MFM Strategy Gameplan (Draft)

Archive for previous discussions and feedback which are not relevant currently due to MFM's progress

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

sabre23t

Re: MFM Strategy Gameplan (Draft)

Postby sabre23t » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:36 pm

Nicholas Chan wrote:Roadmap
MFM will undertake a transparent "Opensource" strategy, learning and adapting best practises from a typical Opensource project.
1. Development of "one-click contribute" online platform, allowing the ordinary user to contribute with ease (ie. Google Business Listings)

rcmaps wrote:As for POIs, our project from the very beginning went down a different route.
POIs are not "baked" onto the map tile but are made up of a completely separate map tile of POIs (now due to large size - split into two map tiles - total of nearly up to 100,000 POIs).
All contributions and corrections are done through a website - http://www.zenbu.co.nz/

antyong wrote:My request to Nicholas to keep things simple at the beginning. Propose some small projects that are related to our current activities and within our current ability to achieve. Guide us through from start to end.

Perhaps the first "small project" could be that "one-click contribute online platform" initially limited to POIs. The development could be based on that NZ POIs website http://www.zenbu.co.nz/ or similar platform. Nicholas? :-k
4SQ, Waze, GMM, MSM, MFM & OSM ;-}

colalite
Valued Contributor

Postby colalite » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:39 pm

chaicka wrote:I think a small IT team is required to setup and maintain the infra (such as CVS and SVN) so as to make data management easier.

Concurrent Versions System (CVS), also known as the Concurrent Versioning System, is a software/data revision control system to keep track of all work and all changes in a set of files, and allows several developers/mappers (potentially widely separated in location and/or time) to collaborate.

Subversion (SVN) is the next level of CVS where it allows subset of the main data to be created/dedicated and work on by individuals and later merge back into the main data.

I know that Noah's team on Masmap are using SVN to manage mapping submissions. It's great ease of use for anyone. Simply install a client (opensource), create a folder on your PC, enable that folder to pull/push from server. All the .mp files are replicated. All submissions have version numbering + comment (if you input).

All software required are opensourcehub, which means no cost (except cost of having the server space to host the data). It's much structured and organized way which reduce overhead of administration and definitely better than FTP submission method.

The senior mappers can concentrate on more productive work and compilation than administrative overhead just to gather the submissions from various sub-mappers (eg. polygon mappers).

Hi Bro Chaicka,
Many thanks for the explanation. :tq:

feiming
Valued Contributor

Postby feiming » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:37 am

I think instead of major restructuring,maybe we should try to get some simple activity automated.

Eg. collection of contribution.As for now,mappers have to go thru each forum post in order to gather the contribution.

I would like to propose a submission system where user upload POI and track contribution in gdb or gpx file,and the system will append all the contribution into 1 file.

The appended file can be view by anyone(in google maps or etc) in order to get it verified and only downloadable by mappers,to avoid other from stealing it.

The system can also be used to gather CPOI but not in the same system.Mapper and CPOI compiler might confused over POI.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:50 am

feiming wrote:I think instead of major restructuring,maybe we should try to get some simple activity automated.

Eg. collection of contribution.As for now,mappers have to go thru each forum post in order to gather the contribution.

I would like to propose a submission system where user upload POI and track contribution in gdb or gpx file,and the system will append all the contribution into 1 file.

The appended file can be view by anyone(in google maps or etc) in order to get it verified and only downloadable by mappers,to avoid other from stealing it.

The system can also be used to gather CPOI but not in the same system.Mapper and CPOI compiler might confused over POI.

Let's work on that :) I think it would be especially useful for CPOIs and our Travel Guide project.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:53 am

What we need desperately:

More members to take charge of our expanding side projects:
- Travel guides
- CPOIs especially in SG
- Junction view artists
- 3D modelers
- Web programmers
- Tutorial & Guide authors

We need, not so desperately,
- PR officers
- Event organizers
- Legal advisers

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:11 am

antyong wrote:What we need desperately:

More members to take charge of our expanding side projects:
- Travel guides
- CPOIs especially in SG
- Junction view artists
- 3D modelers
- Web programmers
- Tutorial & Guide authors

We need, not so desperately,
- PR officers
- Event organizers
- Legal advisers

PR officers, why MFM going to need it? :-?

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:52 am

keong8260 wrote:
PR officers, why MFM going to need it? :-?

Look at it on the longterm benefits to all involved. Effective Presentation to public and Overhead Institutions and Promotion to the mass public as a result will accomplish the core goals on this passion and pursuit.

It will also achieve better understanding and wider support which then enhances the growth for MFM... think and devise strategy here... :wink: :thumbsup:

:champ: :rox: :champ:
Image ~ Cruiser ~

feiming
Valued Contributor

Postby feiming » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:21 pm

antyong wrote:
feiming wrote:I think instead of major restructuring,maybe we should try to get some simple activity automated.

Let's work on that :) I think it would be especially useful for CPOIs and our Travel Guide project.

as i don't have much time to program it,i'll explain how it can be done.

all uploaded file in gpx or gdb(convert to gpx using gpsbabel).Since gpx is plain text,it should be easy to manipulate and group them all(track and POI) up into a single gpx file.This gpx file should only be made available to mappers.Respective mappers only need to download this gpx file and extract the information related to their areas.

The same gpx file is then convert to kml file to be displayed in google map.However,I haven't think of how to protect the kml file from falling into competitors' hands

rcmaps
VIP Mapper

Postby rcmaps » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:56 pm

sabre23t wrote:
Nicholas Chan wrote:Roadmap
MFM will undertake a transparent "Opensource" strategy, learning and adapting best practises from a typical Opensource project.
1. Development of "one-click contribute" online platform, allowing the ordinary user to contribute with ease (ie. Google Business Listings)

rcmaps wrote:As for POIs, our project from the very beginning went down a different route.
POIs are not "baked" onto the map tile but are made up of a completely separate map tile of POIs (now due to large size - split into two map tiles - total of nearly up to 100,000 POIs).
All contributions and corrections are done through a website - http://www.zenbu.co.nz/

antyong wrote:My request to Nicholas to keep things simple at the beginning. Propose some small projects that are related to our current activities and within our current ability to achieve. Guide us through from start to end.

Perhaps the first "small project" could be that "one-click contribute online platform" initially limited to POIs. The development could be based on that NZ POIs website http://www.zenbu.co.nz/ or similar platform. Nicholas? :-k

Are you guys still interested in pursuing the "Zenbu" concept?

I just had an email from the founder that he is looking to expand Zenbu beyond NZ and I immediately thought that Malaysia / Singapore would be a great next step.
http://www.rcmaps.nzopengps.org/
Home of Free auto routing Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, New Zealand Topo, Samoa, Niue Garmin GPS maps

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:55 pm

rcmaps wrote:Are you guys still interested in pursuing the "Zenbu" concept?

I just had an email from the founder that he is looking to expand Zenbu beyond NZ and I immediately thought that Malaysia / Singapore would be a great next step.

An excellent step with expansion... one small step for the region and one giant Map for MFM and its Mappers!!! :thumbsup:

I've split this topic to Using Zenbu for MFM POI submission ... for further discussion on the POIs using Zenbu. -sabre23t 3sep09
Image ~ Cruiser ~

Return to “Archive (Garmin)”