Permanent Fund For malfreemaps.com

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
jans_wkh
Valued Contributor

Re: Permanent Fund For malfreemaps.com

Postby jans_wkh » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:07 am

tympg wrote:Well, maybe there's something in #2 to explore there, but we have to be careful how to go about it...

I think item 2 (advertisement) can be explored and it should be sufficient for web hosting and of course, like tympg said, we have to thread carefully here. Any extras from the advertisement can even be used for printing decals or stickers FOC for members during any GG. This would help spread the word around for MFM.:mrgreen:

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:23 pm

Bro Moey's raised 2 fundamental questions, so let me try to answer that:

1. Do we need a permanent fund to sustain the forum and what is our source of income?
2. Is it possible and do we have the money to obtain tools to ensure our maps are current to the latest navigation software/hardware?

With our current funds, we can sustain ourselves for more than 2 years. We had not have to resort to less ways we are less comfortable such as accepting offers from commercial firms to host our forum for free. I don't see any problem getting enough funding to keep the site running.

I don't see the viability of selling MFM products. These products will be mostly bought by our own members to support us and the profit will not be much. Instead of selling a T-shirt to a member for RM50 for a profit of RM10, I'll rather the member donate RM50 directly to our hosting fund :mrgreen:

Money will not buy us mapping tools. As with all other Garmin communities, we rely on cgpsmapper to provide us access to the latest Garmin features. We have to keep our feet on the ground. We are mere hobbyists. We enjoy what we do, while it last. Access to official mapping tools is only possible via tie-ups with commercial companies which have the financial muscle and marketing plans that interests Garmin, Mapking, etc. It is very very very difficult for a community like us to try matching up with a commercial firm.

Keep things simple and return to the basics - tracking, mapping, and tok kok about GPS :D

aceedburn

Postby aceedburn » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:48 pm

I actually proposed this to bro antyong before and he rejected saying he wanted malfreemaps to be "free" and maintain it's super community status, as was so obvious in the recent donation drive which shows that our members are so giving and unselfish. I think making someone pay for membership would deviate our common goals and as such, when the fund as reached it's end, all we have to do is simply top up again and go on as usual. :)
nüvi® 205 & mfm - always takes you home!

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:21 pm

Hehe...just treat this light-heartedly but think of the possibility....

If I receive a love letter from Garmin tomorrow, our *permanent* hosting fund becomes our legal defense fund :mrgreen:

musangking
Valued Contributor

Postby musangking » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:28 pm

Sometimes money can divide a family. All good intentions get thrown out the window when money is involved. My opinion is that we raise as much money as necessary to keep the site going and stop it at that. When the bill arrives again, Bro Antyong will remind us to help top it up. Keep it clean and retain the objective: We are a community that enjoys what we do and this is our contribution back to the community. :champ:

cassy

Postby cassy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:23 am

I subscribe to keeping Malfree "free", freemaps to members, free from all commercial emcumbrances. Advertising and sponsorship on our site should be allowed with no strings attached. We need a minimum amount of fund to sustain our fraternity, say min RM4,000 for 2 years of hosting, once the fund is limit down, a call for donations be made. I think we should also be selective on membership and avoid habitual freeloaders and encourage members to be passionate about mapping and tracking by holding regular GGs.

Cheers

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks Bro antyong for your explanations and insight into the GPS mapping World. When the 'Love letter' arrived do let us know... :D

Without any option for better mapping tools and as long as Ggpsmappers is providing us the service than we do not need plenty of money. We shall face any attempt to prevent us from enjoying our hobby as and when it comes. Thank you all for the this great site... cheers!

Mapping By The Community For The Community.
:good:
Common Sense Is Not Common.

seethoe

Postby seethoe » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:30 am

i like the spirit of MFM, its a community thing vs a commercial thing. Everyone contributes to keep it alive. We should keep this spirit going.
Do let us know if there are love letters coming from Garmin or plans to upgrade to increase traffic etc....
My Photos: http://www.szetophotos.com

izani
Valued Contributor

Postby izani » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:54 pm

Why not just collect what ever necessary when it's due? Simple and easy. Need not to worry about taking care about money. Thus saving our valuable time with our beloved passion - MAPPING :rox:

email2me
Valued Contributor

Postby email2me » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:12 pm

You can put a simple google adsense banner on the top which will gain you some money. For long term, it do helps.
Malaysia and Singapore dedicated website for Food Point Of Interest or commonly known as Food POI. GPI and GDB available for download. All foods tested with photos.

Return to “Community Hall”