Road Hazard Custom POI thread

Archive for previous discussions and feedback which are not relevant currently due to MFM's progress

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Re: Road Hazard Custom POIs - post 'em here!

Postby stratman2 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:27 pm

norwadi wrote:Along the way from Kuala Lumpur to Kota Bharu (via Lipis, road 8), there are some POI's of Sharp Bend, Landslide, and Road Construction.
But during my last travel along this road, I did NOT hear any of this alert POI (also NO text alert). Do I miss the required files for these?
I only hear alerts for Speed Camera, Police Roadblock and Police Ambush.

Thanks.

Bro Norwadi,

The reason that you don't get alerts for those areas is because there aren't any GPI files for them yet. #-o You can see the POIs on the map, but then you're supposed to concentrate on the road, not on the GPSr!

I'm in the middle of creating custom GPIs for such hazards and also rural area T-junctions (so far I've collected 400+). Only when the GPI files are completed and installed into your unit, you'll get visual and audio alerts to the POIs. \:D/

I thought the T-junction GPI file would be useful because on long stretches, there's a tendency for one to speed to break the monotony. Cars, motorbikes and lorries also come out of these junctions (sometimes hidden), so the T-junction alert may reduce accidents. :thumbsup:
cheers,

Stratman II

norwadi

Postby norwadi » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:56 pm

Thanks Bro Stratman for the explaination.
You are doing really good job on this Road Hazard Custom POI Project.
:tq: and :good:

mohicans
Valued Contributor

Postby mohicans » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:32 am

Hi!You could also create proximity alert manually upon entering those areas manually and set your desired speed or the radius of alert. :thumbsup:
"When the grey hair is dead,Magua will eat his heart out"

stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Postby stratman2 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:45 pm

norwadi wrote:Thanks Bro Stratman for the explaination.
You are doing really good job on this Road Hazard Custom POI Project.
:tq: and :good:

Thanks, bro Norwadi. I like experimenting with custom GPI files and Tour Guides. I'm going to compile speed traps and other road hazards for MFM. :thumbsup:

In fact, I'm about to release the first draft of my POI file of T-junctions and intersections. :mrgreen:
cheers,

Stratman II

stratman2
Valued Contributor

Postby stratman2 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:47 pm

mohicans wrote:Hi!You could also create proximity alert manually upon entering those areas manually and set your desired speed or the radius of alert. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm aware of that. For complicated POIs I usually use manual proximity alerts as "one-size-doesn't-fit-all". What makes a GPI more challenging is to combine proximity with speed. :nutz:
cheers,

Stratman II

stratman2
Valued Contributor

Re: Road Hazard Custom POIs - Downloads (Updates)

Postby stratman2 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:05 pm

Hi all,

Second version of my road junction custom POI is out. :D

What is it?
It's a large compilation of T-junctions and intersection networks in rural areas and surrounding areas of small towns. Why junctions? Because accidents do occur at junctions, especially on trunk and B-roads.

Changes from Version 1
- Now with over 1,500 junctions and intersections located in Peninsular Malaysia.
- Proximity alerts increased to 450m
- Removed junctions that lead to nowhere, housing estates, industrial estates, settlements, jungle trails, a loop road, etc
- Includes main junctions (not all) in smaller towns
- Custom waypoint icon.
- Visual and voice alerts for all Nuvi models.

How to install
a) Download the attached .rar file to your computer.

b) Select one of the GPI files depending on your Nuvi model. If your Garmin device can play MP3, choose the the MP3 version for its smaller footprint. Nuvi 2xx users must use only the WAV format. Audio announcement alerts do not work with GMXT devices, sorry. :(

c) Copy the desired file preferably into your external SD file, into the \Garmin\POI folder. If you have installed my previous version, delete the old GPI file from your SD (or internal memory).

d) Reboot your unit. Your Nuvi will detect new data on card and press "OK".

e) If you have an external SD card, when prompted to copy the gpi file into your device?, tick "Don't ask me again" and choose "No". You can also copy it into your Nuvi's internal RAM if you choose so.

Hope this is useful to you. \:D/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stratman2 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
cheers,

Stratman II

soulquarianz

Re: Road Hazard Custom POI thread

Postby soulquarianz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:16 am

wow...thanks bro will try this out as i'm heading to kedah, perlis and langkawi end of this month....
Kaiser with GMXT

aceedburn

Postby aceedburn » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:55 am

Indeed a great effort on your part bro stratman. May I suggest that you place the link to download at the first page of this thread, so whenever it gets updated, it would be easy for everyone to download the latest version instead of having to browse through the entire thread.

Good job! =D>
nüvi® 205 & mfm - always takes you home!

zuree
Valued Contributor

Postby zuree » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:44 pm

success!success! thank u bro stratman...hehe don't forget to update :mrgreen: :good:

stratman2
Valued Contributor

Postby stratman2 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:24 pm

aceedburn wrote:Indeed a great effort on your part bro stratman. May I suggest that you place the link to download at the first page of this thread, so whenever it gets updated, it would be easy for everyone to download the latest version instead of having to browse through the entire thread.

Good job! =D>

Thanks for the suggestion, will place my latest update in my first post next time bro Aceedburn! :tq:
cheers,

Stratman II

Return to “Archive (Garmin)”