Suggestion Box 2010 & 2011

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Re: Suggest MFM do innovation create map for Nokia Ovi

Postby sobamy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Inggo wrote:
moeyhc wrote:Will Nokia sue us for offering their map format?.. If yes, we certainly break record.... :mrgreen:

No, it same case as create garmin map format using third party compiler (cgpsmap).
usually, in software EULA we able to create generic "DATA" format using by third party program..
this case similar with using another third party editor such as open source editor to create word or excel data format.

but it's not same case with using illegal copied of "crack" program such as using the crack of garminXT.. or using illegal copied of ms office.

and we break the rule if modified garmin officially map to be free maps.. or vice versa (reverse engineering free map format tobe "non-free" map such as SLA/NT map)

I think Nokia should be proud to know that we are willing to help them to improve their maps bringing their maps up to date as with MFM maps. This could be a "Win-Win" situation for both parties. Nokia mobiles phones with Ovi are very popular in the market today, with many popular brands in tight competition. Up-to-date Ovi maps can further enhance and improve Nokia's sales...
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Re: Suggest MFM do innovation create map for Nokia Ovi

Postby keong8260 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:03 am

sobamy wrote:
Inggo wrote:
moeyhc wrote:Will Nokia sue us for offering their map format?.. If yes, we certainly break record.... :mrgreen:

No, it same case as create garmin map format using third party compiler (cgpsmap).
usually, in software EULA we able to create generic "DATA" format using by third party program..
this case similar with using another third party editor such as open source editor to create word or excel data format.

but it's not same case with using illegal copied of "crack" program such as using the crack of garminXT.. or using illegal copied of ms office.

and we break the rule if modified garmin officially map to be free maps.. or vice versa (reverse engineering free map format tobe "non-free" map such as SLA/NT map)

I think Nokia should be proud to know that we are willing to help them to improve their maps bringing their maps up to date as with MFM maps. This could be a "Win-Win" situation for both parties. Nokia mobiles phones with Ovi are very popular in the market today, with many popular brands in tight competition. Up-to-date Ovi maps can further enhance and improve Nokia's sales...

Someone who know Nokia boss please make a call to him.... :mrgreen:

amamat
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Re: Suggestion Box 2010

Postby amamat » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:15 pm

A suggestion. Standard term for R & R? some written as Rnr R&R etc.

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:25 pm

amamat wrote:A suggestion. Standard term for R & R? some written as Rnr R&R etc.

better R&R without space, because easy to type without hypenspace..
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

shawchyn
Valued Contributor

Postby shawchyn » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:16 pm

amamat wrote:A suggestion. Standard term for R & R? some written as Rnr R&R etc.

There is a reason in some situation that we change the naming for certain charater, such as "&" to "n". " 's " to "s".

This is because in Garmin Device, it is hard to key in symbols like "&", " ' ", "@", so for easy the step that the users search, we change it as the mention above.
Snake Chia
http://appsblog.snakechia.com
http://www.nearby.com.my

panther

Postby panther » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:59 pm

Suggest to omit the place's name from repeating on the map's icons.
For example, in Bukit Mertajam, I can see the map is seriously cluttered messily with the town's own name. This applies to any other towns or cities in mfm map.

When we are in a particular town, certainly any buildings or shops or government agencies belong to that town. There is no need to keep on repeating the town's name.

I believe the mappers or contributors could just omit "Bukit Mertajam" in front or behind the names of the shops, banks or government agencies to make the map more appealing to the eyes and leave more space for other information.

Just use the main illustrative names like TM, Islamic Religious Office, Fire Station, Summit Hotel, BSN, Wet Market, Maybank and so on will tell the 1st time traveller to the town what they are. For the locals, they will surely know what and where they are looking for.

This suggestion applies to other towns also!
Thank you!

shawchyn
Valued Contributor

Postby shawchyn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:28 pm

panther wrote:Suggest to omit the place's name from repeating on the map's icons.
For example, in Bukit Mertajam, I can see the map is seriously cluttered messily with the town's own name. This applies to any other towns or cities in mfm map.

When we are in a particular town, certainly any buildings or shops or government agencies belong to that town. There is no need to keep on repeating the town's name.

I believe the mappers or contributors could just omit "Bukit Mertajam" in front or behind the names of the shops, banks or government agencies to make the map more appealing to the eyes and leave more space for other information.

Just use the main illustrative names like TM, Islamic Religious Office, Fire Station, Summit Hotel, BSN, Wet Market, Maybank and so on will tell the 1st time traveller to the town what they are. For the locals, they will surely know what and where they are looking for.

Thank you!

The town name is not for you to see when you are in the location, this is mainly for ppl who search the location for their destination.

Imagine, if you want to go to McD at Bukit Mertajam, and we don't have the town/taman name follow by it, if there is 2 or 3 or 4 or more McD at the same area, do you know which 1 that you or your friends are in????

So, this is not a good idea to take it out. :tease:
Snake Chia

muurali

Postby muurali » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:37 am

shawchyn wrote:
panther wrote:Suggest to omit the place's name from repeating on the map's icons.

Thank you!

The town name is not for you to see when you are in the location, this is mainly for ppl who search the location for their destination.

Imagine, if you want to go to McD at Bukit Mertajam, and we don't have the town/taman name follow by it, if there is 2 or 3 or 4 or more McD at the same area, do you know which 1 that you or your friends are in????

So, this is not a good idea to take it out. :tease:

Agree with Bro Shawchyn.....from KL if you want to go to Maybank in Bukit Mertajam, how to make your device let you know that which maybank are you looking for? If we omit the name of the places, then you device will show Maybank from all over the places in Malaysia....
Email: muraliramoo@gmail.com
H/P : 012-973 7034

kentcp
Contributor

Postby kentcp » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:37 pm

When I trying search 7-11, i notice some area using POI name "7 -11", some " 7 11", some "7 Eleven". At different places, I need to try different POI name just for one 7-11 store.

Can MFM standardise the naming convention ? Thanks.

shawchyn
Valued Contributor

Postby shawchyn » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:16 am

kentcp wrote:When I trying search 7-11, i notice some area using POI name "7 -11", some " 7 11", some "7 Eleven". At different places, I need to try different POI name just for one 7-11 store.

Can MFM standardise the naming convention ? Thanks.

Get it. I will do the house cleaning on the database. But, all I can do is for the state of Kuala Lumpur & Selangor. The rest of the states need their respective admin to do the changing.

Do give me some times to finish all the cleaning. :oops:

Just want to know, which 7-11 you guys prefer?

Options:
01. 7-11
02. 7 - 11
03. 7 Eleven
Snake Chia

Return to “Community Hall”