Suggestion Box 2010 & 2011

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
9w2yon
Contributor

Re: Suggestion Box 2010

Postby 9w2yon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:04 pm

i noticed that there are MFM SRTM Contours also automatically added in MFM map...
mfm1.jpg

My suggestion, maybe we can add an option to exclude those contours (same as polygon) when generate gmapsupp.img to reduce laggy... AFAIK, the file is more smooth to run when the file size is small... correct me if i'm wrong...
mfm2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Operating Garmin Nuvi 255W SG/MY version with:
- SW 2.80

- MFM-Garmin map

msibenn

Postby msibenn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:57 am

I'm suggesting MFM offer to work with nokia on updating nokia Ovi Maps for malaysia & singapore since now Ovi Maps is totally free for compatible nokia phone (such as -X6, N97 mini, E72, E55, E52, 6750, 6710, 5800, 5230). I think there's more 5800 sold in malaysia than any garmin pnd. but it's a shame that their malaysian map is not as updated as MFM map.

Here's the nokia link http://maps.nokia.com/explore-services/ovi-maps/ovi-maps-main

Quoted from http://discussions.nokia.com.au/discussions/board/message?board.id=navigation&thread.id=16082&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

ESPOO, Finland - Nokia has just pulled the dust sheet off a landmark development that sees the introduction of free global walk and drive satellite navigation for Nokia smartphones. Today's milestone move has been realized via a new version of Ovi Maps that includes voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation and a bunch of other smart sat-nav talents, initially covering 74 countries in 46 languages.

Read on to get the full lowdown on what's on offer. Plus, discover which Nokia handsets are immediately compatible with the new free sat-nav update of Ovi Maps.

One of the most exciting aspects of today's news is the fact that all new GPS-enabled Nokia smartphones from March 2010 will come with this fresh version of Ovi Maps installed, meaning free global sat-nav is now a staple ingredient in all top-end Nokia handsets from here on in. In the meantime Nokia is also making free sat-nav immediately available to heaps of existing devices - sharing pole position are the Nokia N97 mini, 5800 XpressMusic, 5800 Navigation Edition, E52, E55, E72, 5230, 6710 Navigator, 6730 classic and X6. More handsets are expected to be added over the coming weeks, and you'll be able to keep clued-in on the most up-to-date list of compatible devices at the Ovi Maps site.

As for how it'll all work, it really couldn't be simpler. Once you've got this latest version of Ovi Maps installed on your Nokia smartphone, you'll be faced with free instant worldwide access to top quality pedestrian and in-car sat-nav. It's all in there with no hidden costs or surprises, meaning you get unlimited access to free sat-nav for the entire lifetime of your device. When you're sat in the driver's seat you'll receive turn-by-turn voice guidance with smart features including lane guidance, traffic info (in over 10 countries), as well as safety camera and speed warnings. Likewise, on-foot you'll receive clever guidance that exploits shortcuts through parks and pedestrian-only spots for over 100 cities worldwide. This is bolstered by over 6,000 3D landmarks in over 200 cities to make it even easier to recognize where you are and where you need to be. Plus, this update includes free access to premium extras, such as Lonely Planet and Michelin guides with info on over 1,000 destinations.

You'll be able to tap into high quality and more energy efficient maps for over 180 countries - Ovi Maps features smart hybrid vector maps that are far less data-heavy than typical map images, meaning you can download and update them via your device faster and more efficiently. Storing these maps on your handset means your phone doesn't need to be connected to your network to stream info, saving extra battery juice for longer road trips or rambles.

Anssi Vanjoki is Executive Vice President at Nokia, and had this to say about today's announcement:

"We want to make using your mobile for navigation as familiar as using it to send a text or take a picture. We believe that making the best maps with voice guided navigation available for free will be the catalyst to do this. Why have a mobile phone and a separate car navigation system that works in only one country or region? Put the two together, make it free, make it global and you have something that is truly useful and can help you get round almost any city in the world whether you’re on foot or driving.”

If you own any of the handsets detailed above visit Ovi Maps to get free sat-nav on your Nokia device today.

shideen
Senior Mapper

Postby shideen » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:57 am

An Ultra-Lite version, which exclude all polygons except sea & rivers. :mrgreen:
Not that I dont like colours, salute polygon mappers :prayer: , but its for gps unit that dont have much colour display such as 60csx.
Nuvi200, 255W, GMXT on N5800, 60csx, Papago X3 (EastGear), Galactio V8

vmq6695

Postby vmq6695 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:44 am

Is it possible to add phonetics to names on MFM map?

I use TTS Karen, but she makes a mess of many street names.

The Garmin description of Karen (and a few other voices) includes: "Improved pronunciation of street names where map phonetics are available".

So perhaps we need to add 'map phonetics'??

A Google search shows not much about what is meant by Garmin map phonetics.

Do MFM mappers know about map phonetics?

