MyAseanFreeMaps

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
vash_h

Re: MyAseanFreeMaps

Postby vash_h » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:05 pm

WOW!

GO FOR IT!!
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

fauzee
Polygon Mapper

Postby fauzee » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:26 pm

:good: :good: :good: :rox: :rox: :champ: :champ:
~Lost Is Nothing~
...PLEASE INSTALL THE LATEST MAPS BEFORE DOIN' SOMETHIN'...

limyc

Postby limyc » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:17 pm

how about starting up the place to upload tracks ? :-'

rgds

lim yc

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:30 pm

More WOW effect coming soon!!!

:thumbsup:

shideen
Senior Mapper

Postby shideen » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:35 am

WOW! Now we have ASEAN brotherhood :peace:
Nuvi200, 255W, GMXT on N5800, 60csx, Papago X3 (EastGear), Galactio V8

Wanderer9598

Postby Wanderer9598 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:15 am

sharkteef wrote:
Wanderer9598 wrote:Wow............. but who are the mappers for Thailand?

the people of thairrand !

Wah............ got link up already izzit???

Cos the only group I can think of is GPS4u or something like that..... but then it still leads back to ESRI in the end...

turbosnail
Valued Contributor

Postby turbosnail » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:05 am

ace wrote:To an outsider searching and reading the materials in the site will conclude that we are telling them that there is an Asean map but in fact we don't have one... We only have three out of the 10 countries in the grouping...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AS ... ber_states

Don't mean to throw cold water.... but having this "Asean" name is like blowning horn....some say BS...

We are opening ourselves to ridicules... do we want this? Or should we be practical and revert back to the old name which is symbolic to what we are now. Or go for ridicules and be an airhead.

I think I have to agree with you and MyThaiSingFreemaps should be more appropriate. But apparently the name change for some valid reasons. Who knows, MFM might stirke a deal of sharing data with Navigasi and Phillipine's freemap project??? Vietnam also have thier own mapping group and one of the members, Ron chan or KC I don't remember, is quite actively mapping Thai, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. I don't know about Myammar but I am sure there are underground groups doing the same in that country as well.

A peak at Mapcenter and Mapcenter2 should give us some idea how many countries in ASEAN have been mapped.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:49 pm

MyThaiSingFreemaps? Brunei leh? Do we have to change name each time we add coverage for another country? Do we ridicule AsiaGPS for "blowing horn"? Can it not be their aspiration and goal to provide maps for Asia? The party likely to ridicule us, aren't they calling themselves the largest mapping community in the world? Largest in what? Inactive members? We have came through one initial year where all sorts of things were said about us. Are we affected by these slanders? Did we not continue what we set out to do and prove the slanderers wrong?

I have long desired a truly free community map from Singapore to Vietnam. Where there are existing free local communities currently covering certain countries, such as navigasi.net, we can work out some collaboration with them. Where there are individuals currently working on certain areas such as KC's North Thailand, I will invite them to join us or request from them data to help us get started. Areas where we have to start from scratch, we'll just map slowly at our own pace and leisure.

This is what I set out to do for myself and anyone who is interested to join me. Let the others ridicule or worry about being ridiculed. We have work to do and mapping to enjoy :D

Simon

Postby Simon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:00 pm

MyAseanFreeMaps can be interpreted as My ASEAN Free Maps, ASEAN includes all the countries that MFM is doing right now. sound pretty good actually :thumbsup:

stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Postby stratman2 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:05 pm

Personally, I have no issues if MFM aspires to include neighboring countries in the SE Asian region. But I think before taking such an ambitious step forward, let's take care of our mapping coverage level of Sabah & Sarawak first. :prayer:
cheers,

Stratman II

Return to “Community Hall”