Road Hazard Custom POI thread

Archive for previous discussions and feedback which are not relevant currently due to MFM's progress

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Re: Road Hazard Custom POI thread

Postby stratman2 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:28 pm

keong8260 wrote:I think road hazard should include slippery when raining, especially our Malaysia standard highway, for example, Alor Star - Gurun highway, extremely dangerous during raining b'cos of uneven road surface. O:)

You have a valid point there, bro Keong. The problem is that all roads are slippery when wet but there are stretches that are more slippery than others, all conditions being equal. Then there's the issue of tyre aquaplaning which is affected by these variables: vehicle speed, depth of water puddles, tyre design and wear condition, etc.

I would need the exact coordinates of along the Alor Setar-Gurun stretch where those treacherous spots are. :thumbsup:

However, known points of undulating stretches would be more useful, IMO. \:D/
cheers,

Stratman II

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Will do!
Cheers! :tq:

musang_pulut
Polygon Mapper

Postby musang_pulut » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:22 pm

Alert in 2km within bencana area

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dont ask me
Just take it or leave it.....

!EOT

kerusi

Postby kerusi » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:35 pm

Flood area, isn't it? :-k

FauSham
Location: Kelantan [Legend Cx / Nuvi 200(Damage) / Nuvi 760 / Nuvi 265W(New)]

Kelantan: Road Hazard Custom POI thread

Postby FauSham » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:10 pm

Kelantan POI and Road Warning Update (Main Post)

http://www.malfreemaps.com/download/file.php?id=8120

SPEED WARNINGS
60km N5 51.288 E102 13.574 2.0 km
60km N5 55.051 E102 11.297 1.0 km
90km N5 51.919 E102 10.117 1.0 km
FauSham @ Malaysia & Singapore Free Maps - MalFreeMaps
AMATEUR RADIO CALLSIGN: 9W2WFN

stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Re: Kelantan: Road Hazard Custom POI thread

Postby stratman2 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:39 pm

FauSham wrote:SPEED WARNINGS
60km N5 51.288 E102 13.574 2.0 km
60km N5 55.051 E102 11.297 1.0 km
90km N5 51.919 E102 10.117 1.0 km

Updated. :tq:
cheers,

Stratman II

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:18 pm

Bro Stratman II,

I couldn't find a thread on 'Accident Area' so I thought I'd post this here.
1). Shah Alam, Section 6: Intersection between Persiaran Pegawai and Persiaran Raja Muda.
I wrecked my mpv last week because a motorcyclist tried to make an illegal Right turn at the intersection. Prior to this, I've seen, numerous times, motorcyclist and even Kancils (successfully tempting fate) make the right turn at the intersection. They probably saved 3-minutes travel time and 0.05L fuel by NOT taking the roundabout :finga:

2). Two spots near SIRIM Bukit Jalil.
2.1: Intersection between Bukit Jalil Highway and Persiaran Puncak Jalil. Both roads go downhill. Situation worsens if it rains. I've seen cars ended up in the monsoon drain, even one which breached the SIRIM brick fence (car bricked :mrgreen: )
2.2: Intersection bertwen Persiaran Puncak Jalil and Jalan Impian Indah.

The Bukit Jalil Highway (90km/h) is dangerous especially when it rains

Maybe you'd like to consider these spots to be 'Accident Areas'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

nyem
Valued Contributor

Postby nyem » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:25 pm

SureHeboh wrote:Bro Stratman II,

1). Shah Alam, Section 6: Intersection between Persiaran Pegawai and Persiaran Raja Muda.
I wrecked my mpv last week because a motorcyclist tried to make an illegal Right turn at the intersection. Prior to this, I've seen, numerous times, motorcyclist and even Kancils (successfully tempting fate) make the right turn at the intersection. They probably saved 3-minutes travel time and 0.05L fuel by NOT taking the roundabout :finga:

SureHeboh,
All roundabouts in Shah Alam can be considered as 'accident-prone area'

- My car was hit by a lady-driver who did not bother to stop before entering the roundabout - she kept looking at the roundabout traffic instead of the cars in-front.

- When exiting roundabouts check for cars entering the roundabout and taking their first exit, usually they'll not bother to check whether you exist or not. I've lost count with the many near misses I've had.
- If you're driving local cars please expect cars/bikes to immediately jump in-front of you :fire: if you're driving big imported cars they'll behave nice and wait for you to pass by :thumbsup:

Shah Alam has lots of students, you'll need to be extra careful with these young and rowdy drivers.

Bro Stratman2 (who is stratman1?),
Can we include railroad crossings in the POI alerts? I'd like to hear the alert because some crossings are so bad you'll need to really slow down. Attached are some crossings in Tampin/Gemas/Segamat.
railroad-crossings.gdb
http://flavors.me/nyem

stratman2
Valued Contributor

Postby stratman2 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:15 pm

nyem wrote:
Bro Stratman2 (who is stratman1?),
Can we include railroad crossings in the POI alerts? I'd like to hear the alert because some crossings are so bad you'll need to really slow down. Attached are some crossings in Tampin/Gemas/Segamat.
railroad-crossings.gdb

I'm with you, Nyem. Roundabouts, especially in Sec 2 Shah Alam near the UiTM is a rather large roundabout and I usually encounter rowdy students on motorbikes zig-zagging as they please (yeah, like they own the place). That said, if everyone conforms to the universal law of giving way to traffic from the right (that's already circling the roundabout) and watches the vehicle in front of them, there would probably be zero accidents at roundabouts. [-o<

Railroad crossings are one of my ongoing projects, but I put it aside halfway because MFM'ers wanted the speed trap and redlight camera cPOIs ASAP. :mrgreen:

As for "stratman1", you'll have dig for the origins of my Internet nickname in the popular tmnet.communities newsgroup (I assume you know what a newsgroup is, lol). I doubt you'll find archives of my posts dating to 1999 (yes, that's 10 years ago) but you might want to ask the old timers in "tmnet kommies" if they remember who I was. :thumbsup:

BTW, "Sabelt" is/was also an active tmnet communities member. On the newsgroup he went by the nickname "Sabre2/3t" (he says there's a long story behind it) and is currently posting on MSM.
cheers,

Stratman II

stratman2
Valued Contributor

Postby stratman2 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:19 pm

SureHeboh wrote:Bro Stratman II,

2). Two spots near SIRIM Bukit Jalil.
2.1: Intersection between Bukit Jalil Highway and Persiaran Puncak Jalil. Both roads go downhill. Situation worsens if it rains. I've seen cars ended up in the monsoon drain, even one which breached the SIRIM brick fence (car bricked :mrgreen: )
2.2: Intersection bertwen Persiaran Puncak Jalil and Jalan Impian Indah.

The Bukit Jalil Highway (90km/h) is dangerous especially when it rains

Maybe you'd like to consider these spots to be 'Accident Areas'.

Brother Sureheboh,

I apologize for overlooking your post. I did read your post last month but I guess I fell behind in replying. I've already begun to compile an Accident-Prone Spots cPOI, starting with your submission.

:tq: and :good:
cheers,

Stratman II

Return to “Archive (Garmin)”