Would it be as simple as:

1. A map guru explaining what Garmin map phonetics are;

2. A MFM guru producing a list of all the street names in the MFM maps;

3. A project in which members add phonetics to those street names, which are then incorporated into the MFM maps.

Cheers

V

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Answers

tlchuan
Polygon Mapper
Location: Subang Jaya (x10 & Oregon 300)Garmin 255w sgmy, 2575RLM, Wayway 5035

Postby tlchuan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:59 pm

I would like to suggest that Thailand maps have option in the setup so that we can choose to or not to include in the mfm maps, because i don't want to include 2 thailand maps in the same IMG files.

Thank you [-o<

alexsoo

Postby alexsoo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:20 am

I would like to suggest that house numbering need to improve.. :thumbsup: My current location in ipoh.I did use mfm to find my hse last time as 4, Laluan Lapangan Perdana 3, Panorama Lapangan Perdana,31650, Ipoh, Perak...It does show my current address i type in and also can find it...But when i upgraded to maps 100125 and try to find my hse and type back in the same address..It only shows Laluan Lapangan Perdana 3, Panorama Lapangan Perdana,31650,Ipoh, Perak... It just bring me to the road instead of bringing me to my hse like last time..Futhermore, in Bercham, Ipoh... I try to find my fren house, 9, Persiaran Bercham Selatan 25, Taman Sri Kurau, Ipoh, Perak.But, it shows 8, Persiaran Bercham Selatan 25, Taman Sri Kurau, Ipoh, Perak and when i find 11, Persiaran Bercham Selatan 25, Taman Sri Kurau, Ipoh; it shows 10, Persiaran Bercham Selatan 25, Taman Sri Kurau, Ipoh, Perak... It doesn't shows odd house number but everytime giving me the even house number such as 8 or 10,Persiaran Bercham Selatan 25, Taman Sri Kurau, Ipoh, Perak...I suggest on improving the house numbering is a great improvement to users..
:rox: :good:

ronchan
Polygon Mapper
Location: IPOH mali (Ruvo Avox UMPC + 探险家Columbus V-700 + GMPC / nRoute, HTC touch dual + GMXT)

Postby ronchan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:24 am

alexsoo wrote:I would like to suggest that house numbering need to improve.. :thumbsup: My current location in ipoh.I did use mfm to find my hse last time as 4, Laluan Lapangan Perdana 3, Panorama Lapangan Perdana,31650, Ipoh, Perak...It does show my current address i type in and also can find it...But when i upgraded to maps 100125 and try to find my hse and type back in the same address..It only shows Laluan Lapangan Perdana 3, Panorama Lapangan Perdana,31650,Ipoh, Perak... It just bring me to the road instead of bringing me to my hse like last time..Futhermore, in Bercham, Ipoh... I try to find my fren house, 9, Persiaran Bercham Selatan 25, Taman Sri Kurau, Ipoh, Perak.But, it shows 8, Persiaran Bercham Selatan 25, Taman Sri Kurau, Ipoh, Perak and when i find 11, Persiaran Bercham Selatan 25, Taman Sri Kurau, Ipoh; it shows 10, Persiaran Bercham Selatan 25, Taman Sri Kurau, Ipoh, Perak... It doesn't shows odd house number but everytime giving me the even house number such as 8 or 10,Persiaran Bercham Selatan 25, Taman Sri Kurau, Ipoh, Perak...I suggest on improving the house numbering is a great improvement to users..
:rox: :good:

Bro, Ipoh have only a limited area with house number, can you help contribute by starting from your garden follow the guide here
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6000

You can actually use mapsource to check, just point to the road with house number or not?
untitled.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
House Number Project - begin from your house.

wearwolf

Postby wearwolf » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:25 pm

I'm throwing my vote in for

1) Proper/Official government naming listing

2) Proper/standardisation of naming/editing ALL POI's
- As well as adding all relevant information like Open/Close times; Contact details; address; telephone whenever possible.
- Especially the Jusco/AEON shopping complexes. Here's an example. Is it Bukit Raja Shopping Complex? JUSCO Bukit Raja Complex? or AEON Bukit Raja Shopping Complex?

3) Stability/consistent weekly map updates
- I'm all for a weekly update; but if the output is anything to come by like today's (01-Feb-2010) initial upload; i'd rather wait another day or 2 for a much stable version.
- I'm guessing the stability is caused by the CGPSMapper program not doing a good work like garmin. I'm curioius; what would it take to get the garmin compiler if its possible? That way the map output is sure consistent and very very compatible to Garmin brand devices.

4) House/Lot number!!

For the voice; since Garmin has now released their own voice studio program for everybody to make their own; i think that's a non-issue here.
================================
SonyEricsson Xperia X1 / Garmin Asus A10
Garmin Nuvi 255w (KL/SG Edition)
Garmin Dakota 20 (ROM v.3.50)

ccwong
JCV Master
JCV Master

Postby ccwong » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:29 pm

hi,

Wanna to suggest, whether we can add in postcode into street name or not ?

For example: Jalan Raja Permaisuri Bainun -> Jalan Raja Permaisuri Bainun (30250)

Thank you.

C.C.Wong

Return to “Community Hall”