Malsingmaps copying MFM data: Evidence and discussions

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Malsingmaps copying MFM data: Evidence and discussions

Postby sharkteef » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:40 am

@antyong

i've also been wondering about the direction that mfm is taking.

If you asked me 8 years ago what i wanted when the first img file was compiled - I would say to see the maps officially published by Garmin. It would have been such a wild dream wouldnt it? If you asked any of the mappers (past and present) and all contributors alike - what would they like most? Their answer would probably be to see their handiwork recognised by Garmin.

8 years later - here we are - agreement signed and sealed with Garmin. The day has come and it is a most humbling experience indeed.

There are others around the world like us who do this kind of community mapping work and we are proud to be the first amateur mappers to contract with Garmin - perhaps opening the way for future collaborations in other regions. This is as much as a first for Garmin as it is for community mappers - it was a grope-fest at first but things thankfully ironed themselves out eventually.

And how our maps have grown over the years - something every single contributor and mapper can be proud to call as our own. It belongs to everyone here. And it will continue to belong to everyone.

There have been conflicts - which perhaps is inevitable - and we cannot stop people from throwing accusations. But just think back for a moment - the how's and why's and what we do here at malsingmaps : the love for gps, the love to see the map get better and better and maybe .. just maybe .. recognition by Garmin. It never was about money. BTW, we made absolutely no money out of this deal so you can keep all the conspiracy theories on the backburner! :wink:

We here at MSM don't believe we created enemies but rather enemies were created out of us. We hold no grudge against anyone and are more than willing to accept anyone with open arms. Time to set aside differences. Letting go of the paranoia. As our past is a testament : we have refrained from making any allegations or mudslinging (even though some say that our silence has been very detrimental to us).

This Garmin deal puts a new dimension on things. If there ever was a goal that we set from Day One - it was this. And this is only the beginning .. We are only beginning to understand the tip of the iceberg as far as Garmin map functionalities are concerned and we would only get better at it as map versions go. Junction View is only one. There are tons more.

As much as this is a milestone for MSM, it also is a new beginning for us. Are you up to the challenge? Your mapping fingers getting itchy? Got boatloads of tracklogs stashed in your PC?

To tell you the truth, i havent had the time to let everything sink in these past few months. And sitting here now, writing this - i fumble with the words, thousands of thoughts cross my mind and i must confess i am awash with emotions. 8 years in the making. This is not my achievement. This is the achievement of everyone here (past and present). This guys and gals - is for you.

P.S. I let the Garmin official announcement to tell you what goodies are on the way

i dont really dwelve into politics but in which direction is mfm heading to ?
free maps for life ?
contendors and a step above msm ?
a lifetime non profit community based project ?

just a crummy question, feel free to delete it if inconvinient.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Re: So who is copying who?

Postby antyong (retired) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:51 am

sharkteef wrote:@antyong

i've also been wondering about the direction that mfm is taking.

i dont really dwelve into politics but in which direction is mfm heading to ?
free maps for life ?
contendors and a step above msm ?
a lifetime non profit community based project ?

just a crummy question, feel free to delete it if inconvinient.

The writer is good isn't he? Too bad he doesn't have the deeds to back him up. As I've said at earlier in this topic, good enough to fool newbies and satisfy those who care only about free maps.

To answer your question.
1. Free maps for life? I'll say yes. Even if any one of our mappers have a change of heart and leaves us, we will be rebuilding the maps again share out for free. Btw, MSM also claim their maps are free. So don't worry :mrgreen:

2. A step above MSM? Sure, we are many steps above these lowly lives. Therefore we don't steal map data and pretend to be ours.

3. You already asked and I already answered.

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Postby johnTan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:52 am

free maps for life ?

GPS- I treat it as my hobby, I don't wish after my contributions then I need to pay $ to buy the map.
I very wonder has freemap from MFM for my whole life.

Of course, I treat it oso as a Hobby base community, of course it is non profit community.

