Custom POI Download - Singapore night markets

Feedback for our road information and food recommendation POIs

Moderators: wwloon, alharis299, Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our custom POIs
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
nifty

Custom POI Download - Singapore night markets

Postby nifty » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:47 am

Good morning,
My wife is addicted to night market shopping and we are coming over to Singapore next month.

Does anyone have a POI listing of the night markets in Singapore

Thanks

Neville in the Philippines

gpsnerd
Contributor

Re: Custom POI Download - Singapore night markets

Postby gpsnerd » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:30 am

There's no permanent night market here in Singapore. FYI
User of 205 / 205W
Currently using 255W and 205W, 4592 LM

nifty

Postby nifty » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:06 pm

gpsnerd wrote:There's no permanent night market here in Singapore. FYI

Aiyeeeee. My wife is going to kill me after I told her about the great amah's markets that used to be outside Seletar Airbase and in Upper Thompson Road on Sunday nights.

Thanks anyhow

gpsnerd
Contributor

Postby gpsnerd » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:39 pm

not that i know of.

At most at times, some local night markets called pasar malam.
weekends - flea markets
User of 205 / 205W
Currently using 255W and 205W, 4592 LM

Jimmy75

Postby Jimmy75 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:05 pm

nifty wrote:

Aiyeeeee. My wife is going to kill me after I told her about the great amah's markets that used to be outside Seletar Airbase and in Upper Thompson Road on Sunday nights.

Thanks anyhow

wow, that was how long ago? i never heard of such places, sounds interesting. :)

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:24 pm

nifty wrote:

Thanks anyhow

Those you mentioned is history ( 1960s period ) .... only permanent night shopping we have and it is 24 hours is at Mustafa N1 18.602 E103 51.322 :mrgreen:

nifty

Postby nifty » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:15 pm

Jimmy75 wrote:
nifty wrote:

Thanks anyhow

wow, that was how long ago? i never heard of such places, sounds interesting. :)

Err umm back in 1972-74 when Mr Lee (Snr) was Prime Minister, a carton of Duty Free Anchor was so cheap I don't remember and the Aussie dollar was worth $S3.50 and the sea was along Elizabeth Walk and the Singapore River was a hive of activity with bumboats unloading cargo from ships out in the western roads. A truly Asian city with all the aromas, smells and sights. Now it is a fine commercial centre but has lost a lot of its heritage. I was part of the last of the ANZUK Force (anybody know what that was?)

Neville

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:22 pm

nifty wrote: snip *** I was part of the last of the ANZUK Force (anybody know what that was?)

Neville

Quote from Wiki
ANZUK was a tripartite force formed by Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom to defend the Asian Pacific region after the United Kingdom withdrew forces from the east of Suez in the early seventies. The ANZUK force was formed in 1971 and disbanded in 1974.

nifty

Postby nifty » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:08 am

silverbeauty wrote:
nifty wrote: snip *** I was part of the last of the ANZUK Force (anybody know what that was?)

Neville

Quote from Wiki
ANZUK was a tripartite force formed by Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom to defend the Asian Pacific region after the United Kingdom withdrew forces from the east of Suez in the early seventies. The ANZUK force was formed in 1971 and disbanded in 1974.

Hah hah... I laughed when I saw the word 'defend' in the above quote. But we did have an enormous impact on the economy at a lower level. When ANZUK disbanded in 1974 there were thousands of amahs out of work, the taxis (Sergeaqnt and above were taken to and from home daily at the Aust Government's expense - Nee Soon was clogged with taxis at 1600). the breweries, bars,the satay man, the peanut man, the shoe man, the brush man, the grocer, the local restaurants, the tailors and many more would have suffered an immediate loss of income when we left.

Back to GIS and POI...the Australian Army got its first GPS in late 1970 and used a system called Geosat. Used to come in a case about the size of a laptop case . Quite often it took hours at night to get a fix on 4 satellites but was still quicker than a theodolite and Norries Nautical tables to get a n accurate position fix. All secret stuff in those days and most of the Australian topo maps had to be re-georeferenced because of inaccuracies. Probably the same world-wide. Map making was still a tedious job but at least the corner panel markers (100mr x 100mr) were accurate. 5 maps - natural and artificial features, hydrography, vegetation and contours. These were then all checked in the field, corrections made then the lot compiled together and printed. Gee, I wish we had the computers and satellite equipment with cm accuracy that exist today back then.

Neville

Return to “MFM Custom POI Feedback”