Mapping of Banks POI

Tracklog, POI and error feedback for Singapore. Mapper: OngCC

Moderators: Chuah, Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our maps
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
ccplim
Valued Contributor

Re: Mapping of Banks POI

Postby ccplim » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:23 am

OngCC wrote:
ccplim wrote:
Nicholas Chan wrote:Just a quick suggestion for standardization of naming?

[BANK NAME] <IF ATM ONLY> [BRANCH LOCATION AS WRITTEN ON WEBSITE]

Meaning, a Maybank ATM located at Textile Centre will be named as:

Maybank ATM Textile Centre

While a Branch would be named as:

Maybank Chinatown

Just so that we wouldn't have a mess of categorization.

This is exactly the same method that I am currently using. However, I do noticed that not all branches have ATM (sounds weird but it's true). We might need to add some comments to indicate this.

Also, my habit is to add the address and telephone number into the comment field if they are available.
Yes, this is our naming standard, address and telephone number will be added if available.

Thanks bro! I noticed that many of the SCB branches are already included in the map. I will provide the address and operating hours real soon (and even telephone number if I can find them).

Nicholas Chan

Postby Nicholas Chan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:34 pm

My observation via checking the banks on Mapsource is that some of the road names are wrong, capitalization are off and status (ATM or bank?) is unclear. Would probably need to have a "POI error checker" to run through all that once this Banks POI project is clear. I can probably work on that for a start with existing bank POIs.

Also, I don't know how to enter the opening/closing hour details. Is there anyone who can tell me how to do that?

PS. It appears to be good to launch POI-specific projects that are "dead", meaning they wouldn't change so often and that the location details are easily available on the web. Perhaps next project is Hotels or Petrol Kiosk?

ccplim
Valued Contributor

Postby ccplim » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:44 pm

Nicholas Chan wrote:My observation via checking the banks on Mapsource is that some of the road names are wrong, capitalization are off and status (ATM or bank?) is unclear. Would probably need to have a "POI error checker" to run through all that once this Banks POI project is clear. I can probably work on that for a start with existing bank POIs.

Also, I don't know how to enter the opening/closing hour details. Is there anyone who can tell me how to do that?

You can ignore the operating hours. Bro OngCC has informed me that there isn't enough space for him to include those info.

With regards to the capitalization, I do have some doubts since day one. I wonder is there any particular reason to use Scb, Posb, Dbs instead of SCB, POSB, DBS? Perhaps it's some form of software limitation? :-?

Nicholas Chan wrote:PS. It appears to be good to launch POI-specific projects that are "dead", meaning they wouldn't change so often and that the location details are easily available on the web. Perhaps next project is Hotels or Petrol Kiosk?

This may sounds easy but trust me, they are not. I have been working on a few of them and I know.... Sometimes, even the own company website do not provide updated information #-o :ko:

sabre23t

Postby sabre23t » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:36 pm

ccplim wrote:
Nicholas Chan wrote:PS. It appears to be good to launch POI-specific projects that are "dead", meaning they wouldn't change so often [...]
This may sounds easy but trust me, they are not. I have been working on a few of them and I know.... Sometimes, even the own company website do not provide updated information #-o :ko:

After doing a GDB of POIs for a company "branches/shops", you might want to email them a Mapsource screenshot of the POIs together with the GDB and short description about MFM and Garmin Mapsource GDB. That might entice them to post the GDB, and link to MFM on their website and even possibly update the GDB themselves. 8-)
4SQ, Waze, GMM, MSM, MFM & OSM ;-}

ccplim
Valued Contributor

Postby ccplim » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:06 pm

sabre23t wrote:
ccplim wrote:
Nicholas Chan wrote:PS. It appears to be good to launch POI-specific projects that are "dead", meaning they wouldn't change so often [...]

