some places should have optional / avoidance route

Archive for previous discussions and feedback which are not relevant currently due to MFM's progress

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

exz8
Polygon Mapper

some places should have optional / avoidance route

Postby exz8 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:09 pm

please give an optional / avoidance route at area like golf coarse, learning place such as UPM, camp like army camp such as terendak camp malacca and trail for pedastrian.

this is because at this place, it might have security and not all people are allowed to enter here. so the user of gps should change their route again and this cause of wasting many of time.

this because my experience from nilai and go to klcc not using the toll road.
it route me at UPM and re route also routing around UPM campus area that only student are allowed to enter. that area are so big so that gps still routing around that area.

tympg
Senior Mapper

Re: some places should have optional / avoidance route

Postby tympg » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:00 pm

As far as I know, there is no way for the mapper to trigger in the Garmin software to turn on or off routing through a particular set of roads or area. We can only manually set the various road avoidance or area avoidance in our own unit.

I wish there was a "Private Compound" category for road polylines and we could tick to select Avoid Private Compound Roads.

In practice you could ask the mapper to disconnect the specific compound roads from the public road system so that it never routes through the compound.
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:20 pm

What about "seasonal road closures"? :mrgreen:

yc1437

Postby yc1437 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Pasar malam :rolleyes:
时间存在的惟一理由是,如此才不会所有事情同时发生 - 爱因斯坦

GPS: Nuvi 3790

yc1437

Postby yc1437 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:33 pm

tympg wrote:As far as I know, there is no way for the mapper to trigger in the Garmin software to turn on or off routing through a particular set of roads or area. We can only manually set the various road avoidance or area avoidance in our own unit.

I wish there was a "Private Compound" category for road polylines and we could tick to select Avoid Private Compound Roads.

In practice you could ask the mapper to disconnect the specific compound roads from the public road system so that it never routes through the compound.

But if we are in eg university compound looking for the faculty then will turn into trouble...
时间存在的惟一理由是,如此才不会所有事情同时发生 - 爱因斯坦

GPS: Nuvi 3790

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:02 pm

Garmin commercial map also got this problem too, I try it at USM at Penang and the result... drive thru it! :-k

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:27 am

yc1437 wrote:
tympg wrote:...ask the mapper to disconnect the specific compound roads...
But if we are in eg university compound looking for the faculty then will turn into trouble...

If you're already inside the compound, then there's no problem routing within the area. The problem arises if you're outside and you want to find a specific place within the campus, or, you're in the campus and want to go to some place outside. Unfortunately we can't have our cake and eat it.

nyem
Valued Contributor

Postby nyem » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:29 pm

Maybe it is possible to set the connecting roads to these areas as alleys or tracks, so that when we are set to fastest route it'll ignore these roads. This way the road will remain connected. Just an idea.. :-k
http://flavors.me/nyem

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:47 pm

nyem wrote:Maybe it is possible to set the connecting roads to these areas as alleys or tracks, so that when we are set to fastest route it'll ignore these roads. This way the road will remain connected. Just an idea.. :-k

Actually, already implemented at USM (N5.35712 E100.30457).

sabre23t

Postby sabre23t » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:25 pm

tympg wrote:
nyem wrote:Maybe it is possible to set the connecting roads to these areas as alleys or tracks, so that when we are set to fastest route it'll ignore these roads. This way the road will remain connected. Just an idea.. :-k

Actually, already implemented at USM (N5.35712 E100.30457).

I see all the roads in USM are defined as alleys. You can also use residential roads set with lower speed limits to discourage routing. That may be slightly more preferable for cosmetic and zoom level reasons. Alleys will be hidden while residential roads appears at certain zoom level.

MFM v1.34 with Mapsource medium details, will show a blank USM at 300m zoom (can only see residential roads), only zooming in to 200m level can we see the details (both residentials and alleys).
4SQ, Waze, GMM, MSM, MFM & OSM ;-}

Return to “Archive (Garmin)”