Updating Toyota Innova GPS Map

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
misk94

Updating Toyota Innova GPS Map

Postby misk94 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Dear MFM forum members :

Recently I purchased a Toyota Innova 2.0G with the DVD-AVN. The GPS is based on Garmin.

Anyway, I would like to share my experience on updating the map and adding maps from other sources. Perhaps, collectively can share experiences and improve the map updating.

The steps are:

Step 1: Remove the SD card from the unit. Toyota supplied a 4GB Class 10 SD card of an unknown brand.

Step 2: Plug the SD Card into a card reader so that you can copy the original content into a folder inside a PC. BTW, I am using Windows 7. This served as a backup for the origical SD card.

Step 3: Keep the original SD card in a safe place. Do not edit the content of this card.

Step 4: Use another empty SD Card (preferably a Class 10) of same or larger capacity as a duplicate. You will be copying and deleting files on this card. Once the whole process is completed you will use this card in the GPS instead of the Toyota supplied SD card.

I am using a Kingston Class 10 8GB card which is a spare from my camera. I don't know what the maximum size the GPS will read but I think 4GB or 8GB SD card should be sufficient for most purposes. You can buy a 8GB Class 10 SD card for less than RM30 these days.

Step 5: Remember the copied content in your PC. Copy all of it into the empty SD card. The content must looks exactly like the original SD card.

On my card there are two items:

1. Garmin folder
2. PANA10SIG.PSI Note: Toyota DVD-AVN installed in Innova 2014 is made by Panasonic.

Step 6: Now the fun part. Understanding the Garmin file structure. Click on the Garmin folder. You will see the following folders:

JCV - file containing junction views - you can add new JCV files here.
POI - point of interests - you can add new POI files here.
SID - It contains files linked to traffic trends, search etc - do not delete.

and the following four files:

contents ( a text files - please do not delete this file)
gmapsupp ( a map image file. This is the file you going to replace with an update map file. New map files come out regularly)
Gmapsupp.unl ( a key file. Please do not replace or delete this file at all. I believe this is the file linking the SD card to the GPS. This info came from other gps forums I visited)
grmn0.gma ( seems like a Garmin file. I do not know what it is for. So please do not replace or delete this file)

Step 7: Getting new map and jcv files.

There are many sources to get these. Free ones can be downloaded from the following websites:

http://www.malfreemaps.com/
http://www.malsingmaps.com/portal/

BTW, you may need to open an account before you can download the files. It is free anyway. The map provided by Toyota is an OEM map based on malsingmap 2014.

Step 8: Next is to copy the downloaded files to your SD card. In my case I downloaded 3 sets of maps

CityNavigator website : gmapprom & SgMyNav.jcv

Malfreemaps or MFM website : gmapsupp (no separate jcv file)

Malsingmap or MSM website: gmapprom and product.jcv. Note: Since map name same as map from City Navigator rename to gmapsupp1.

Copy gmapprom, gmapsupp and gmapsupp1 into SD card Garmin folder. One of them will replace the factory map. This is OK.

Copy product.jcv & SgMyNav.jcv into the JCV folder.

Note: The date of each map and it’s associate jcv file should bear same date.

Step 9: Insert the completed SD card into the GPS SD card slot. Start the GPS. Wait for the GPS to read the new maps. If there is no error messages then it a go.

Step 10: Final step is to check the list of maps in the Settings section. Click on the Map icon. Click on the horizontal bars on top left corner. A box will pop-up. Click on info. You should see a list of maps that you copied.

Now you have successfully updated your Toyota-Garmin GPS unit with new maps.

BTW, I still keep my original Toyota SD card in a safe place.

I hope you find this guide useful. :)

Regards,
Iskandar

Return to “Community Hall”