Don't make MFM as commercial map,.... Please :prayer: .
MFM's grow..grow... everyday.. non-stop.
much detail than others.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:59 am

...There have been conflicts - which perhaps is inevitable - and we cannot stop people from throwing accusations. But just think back for a moment - the how's and why's and what we do here at malsingmaps : the love for gps, the love to see the map get better and better and maybe .. just maybe .. recognition by Garmin. It never was about money. BTW, we made absolutely no money out of this deal so you can keep all the conspiracy theories on the backburner! :wink: ...

For love to see the map get better and better,.....it is too troublesome to map himself. So take it blatantly from the original authors, remove as many traps as possible, and claim as MSM's. BUT when you are lazy, you miss things...
MSM-NT2009.png

Btw, you split apologists don't expect to find your nicks in the map. No tympg, doraemon and even dear old bro Rickvon. Good boys like sabre23t and stimix still remains :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:09 am

I don't have to go further. Once you get your hands on the Garmin-MSM map, you'll find it not much different from their 2.30. Still our old data from Perlis down to N Sembilan. Contributors will probably find a lot of familiar places in their map ;)

We are in the information age now. It is quite impossible to hide any deed especially for online communities like ours.
- Try to suppress news of MFM? - FAILED
- Try to pretend to rebuild the maps? - CAUGHT
- Impose opinion ban at MSM? - Will only shoo off more genuine contributors
- Try to entice new supporters with goodies? - The map is already available to others and most part of it are old maps copied from MFM

I waited 6 months for confirmation that MSM indeed took our map data as theirs. Fine. Those data was more than 6 months old. Let whoever who likes it use it. At least got no lag :lol:

Guys, time to continue to do what we do best =D>
:rox:

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Postby johnTan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:24 am

antyong wrote:Guys, time to continue to do what we do best =D>

confirm MFM still is the best :wink:
I am not bluff.. because I watched MFM vs MXM football live game yesterday. :wink:

:thumbsup:
:rox:

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:54 am

MFM will have my precious poi's.
my webpage is due up in 2 months time. Now under construction. I am pleased to announce that i have tied up with email2me and another famous food blogger friend of mine. I will re-select my poi's and weed out the nonsense makan places and hand em all to stimix. Reviews and recommendations can be found on my webpage which will be tied up to MFM's "soon to be made" standards.

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Postby johnTan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:05 am

sharkteef wrote:MFM will have my precious poi's.
my webpage is due up in 2 months time. Now under construction. I am pleased to announce that i have tied up with email2me and another famous food blogger friend of mine. I will re-select my poi's and weed out the nonsense makan places and hand em all to stimix. Reviews and recommendations can be found on my webpage which will be tied up to MFM's "soon to be made" standards.

Hi sharkteef,
Long time never see u update "Makan Makan with Sharkteef".
I'd like ur post, because I like to EAT... hhheee...
hope u can carry on post more recommand restaurant to fill up my stomach.. :mrgreen:

kaybee
Valued Contributor
Location: Bukit Tengah, Penang (nuvi 200w, i-Blue 747A+ logger)

Postby kaybee » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:36 am

This is a joke. MFM do not let MSM use their map tiles. MSM enlist Masmap to help rebuild northern tiles and all Masmap did was to copy MFM [-X
I'm a member on both but stop submitting to MSM for a long time. As a contributor, I want to see the result of my contibution ASAP and the only avenue now is thru MFM :champ:
adilothman@MSM wrote:Masmap is helping MSM rebuild the lost tiles. They already have an existing infrastructure to support collaborative map-making and they have a number of experience (but shy! ) mappers. masmap is only a platform for subversioning but they are mapping for MSM in the rebuilding the lost tiles. And they publish it in MSM. Tracklogs by MSM, drawn by masmap mappers and published on MSM.

Masmap is just another "mapper" for MSM only that they are very organised and made up by more than 1 person. Very much like the model under the defunct gpsmappers.net

SOSweet

Postby SOSweet » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:59 am

It seems that the Garmin-MSM maps are only 'FREE update at anytime up to one year after the date of your unit's first satellite acquisition." '. So, who is the benefactor and who will be the sucker ? :frus:
The claim of "no monetary involve" by someone are unsincere and doubtful. :fire: :frus:
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercise & Good Deeds

Return to “Community Hall”