After doing a GDB of POIs for a company "branches/shops", you might want to email them a Mapsource screenshot of the POIs together with the GDB and short description about MFM and Garmin Mapsource GDB. That might entice them to post the GDB, and link to MFM on their website and even possibly update the GDB themselves. 8-)

Sounds like a good idea but I wonder how many of them will actually update the GDB file (when they don't even update on their own website)? :lol:

ccplim
Valued Contributor

Postby ccplim » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:29 pm

Nicholas Chan wrote:PS. May I ask if you can do me a favour and write up a short guide on how to properly name and make the POIs? I can research it but the working guides are scattered all around and I haven't got down to assembling the "how to contribute" guide. Thanks!

Hi Nicholas,

What I will normally do is...
1) Find out any information from either the company website or the internet. (You have already completed this step when you provide those links in your first post) =D>

2) Start a new file in mapsource and start plotting out each and every points (Don't have to be very accurate. Just make sure that the point is there so that you can easily refer back at a later time). Remember to save your file as and when as you go along.

3) If the website provide information such as address and telephone number, I will usually add them into the commect field (refer to picture below).

4) Last but not least (final adjustments), in order to make the position more accurate, I will usually a)try to find pictures/information from the web to pinpoint the exact location, b)make a trip to the location personally to verify if I get the chance or time (very tedious if you have alot of points), c)rely on the help of all the kind bros and sisters from this forum to provide feedback (after you have submitted your file).

5) Lastly, clean/touch up whatever you feel that is needed, upload your file to MFM and pray for the best :mrgreen:

I hope this helps and not confuse you further :lol:

ps. With regards to the naming standard, I did not refer to any of the reference in here before hand. Maybe I am just lucky that the naming standard I use are similar to MFM's standard. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ccplim
Valued Contributor

Postby ccplim » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:40 pm

Bro Nicholas,

For your information, I have already uploaded my SCB branches/ATMs file. You can refer to my post over here.

Nicholas Chan

Postby Nicholas Chan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi Lim,

I have updated main post, sorry took so long as I have been busy running around with work these few days.

Another suggestion, perhaps to only have banks to have the logo and all ATMs are NOT to have the bank logo? This is because in Singapore there are usually clusters of ATMs and that can lead to the map looking extremely messy.

ccplim wrote:Bro Nicholas,

For your information, I have already uploaded my SCB branches/ATMs file. You can refer to my post over here.

ccplim
Valued Contributor

Postby ccplim » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:40 am

Nicholas Chan wrote:Hi Lim,

I have updated main post, sorry took so long as I have been busy running around with work these few days.

Another suggestion, perhaps to only have banks to have the logo and all ATMs are NOT to have the bank logo? This is because in Singapore there are usually clusters of ATMs and that can lead to the map looking extremely messy.

No worries bro! It is a good sign to be busy with work during this period of time.

Your suggestion sound alright to me. Another suggestion is to have a slightly different logo (eg. bank logo with frames for branches or a small little "A" superimposed with the logo to indicate that it is a ATM). But then, it is fully up to the application(s) that the mappers are using as we have no idea whether are they able to support such functions.

End of the day, the most important thing is that we are able to find the right thing that we need. :)

sotongkia

Postby sotongkia » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:50 am

ccplim wrote:
Nicholas Chan wrote:My observation via checking the banks on Mapsource is that some of the road names are wrong, capitalization are off and status (ATM or bank?) is unclear. Would probably need to have a "POI error checker" to run through all that once this Banks POI project is clear. I can probably work on that for a start with existing bank POIs.

You can ignore the operating hours. Bro OngCC has informed me that there isn't enough space for him to include those info.

That's right. There are no spaces for operating hours, etc. Only Address, and one phone number.
If you you see "ATM" in the POI, that means it is just ATM. If you see "POSB Bukit Timah" for example, that mean it is a branch.

ccplim wrote:With regards to the capitalization, I do have some doubts since day one. I wonder is there any particular reason to use Scb, Posb, Dbs instead of SCB, POSB, DBS? Perhaps it's some form of software limitation? :-?

Yes, I think its software limitation. Either it is the Garmin or the Compilation software. Not possible unless "P.O.S.B."

Return to “Singapore Map Feedback”