Status of MFM SG map

Archive for previous discussions and feedback which are not relevant currently due to MFM's progress

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Status of MFM SG map

Postby antyong (retired) » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:33 pm

Dear members,

I will update and clarify in this thread all matters pertaining contribution and the future of our MFM SG map. Please post your questions here.

Startying MFMv1.23, we will temporarily exclude MFM SG map from our mapset. The reason is due to feedback from Jerome that our SG map contains many identical objects and copyright traps of his SG map. I had made visual comparison of both maps and there are indeed similarities which made me very uncomfortable. So Bro OngCC is going to clean up and re-map the affected areas. This process will take some time but we will ultimately get our MFM SG map running again. So please continue to contribute :prayer:

Please follow 3 simple guidelines when you contribute data for SG.
1. Make sure the data is not copied from Jerome's 60000078.img
2. The data is not obtained from Mapsource displaying Jerome's map i.e. clicking on his POIs to get coordinates, etc
3. The data is collected by you personally using your GPS device, GPS software or Google earth images

MFM SG be back.....

alyem
Regional Mapper

Re: Status of MFM SG map

Postby alyem » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:38 pm

antyong wrote:Please follow 3 simple guidelines when you contribute data for SG.1. Make sure the data is not copied from Jerome's 60000078.img
2. The data is not obtained from Mapsource displaying Jerome's map i.e. clicking on his POIs to get coordinates, etc
3. The data is collected by you personally using your GPS device, GPS software or Google earth images

MFM SG be back.....

Just to remind all members... Not just DATA on SG.. but the whole track or POI should come from you personally...
:prayer: :prayer:
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

aceedburn

Postby aceedburn » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:40 pm

this is indeed good news to all. :thumbsup: So please continue contributing and singapore map will be once again part of MFM in not time at all. Those who were previously copying and pasting from jerome's map, well, you know who you are and kindly refrain from doing so again. :finga:
nüvi® 205 & mfm - always takes you home!

WeiQi00
Polygon Mapper

Postby WeiQi00 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:40 pm

Note. :tq:

don't know when can release the MFM SG's map, I need to check which area is untrack, I would like to track it. :mrgreen:
:thumbsup:Our maps are FREE but we need funds to keep this site going. Please support our HOSTING FUND =D> =D> =D>
Thanks for your support. :tq:

chee_loong
Contributor

Postby chee_loong » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:52 pm

Hi Bro antyong,

Is it mean we can only submit track or POI to either 1 parties? Because if we submit to 2 site then both map will have some coordinates for POI.
Is this apply to Malaysia map also?
Just want get things right.
Regards,
Chee Loong (Nuvi 1350)

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:55 pm

chee_loong wrote:Hi Bro antyong,

Is it mean we can only submit track or POI to either 1 parties? Because if we submit to 2 site then both map will have some coordinates for POI.

Applies to Malaysia map also.

You can submit to both sites. Since your track/POI is posted in both forums, nobody can accuse each other of copying :D

chee_loong
Contributor

Postby chee_loong » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:09 pm

antyong wrote:
chee_loong wrote:Hi Bro antyong,

Applies to Malaysia map also.

You can submit to both sites. Since your track/POI is posted in both forums, nobody can accuse each other of copying :D

Haha... Good idea... =D>
Regards,
Chee Loong (Nuvi 1350)

particle
Valued Contributor

Postby particle » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:16 pm

WeiQi00 wrote:don't know when can release the MFM SG's map, I need to check which area is untrack, I would like to track it. :mrgreen:

same here... [-o<

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:20 pm

particle wrote:
WeiQi00 wrote:don't know when can release the MFM SG's map, I need to check which area is untrack, I would like to track it. :mrgreen:

same here... [-o<

Haha.. you both can start tracking.. no need to check on untrack area..
Just like sunday drive... Jalan Jalan Cari Makan.... :mrgreen:
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

edgarchen
Valued Contributor

Postby edgarchen » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Now I understand why there are some hoax appearing in the map..eg.
Definition on Copyright Traps

Publishers frequently use “copyright traps” to prove that someone plagiarized their work. Without evidence of the actual act of plagiarism, it’s difficult to prove that someone publishing a rival phone book, dictionary or encyclopedia didn’t just copy material wholesale from yours, so they insert bits of wholly fictitious information that, if it turns up in the competition’s pages, can be used as proof. Because we’re talking about reference works, these false entries are usually pretty innocuous: you have to look these things up in order to find them, and chances are you’re not looking up something that doesn’t exist.
Everyone contribute a bit, eventually we can enjoy and benefit more in our navigation. :thumbsup:

Return to “Archive (Garmin)”