Standardization for place of worships

Moderators: tympg, Moderators, Regional Mappers

razuryza

Re: Standardization for place of worships

Postby razuryza » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:21 am

is Masjid has been the standard name for mosque in v1.22? coz i found Mosque Ubudiah...

i think.. all the official place or building should be name by "Nama Khas" such as Masjis Ubudiah, Istana Negara(not National Palace), Istana Budaya(or wanna call National Theatre?), Perpustakaan Negara (instead National Library?) and the list goes on....i think it would be easier for all to match the map and the road signs as road signs in Malaysia is in Malay right?

ajay

Postby ajay » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:02 pm

agree on this.
in fact when i search for "mosque" there are still many not converted yet. i also realise that there are 3 ubudiah mosques in malaysia :)
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:48 pm

Will remind other mappers to change.

pgkent
Regional Mapper

Postby pgkent » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:38 pm

Actually i got something different. Basically to me this MFM is not only restrict to local people, but also do provide some basis for the foreigners who intended to visit malaysia. So just wondering, if we're using all the names in Malays (which might not be known by foreigners or so... ) will it makes this less user friendly to them?

I do know the fact that most of the users are local people who knows Malay pretty well, but i guess in SG there's not much of Malay in use... (just my doubts, and 2 cents)... Comments are welcome...
E71 with Garmin XT, Nuvi 200w, PAPAGO! R5800 makes me ROCKs

nyem
Valued Contributor

Postby nyem » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:11 pm

pgkent wrote:Actually i got something different. Basically to me this MFM is not only restrict to local people, but also do provide some basis for the foreigners who intended to visit malaysia. So just wondering, if we're using all the names in Malays (which might not be known by foreigners or so... ) will it makes this less user friendly to them?

I do know the fact that most of the users are local people who knows Malay pretty well, but i guess in SG there's not much of Malay in use... (just my doubts, and 2 cents)... Comments are welcome...

It is possible to produce the map in different languages, but for now MFM is in the 'popular' language mode. Whichever the mappers think the name is popularly recognised, she/he will use that one.
http://flavors.me/nyem

Return to “Mapping Guideline & Standards Discussion”