Custom POI Download - Sharp Bends (V3.6)(120513)

Feedback for our road information and food recommendation POIs

Moderators: wwloon, alharis299, Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our custom POIs
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Custom POI Download - Sharp Bends (V3.6)(120513)

Postby stratman2 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:29 pm

Hi all,

Updates to the MFM Sharp Bends Custom POI. :)

Features:

- Over 800 sharp bends POIs scattered among Peninsular Malaysia.
- Alerts trigger at speeds of 40km/h onwards.
- Covers mostly rural A and B-roads, with some bends in certain towns and cities.
- Custom icon
- Proximity alerts between 100m to 400m, depending on the road.
- Slightly louder voice files without audio clipping.
- Voice alerts for all Nuvi models except for GMXT platform devices.

Installation:

1. Download the zipped file and extract its contents.

2. Choose one of the GPI files. Nuvi 2xx users must install only the WAV version. GMXT users can use the MP3 format for its compact size, but you will not hear the voice announcements.

3. Copy the desired GPI file into either your unit or memory card. The folder must be named "\Garmin\POI". If it doesn't exist in your SD card, create the folder manually. If you have my previous version 1 of this cPOI, delete it manually.

4. Reboot your unit. If you had chosen to install the GPI file into your SD card, your Nuvi will inform you that it has found new data. When prompted to copy the file into your device, tick "Don't Ask Me Again" and select "No". Your Nuvi doesn't need to have the GPI copied to your internal memory - it can read GPI files directly from the external card.

5. Ensure that your unit's alerts for Custom POIs are turned on and the audio settings set to "Continuous-All Alerts".

Hope this is useful to you! :champ:

Send feedback to me, thanks.

Download here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12828
Last edited by alharis299 on Mon May 14, 2012 12:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Latest Version Available v3.3
cheers,

Stratman II

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Re: Custom POI download - Sharp Bends

Postby keong8260 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:15 am

Many many thanks!!!
多谢! 多谢! 多谢! 多谢!
:tq: :good: :tq:

Luckyme

Postby Luckyme » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:25 am

:tq: Bro Stratman2 you are the :champ:
Just downloaded the file and will install in the Nuvi, can test it out once there is opportunity. :mrgreen:
:good: Cheers

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:24 am

Bro stratman2,

:good:

Instead of creating one proximity point with between 100m to 400m radius, can you try creating the proximity points at a point before the sharp bend itself? Make this point on 10m in radius. That way, drivers on other roads will not receive the speed warning. Please refer to my attached gdb for better understanding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Postby stratman2 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:11 am

antyong wrote:Bro stratman2,

:good:

Instead of creating one proximity point with between 100m to 400m radius, can you try creating the proximity points at a point before the sharp bend itself? Make this point on 10m in radius. That way, drivers on other roads will not receive the speed warning. Please refer to my attached gdb for better understanding.

Hi Bro Antyong,

Many thanks for your suggestion, I am a fan of your mapping work. 8-) I did think this over sometime ago and mulled over the placement of trigger waypoints and their radii.

However, I'm not sure if a mere 10m proximity will be effective from the safety perspective. For one thing, once a driver has passed that particular point there won't be any more alerts. He or she may not notice that one and only alert (distraction on the phone, talking to passengers, in-car radio too loud, their mind being elsewhere, etc). "Huh? What was that? What was it saying?"

Therefore a 400m radius means as long as the driver is above 60 km/h within the perimeter the alert will continue to trigger. (I call it nagging, lol) :wink:

I'm familiar with that stretch and it has claimed many lives before. Given your suggested placed marker, I measured it at 210 meters before the apex of that bend. In a worst-case scenario, at 130km/h the car would reach the apex in exactly five seconds. Putting into account the delay of the Garmin unit giving off the alert plus other overheads like the reflex time of the driver and the effective braking time of the car, that would probably shave off another two seconds off. Too close for comfort, if you will. :cry:

At 400 meters, the safety margin is increased to 11 seconds. That should give ample time for the most dare-devil driver to react and stomp on the brakes ](*,) . To be frank, I've yet to test that bend myself from both directions so I don't really know if Damansara-bound vehicles will equally receive the trigger.

In the course of learning how to set up custom GPIs, I read that the waypoint has to be placed exactly on a Garmin recognized road and you must be on that road itself, otherwise it won't alert you. I'm not too sure about this and I don't travel that much these days.

That's why I need people to actually test this out. O:)
cheers,

Stratman II

aceedburn

Postby aceedburn » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:01 pm

great job yet again bro stratman. you are surely the road safety warden of MFM. =D>
nüvi® 205 & mfm - always takes you home!

stratman2
Valued Contributor

Postby stratman2 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:04 pm

aceedburn wrote:great job yet again bro stratman. you are surely the road safety warden of MFM. =D>

Thanks for the positive comments, everyone. \:D/

Me a safety traffic warden? No lah, you should see how I take sharp corners and when I feel like it. :evil:

But I do drive responsibly though, I don't speed in residential areas, don't go past red lights, always flash at the car in front when overtaking (this is a custom in Western countries to alert the driver in front), use my signal when changing lanes, never overtake along double lines and the fastest I've driven on expressways was only 175 km/h (that was in a Volvo S60 2.0T - in that car, the sense of speed is blurred with the sturdiness of the chassis and excellent NVH insulation). OK, that was a one-time thing...lol..

The most important thing in driving to me, is situation awareness and knowing the upper limits of your car and anticipating road conditions. O:)
cheers,

Stratman II

nyem
Valued Contributor

Postby nyem » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:35 pm

Good job stratman :champ: :champ: :champ:

Here's some error and change request

Sharp Bend-Jalan Renchong2 is actually a T-Junction. I don't have the tracklogs to Liang Batu yet, so I draw how the junction should look like.
Sharp-Bend-JalanRenchong2.png

Can you create 2 markers for Sharp Bend-JalanPagoh-BukitKepong2. One coming from north, and another one from south.
Sharp-Bend-JalanPagoh-BukitKepong2.png

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://flavors.me/nyem

pauchai
Regional Mapper

Postby pauchai » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:48 pm

:tq: bery usefull for drivers like Micheal Shoemaker :mrgreen:

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
http://www.facebook.com/xuandefengshui

stratman2
Valued Contributor

Postby stratman2 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:22 pm

nyem wrote:Good job stratman :champ: :champ: :champ:

Here's some error and change request

Sharp Bend-Jalan Renchong2 is actually a T-Junction. I don't have the tracklogs to Liang Batu yet, so I draw how the junction should look like.
Sharp-Bend-JalanRenchong2.png

Can you create 2 markers for Sharp Bend-JalanPagoh-BukitKepong2. One coming from north, and another one from south.
Sharp-Bend-JalanPagoh-BukitKepong2.png

Thanks.

Thanks for the additions, Nyem. I'll incorporate your revisions in my next release.

:tq:
cheers,

Stratman II

Return to “MFM Custom POI Feedback”