Singapore Expressways Ramp Exit Numbers

Tracklog, POI and error feedback for Singapore. Mapper: OngCC

Moderators: Chuah, Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our maps
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
indrapr
Valued Contributor

Singapore Expressways Ramp Exit Numbers

Postby indrapr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:58 pm

Following up a good suggestion on another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1776

Please find attached the list of exit numbers along the AYE (Ayer Rajah Expressway) in addition to the road name the exit is leading to. I'm using this format for the exit ramps:

Exit [n] [road]

whereby [n] is the exit number and [road] is the name of the road where the exit is leading to.

e.g.:
Exit 9 Clementi Rd
Exit 15A Corporation Rd

I also would like to suggest standardising the name of the entrance ramp leading to the expressway, to include the direction, e.g. for AYE, whether it's leading to ECP (east) or Tuas (west). I noticed that it's already on some ramps but not all of them. This is the format I used on the attached gdb file:

[expressway] [direction] Ramp

e.g.:
AYE (Tuas) Ramp
AYE (ECP) Ramp

For the expressway polylines themselves, I would also suggest to use the short form (e.g. AYE) instead of the current full name of the expressway (e.g. Ayer Rajah Expressway) plus the direction of the expressway, e.g.:

AYE (ECP)
AYE (Tuas)

One example is on the same attached gdb file. I believe for dual carriageway like expressways, the "polylines" can have different name for each direction, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I hope my suggestions can be accepted. :) If accepted, Bro OngCC please advise whether the attached gdb format is acceptable or is there anything I can do to improve the format to make it easier for you. :) If the format is acceptable, I'll continue with other expressways such as KJE, PIE, BKE etc.

Update: Sorry forgot to inform this: please ignore the "-" or the numbers (1, 2, 3) on some of the names because we cannot have two waypoints using the same name on a single gdb file.

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colalite
Valued Contributor

Re: Singapore Expressways Ramp Exit Numbers

Postby colalite » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:29 pm

I think it is a good proposal, bro.
I just want to say that beware that AYE will be announced as "aye" (to mean "yes" in English) in my Nuvi and not A Y E. There is a need to edit it as A.Y.E.
I am not sure how 15A will be announced or is there a need to split 15 and A.
Just my 2 rupee remark. I am sure our sifus are aware of the above.
Cheers

ccplim
Valued Contributor

Postby ccplim » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:49 pm

Bro indrapr,

For your information, this is already a work in progress. I just need to verify the information before submitting the data to bro OngCC :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

indrapr
Valued Contributor

Postby indrapr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:06 pm

Bro ccplim,

Glad to hear that it's already in progress. Can't wait to see them on the map, then... :thumbsup:

Thanks.

ccplim
Valued Contributor

Postby ccplim » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:13 pm

indrapr wrote:Bro ccplim,

Glad to hear that it's already in progress. Can't wait to see them on the map, then... :thumbsup:

Thanks.

I am just doing a small part on the data collection :) Will have to leave it to bro OngCC to see how he want to format the data as I have no idea how much information he can dump in :mrgreen:

indrapr
Valued Contributor

Postby indrapr » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:17 am

ccplim wrote:I am just doing a small part on the data collection :) Will have to leave it to bro OngCC to see how he want to format the data as I have no idea how much information he can dump in :mrgreen:

Bro, just a suggestion, you might want to upload whatever you have on .gdb format here so that everyone knows how's the progress and avoid duplication of work. Furthermore, we can further discuss on the naming and format convention together with bro OngCC here.

For example, earlier suggestion from colalite with regards to the naming of the expressway (e.g. A.Y.E instead of AYE) might want to be considered as well.

Thank you.

ccplim
Valued Contributor

Postby ccplim » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:41 am

indrapr wrote:
ccplim wrote:I am just doing a small part on the data collection :) Will have to leave it to bro OngCC to see how he want to format the data as I have no idea how much information he can dump in :mrgreen:

Bro, just a suggestion, you might want to upload whatever you have on .gdb format here so that everyone knows how's the progress and avoid duplication of work. Furthermore, we can further discuss on the naming and format convention together with bro OngCC here.

For example, earlier suggestion from colalite with regards to the naming of the expressway (e.g. A.Y.E instead of AYE) might want to be considered as well.

Thank you.

Not a problem! I can do just that but let me perform some clean up to the file first. I have bascially mapped out all the exits but will need to walk the ground to confirm all the information cos those that I obtained from the web might be outdated.

Secondly, the naming convention you see in the screen capture above are just temporary. I will usually change it to the "correct format" once I confirmed that the data is correct so that I can "ignore" that entry when I rework on the file again. :)

By the way, anyone want to try creating some symbols that we can use to indicate those exits on the map? :mrgreen: I have been playing around with a few but not sure how useful and how they will actually look like when viewed on the Nuvi (as I don't own one yet).

OngCC
Senior Mapper

Postby OngCC » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:16 pm

We can have only 1 icon for all the exits. Not possible to have different icon for every exit.
Upload your contribution to MFM drop box if you don't want others to take your contributed tracklogs or POIs.
http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11630

ccplim
Valued Contributor

Postby ccplim » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:22 pm

OngCC wrote:We can have only 1 icon for all the exits. Not possible to have different icon for every exit.

Alamak! Too bad.... ](*,)

ccplim
Valued Contributor

Postby ccplim » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:31 am

Bro indrapr ,

Sorry for the late reply on this. Here is the .gdb file of the exits that I have marked out. There isn't much info in the file right now but the following will be the format that I will be using when I submit the file.

Name
Format : Name of highway, Exit no. - (Direction)
Eg. : P.I.E Exit 5 - (Tuas)

Comment
Format : As per what you will see on the physical exit signbroad (but not including the numbers)
Eg. : 1. Bukit Panjang, 2. Choa Chu Kang, etc.

ps... Please refer to screen capture below.

For your information, I have collected quite a number of information last weekend and I will start putting them into my actual file. If the mapper(s) are okay with the format that I have posted below, I should be able to start submitting them this week :)

Return to “Singapore Map Feedback”