I have finally completed the compilation of Redlight Camera Alerts CPOI for SG and the files are really to be shared with the community.
- Over 200 individual cam alerts
- Directional alert
- 2 different custom icon size to choose from based on individual preference
Installation procedures :
- Download the zipped file with the type of audio format (Wave, MP3, or voiceless) corresponding to your unit or preference.
- Extract its contents to you computer.
- Each zipped file contains two individual file. One with big icon and another one with small icon. (Refer to topic “File naming convention” below)
- Choose the desired GPI file based on your personal preference and copy the file into \Garmin\Poi folder on either your unit’s main memory or memory card.
- You will need to create the “\poi” folder manually if it doesn’t exist.
- Once you have copied the file over, reboot your unit. If you installed the GPI file onto your SD card, the device will prompt you that it has found new extra data. When prompted to copy the file onto your device, tick “Don’t ask me again” and select “No” / ”Skip”. The device does not need to have the GPI file in the internal memory (unless you often change between different cards or remove your memory card) as it is able to read the GPI file(s) directly from the memory card.
- Ensure that your unit’s Custom POI alerts are turned on and your audio settings set to either “Continuous-All Alerts” or “Continuous Tone”.
Which file should I use for my device?
SG Redlight Camera Alerts are being compiled with different audio formats so as to cater for different Garmin PND. You only need to download the one which is suitable for your device.
- Wav version : For 2xx, 14xx series
- MP3 version : For 3xx, 6xx, 7xx series, Zumo, and Nuvifone only
- Voiceless version : For Handhelds, Mobile XT, or those who do not want any voice prompt on their nuvi
File naming convention :
File naming for the individual SG Redlight Camera Alerts are named with the icon size, audio format, and date of release in the following format :-
X1 (icon size) : Consist of either a “B” or “S”, in which “B” = Big icon (21x18) and “S” = Small icon (14x10).
X2 (audio format) : Consist of either a “W” or “M”, in which “W” = Wav and “M” = MP3. (This field will not be present in the "Voiceless" version.)
yymmdd : Date of release in year, month, day format.
Known issues and limitations :
- Custom icon not showing up on 765 Sing/Mal version
It has been tested and confirmed that the custom icon embedded in the SG Redlight Camera Alerts CPOI do not show up on 765 Sing/Mal version (as at firmware version v2.30). This appears to be a firmware issue which is beyond our control.
- Receiving alerts on opposite direction on certain roads
Despite efforts being put in to produce alerts which are as accurate as possible, there will be areas where you will still receive alerts on the opposite direction. This is mainly due to :-
- Limitation of the application that we use to generate the CPOI.
- Nature of how the roads are being drawn on the map.
- Position accuracy during time of travel.
- Road/Map shift
- I have come to noticed that there seem to be some slight shifting of roads between different map versions. I have no idea what actually causes this but it may affect the accuracy of the alert at times due to the close proximity of the alerts.
Credits and Acknowledgements :
I would like to thank bro Stratman II for his kind guidance on CPOI making and also to bro Chuah and bro Chaicka who have been helping with the ‘on the road’ testing.
I hope you will enjoy the alerts and do kindly notify me of any errors, updates or omissions. In addition, as this is my first attempt in creating CPOIs, suggestions and feedbacks for further improvements are also welcome.