No signal

Tracklog, POI and error feedback for Singapore. Mapper: OngCC

Moderators: Chuah, Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our maps
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
bcda

No signal

Postby bcda » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:35 am

My cousin from Port Dickson using his friends Papago GPS to singapore. After he passed the 2nd link highway, cross over the bridge & reaching tuas, the signal gone until whole day. Then he also try with his handphone with Garmin GPS, also no signal. What happened actually guys? Is it now singapore blocked the GPS set from other country by identifying the serial number? But last time i went in twice, my garmin no problem at all. Only yesterday my cousin told me this thing happenned.

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Re: No signal

Postby Inggo » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:26 pm

try reset your GPS..

HARD RESET
if it's PND device then usually there is hard reset BUTTON in back cover.
push it by small tip or pen then restart your GPS
check your gps signal

SOFT RESET
try from your menu, usually in tools or diagnostic menu there is reset or back to factory configuration
try tick this soft reset button, shutdown your GPS, and turn on back.
waiting for 1 minutes or more.. then check your gps signal..

try, by hard reset first.. usually its successfull if your gps gona hang..
then if not succeed, try to soft reset..
soft reset required more time to collect gps signal from zero cache
.. be patient, sometimes until 5 minutes.. to get all signal back.

if it's hard & soft reset not affected, then there is 2 possibility:
1. Your navigation software was corrupt.. (in my experience - get it happen once)..
try to restore your backup copy.
2. There is some hardware malfucntion.. check your GPS chips or and your serial connection to gps chips.
check with some tools such as minigps to check the NMEA protocol whether to run normally?
if not then then your gps chips or your serial comm was disconnected., try to to tighten it back.
in some case, the soldering connection was fissured gap cause by long heating, soldering it back.

if all not succeed.. then your gps was damaged. Then throw it back to your shop or distributor to get warranty.
(no.2 only done when the warranty was expires)..

hope helps...
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:29 pm

bcda wrote:My cousin from Port Dickson using his friends Papago GPS to singapore. After he passed the 2nd link highway, cross over the bridge & reaching tuas, the signal gone until whole day. Then he also try with his handphone with Garmin GPS, also no signal. What happened actually guys? Is it now singapore blocked the GPS set from other country by identifying the serial number? But last time i went in twice, my garmin no problem at all. Only yesterday my cousin told me this thing happenned.

maybe singapore gov had test their gps signal jammer... #-o

:-$ usually it's done to war preparation.. :-#

bcda

Postby bcda » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:59 am

Thanks guys, but wierd that both GPS signal also gone, 1 is Papago another is Garmin. Signal blocked?

Inggo
Contributor

Postby Inggo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:43 pm

most likely, yes..

thiang
Polygon Mapper
Location: USJ (Garmin-Asus A10 Taiwan Version) & Ipad Mini Retina with Street Pilot MY/SG

Postby thiang » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Signal Block! How come :-?
山不在高 有仙則名 水不在深 有龍則靈

Inggo
Contributor

Postby Inggo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:30 pm

thiang wrote:Signal Block! How come :-?

GPS signal Jammer
Along with the increasing use of GPS—and their rising potential for privacy violations—many are turning to GPS signal jammers to protect their privacy. But how do they work? This article explains.

Why Jam?
It might be a bit mystifying to some as to why someone might want to jam a GPS signal. However, there are those with a particular need for privacy, be it to massage their paranoia, keep law enforcement from engaging in warrantless car tracking, take an unauthorized lunchbreak with a GPS enabled company car, or a teenager not wanting their parents to track their GPS phone. Whether this is all legal or not is an entirely other question.

How They Work: The Basics
The basic purpose of a GPS signal jammer is to prevent GPS loggers from either receiving satellite signals, or sending signals back to their base station. Now, chances are, any GPS you will have contact with use the radio frequency set aside from civilian use: military units use a very different frequency.

The GPS signal jammer works by sending out its own signal on the same frequency as the GPS unit, a noisy signal that prevents it from receiving or transmitting any useful information. There are a number of types of noise signals it can send; some call for a narrowband Gaussian signal, others for a simple continuous wave.

