What should I do with MSM?

Archive for previous discussions and feedback which are not relevant currently due to MFM's progress

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Re: What should I do with MSM?

Postby moeyhc » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:46 am

What should I do with MSM.....

I'll carrying on the same way it has been. The important issue here is not the difference of opinions of the two sites but the bigger picture of having fun with our hobby. Both sites need our support to move forward and neither can claim to be independent 'yet'. With healthy competitions we shall be the beneficiary... Cheers to MFM & MSM....
Common Sense Is Not Common.

Redstorm
Contributor

Re: Welcome to malfreemaps

Postby Redstorm » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:48 am

SOSweet wrote:If there is a GG, it would be under MFM banner, I suppose. And of course, it will be announced in this Forum. How about those brothers in MSM who did not aware of this new set up, will miss the opportunity to meet up with all the sifus.
Or another GG will be organised and announced for MSM in the MSM Forum ?

I don't think we should be particular of whether to call it a MFM GG or MSM GG. Having one GG for both forums should suffice. As long as we get as much ppl as we could to attend, then we would have achieved our objective. Of course, you can always announce the same GG in both forums. No point having seperate GG for each forum since many of us here are members in the other forum.
Free beer tomorrow!ImageImage

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:51 am

Redstorm wrote:
SOSweet wrote:If there is a GG, it would be under MFM banner, I suppose. And of course, it will be announced in this Forum. How about those brothers in MSM who did not aware of this new set up, will miss the opportunity to meet up with all the sifus.

I don't think we should be particular of whether to call it a MFM GG or MSM GG. Having one GG for both forums should suffice. As long as we get as much ppl as we could to attend, then we would have achieved our objective. Of course, you can always announce the same GG in both forums. No point having seperate GG for each forum since many of us here are members in the other forum.

But remember "malfreemaps" is a dirty word at MSM and is censored there. If you try posting with this word, the automatic script will change it to the phrase "new site".

So if you're announcing a GG at MSM, bear in mind you're not allowed to mention this site.
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

sunn
Senior Mapper
Location: Shah Alam (HP4150 & SIRF3 BT, HP6515, Etrex Legend HCX, Omnia i900 16GB, Samsung Note 2, Ipad 2

Postby sunn » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:37 am

We will post our MFM GG's Announcement here. If MSM members wants to join us, they are welcome.

We don't want to be misunderstood, don't we. \:D/
It is a merit to forgive others:
The more we forgive the more merit we collect.

(Upload your contribution to MFM drop box if you don't want others to take your contributed tracklogs or POIs. )

SOSweet

Postby SOSweet » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:50 am

tympg wrote:
Redstorm wrote:

But remember "malfreemaps" is a dirty word at MSM and is censored there. If you try posting with this word, the automatic script will change it to the phrase "new site".
So if you're announcing a GG at MSM, bear in mind you're not allowed to mention this site.

That's what I am talking. How the MSM member know about the GG organised by MFM if they are not member here and there is no announcement in MSM ?
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercise & Good Deeds

Redstorm
Contributor

Postby Redstorm » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:04 pm

Well, if mentioning the name of the other forum is considered taboo in each forum, then one simple solution is to organise just one common GG. We only need to publicise the event in each forum; both bearing the same venue and date/time. Am sure SilverBeauty or myself can see to it at both forums.
Free beer tomorrow!ImageImage

KeyWest

Postby KeyWest » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:11 pm

tympg wrote:

One could always type the word differently to avoid the "censorship"
e.g. http://www.m a l f r e e m a p s.com

It'll take some time for them to ban all the combinations. So get creative :mrgreen:

SOSweet

Welcome to malfreemaps

Postby SOSweet » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:17 pm

Redstorm wrote:Well, if mentioning the name of the other forum is considered taboo in each forum, then one simple solution is to organise just one common GG. We only need to publicise the event in each forum; both bearing the same venue and date/time. Am sure SilverBeauty or myself can see to it at both forums.

Bro Redstorm, I think this is the only way to get around the sticky problem. Hopefully, both site admin/owner magnamimously let the GG thread uncensored.
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercise & Good Deeds

hayamaguchi
Valued Contributor
Location: Acme Township, Ulu Michigan, USA (Vista HCx, Nuvi 5000, Mobile PC, MotionX GPS on iPhone)

Postby hayamaguchi » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:29 pm

We had a somewhat similar situation in the iQue 3600 forums, when one group of "sifu's" broke away from the original forum (over advertisements on the forum), and ended up at another forum site. Most rank-and-file members belonged to both forums (like us here).

Like here, the original forum censored any mention of the name of the new, break-away forum. So when we posted in the original forum, we just talked about "the other forum" or "the other place" without mentioning names. We all knew what we were talking about, and that way the forum moderator in the original forum did not get his sensitive feathers ruffled!

Same thing when we were posting in the break-away forum. We just said, "the other place." No need to name names, and everything was ok!

Kaizer

Postby Kaizer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:09 am

My humble two cents...

I'm cool with contributing to both sites, although slight priority will be MFM (no balls carrying here k?). This is because of my slight sour experience in MSM previously.

Hence my shift from an enthusiastic contributor to For the sake of getting updates contributor over at MSM. Anyway, let the dead dogs lie.

To me, a gathering is for the active/enthusiastic member's who choose to put a face to a name. Hence it should be for a specific forum, not a JV gathering. Heck it might create a tense moment if sensitive question arises.

Unless the idea is more of a 'gate crashing' rather than a civilized cuppa colonial tea, then by all means :finga:

Return to “Archive (Garmin)”