiterate my advice to contribute tracks and feedbacks to both forums. :prayer:

sabre23t

Postby sabre23t » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:42 am

tks wrote:How come I did not read about the difference in opinion between mappers? is there a thread somewhere in MSM that discusses this?

See Antyong's post in MSM on 7sep08 ...
* Starting a new forum with KL-R and EPM-R. Also see Antyong's personal blog subsequent posts.
See Dynamix (OngCC)'s post in MSM on 18sep08 ...
* NPM & Perak installer
4SQ, Waze, GMM, MSM, MFM & OSM ;-}

doraemon
Polygon Mapper

Postby doraemon » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:37 am

antyong wrote:1. MFM and MSM will offer separate maps.
2. I will prefer informing them about MFM and let them choose whether to contribute at the forum. However, there is this issue.
3. Your choice, bro. We have bros Redstorm and Silverbeauty assuming roles at both forums also.
4. If you choose to continue as MSM's PRK forum moderator, you should talk to the next MSM mapper for PRK to discuss the new procedure.

1) So members will have 2 maps to choose from MFM or MSM.
2) Sure i will try to tell them about MFM, but I read MSM already filtered this site URL. Looks like i will have to copy the URL picture from sunn's posting. Hope that will not get filtered. I think the reason behind filtering this site's URL is the top afraid that the members will not continue to contribute to MSM.
3) So since both MFM and MSM offer free maps to the community, I will continue to serve MSM members unless the new mapper of PRK in MSM strip my role.
4) Seriously, I can take MSM contribution to update here? Although both offer free maps but it sounds like stealing other peoples contribution... Antyong, what is the agreement between MFM and MSM on this issue?

stimix wrote:Bro Doraemon..Take it easy.... :mrgreen: Me too still a moderator there & still giving unlockcode although I hv since relaxing my stand on giving out.... :oops: :mrgreen:

I am willing to help giving out unlock codes to the ordinary innocent members since there is still no mapper in MSM for PRK-R at this moment. But how to do it? Just take their GPSID and PM to unlockmap?
Last edited by doraemon on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:47 am

doraemon wrote:4) Seriously, I can take MSM contribution to update here? Although both offer free maps but it sounds like stealing other peoples contribution... Antyong, what is the agreement between MFM and MSM on this issue

NO. Please don't take anything from MSM. We have no agreement. They are not even talking to me.

badrol
Polygon Mapper

Postby badrol » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:56 pm

I'm being selfish here, so tembak me later if you wish.

This is my stands:

1. I agree that the map source (the.mp files) belong to the mapper
2. The tracklogs, feedback etc, belong to who ever did the tracking etc.
3. Any feedback at MSM should remain in MSM unless the owner post it here (try to avoid any conflic between MSM & MFM as we are all freinds)
4. While I agree that map data belong to mappers, I do believe when Adil said
adilothman wrote:But the mapsets that was helped built by this massive community remain and will remain here. There is no issue of anyone taking away and depriving the community of what has been created by the community through all these years. The mapsets would not be what they are today without the community's input and they can't be taken away.

so, hopefuly some compromise can be reached (i can only hope)
5. I will contribute here and MSM depending on which area is lacking in which map (the good side is there are a lot of area now for both site)

Now, this is the reality,

All this while the map is free and some mappers have publicly declare it (I know Antyong did), there are a lot of circumstances that can go beyond the mappers control or mappers may back track from what they said etc.

Do I trust the mappers (both MSM & MFM), yes, I do but am I willing to put my money...That is a different matter.

So my motto is "be prepared". Should any of the site (MSM or MFM) decided that the map is not free anymore or things went beyond the mappers control (IP is part of the deceased properties and will go to the next of kin or something like that), I can have an altenative.

This is my stand.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Archive (Garmin)”