Custom POIs - lack of indication of contents

Feedback for our road information and food recommendation POIs

Moderators: wwloon, alharis299, Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our custom POIs
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
AW*
Valued Contributor

Re: Custom POIs - lack of indication of contents

Postby AW* » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi

i did some further reading and came across another gem by bro antyong : POI naming guideline. it's a given for the more experience mappers and users but maybe the newbies who are eager to contribute (including me) can do with this guideline..so that all the name of POIs contribute are consistent - at least where POIs for entities are that are "chained" or franchise or in repeatd branches and outlets.

the link is here : viewtopic.php?f=22&t=441

perhaps this link can be posted on 1st page of new poi contribution thread : as a timely reminder, i'm all for consistency and standardization where ti is useful

:)
" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi
" In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place." - Mahatma Ghandi

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

mcmc

Postby mcmc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:15 pm

wiraone wrote:Just a comment after few trips .. back home to Muar and trip to KB .. some of the speed traps indicate wrong speed limit .. so, beware of the speed limit on the highways/trunk roads and do not rely totally on the gps...

Of course you can not rely 100% on your GPRS. Same goes to its road or map. Sometimes it lead you into wrong direction of one-way street (happended to me once). That's why, we should feedback here in this forum, where and what is wrong (exactly). And use your common sense! O:)

wiraone
Location: Section U20 Shah Alam (er.. Sg Buloh that it!), iBlue747, Nuvi350

Postby wiraone » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:09 pm

Agreed in not totally dependent on the GPS, but I believe when it is infront of you, you tend to believe the GPS compared to the signage .. :D

attahun

Postby attahun » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:16 pm

mcmc wrote:
wiraone wrote:Just a comment after few trips .. back home to Muar and trip to KB .. some of the speed traps indicate wrong speed limit .. so, beware of the speed limit on the highways/trunk roads and do not rely totally on the gps...

Of course you can not rely 100% on your GPRS. Same goes to its road or map. Sometimes it lead you into wrong direction of one-way street (happended to me once). That's why, we should feedback here in this forum, where and what is wrong (exactly). And use your common sense! O:)

hahah i had this one before at ipoh area..but i didn't bother to note the location that time coz was still confused.. :lol:
http://attahun.blogspot.com - income tax calculator BE2009

Carz

Postby Carz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:55 am

Noob qns and sorry if they are stupid.

Suppose if we were to take data from other sites, how can we be sure the sites did not also take the data from other sites or vice versa even if we were to determined the gps coordinates are exact match? And must we even compare in the first place to make sure it does not match with MFM friendly competitor which will make it even more time consuming? Such info could also have been shared around long time ago so who can prove to be the person who originally determined the coordinates? The coordinates that have been shared around could also have been leaked or obtained from LTA which would have been the most accurate and whoever has them also cannot stop anyone from using them right? If the coordinates that have been shared around is accurate, must we purposely make it offset just so we will not be accused of copying data? If so, I can't understand the logic.

If obtaining coordinates the original way, how can I mark the coordinates while driving? Even if somehow I can, it won't be accurate won't it, stop of being directly under the poi i.e. speed cams etc.

What happen if we are crazy enough to stand directly underneath the poi and the coordinate match with whatever data we could obtain from other sites?

Sorry for the noobs qns and not intending to incite any arguments.

Return to “MFM Custom POI Feedback”