GPS signals are quite weak, being distributed out across the surface of the Earth by satellites high in orbit, so out of all the signals to jam, they're among the easiest to do so.

Models
GPS signal jammers come in a variety of designs, each suited for slightly different uses. The first, and most popular model to hit the mainstream market was one that plugs into the cigarette lighter of a car, effectively disrupting the signal for a 15 foot radius. Not enough to disrupt signals from other cars, but enough to keep you in a cone of GPS jamming silence. However, other versions that are battery powered and are effective to different distances, are also available.
gps jammer car plug.jpg

Of course, you don't necessarily need to buy one—you can make one yourself with a little know-how. The most notorious guide is one posted by Phrack magazine, which has set the US government on track to determine the legality of these devices now that the ability to make them is widely available to civilians. (This guide by Phrack magazine also has some pretty detailed technical information on how they work, if you want more than a layman's explanation.)

gps-gsm jammer.jpg

This device will jam all GPS and GSM signals up to a distance of 50 metres. When activated., it immediately blockes all types of tracking and navigational devices. This model comes complete with built in Ni MH battery and charger and can also be powered by mains voltage or cigarette lighter adaptor..
Only GPS jammers will prevent the GPS loggers and GPS/GSM devices to get GPS positions from the Satellites

Of course, fighting on the ground in Afghanistan and other countries also make use of GPS signal jammers, some Russian made. Obviously, you can't get a hold of these too easily.

Still Trackable
However, just because you have a GPS signal jammer doesn't mean you still can't be tracked. The models intended for cars, for instance, only work while the car and thus the GPS signal jammer is powered on. And you can still be tracked by your mobile phone's own signals if you don't take precautions.

And even just because you're jamming the signal doesn't mean you'll always be safe from being detected by GPS. A technique outlined in this article of GPS World shows how one may determine areas of GPS signal jamming interference, for instance, though this requires infrastructure that does not exist as of yet.

Technically, how to Jam your GPS
GPS stands for Global Positioning System. It is used by individuals, commercial entities and the military for navigational purposes. GPS uses 24 satellites that orbit the earth and send radio signals. The GPS satellites work with a GPS receiver which today can be found in individual handheld units, car navigational systems, boat navigational systems, highly precise commercial products and a wide range of military equipment.

Operation of GPS
GPS operates using triangulation. Triangulation is a method in which three separate points are measured to calculate location. For instance, in a car's navigation system, the car's location is measured by three specific satellites orbiting the earth. Using triangulation, GPS can deliver the location to the receiver within centimeters of its exact spot.

It is important to note that GPS radio signals use a specific frequency. There are actually two major frequencies that GPS work on: one is for public, non-military use (1575.42 MHz) and one that is used solely for the US military (1227.6 MHz). Because GPS is nothing more than radio waves, these waves can be jammed, though technical devices and expertise are needed for that purpose.

Application of GPS jammers
While GPS jammers have been created (specifically by the government, military organizations and spy or privacy gadget companies), most civilians do not have the technical capabilities to create their own home made device. It is much more difficult than just blocking a radio signal with basic radio interference.

Most GPS Jammers are built for military uses, for instance, to confuse the enemy on where their exact location is or where the enemies GPS guided missiles or bombs will fall. However, there are a few civilian uses for jamming GPS signals including the ability to conceal oneself or one's vehicle in the case that it is being tracked by a GPS receiver.

It should be noted that most GPS jammers are illegal to build or use in many countries or localities due to the potential for misuse. For instance, a GPS jammer can confuse aircraft and other vehicle instruments, possibly causing mishaps. Some GPS jammers state that they are only for civilian GPS jamming only; however some military equipment, must first sign onto the civilian GPS radio frequency in order to gain access to the military GPS frequency.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bcda

Postby bcda » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi, After my cousin crossed over to JB from singapore, his both set can be used already. Got signal.

Inggo
Contributor

Postby Inggo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:06 pm

bcda wrote:Hi, After my cousin crossed over to JB from singapore, his both set can be used already. Got signal.

that's proof of i said at http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=118504#p118504 :mrgreen:

Return to “Singapore Map Feedback”