Cannot find "Taman Nanyang", but it's in the map !

Tracklog, POI and error feedback for Melaka. Mapper: Sunn

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our maps
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
kwlee

Cannot find "Taman Nanyang", but it's in the map !

Postby kwlee » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:35 pm

Had a disappointing experience trying find a place while I was in Melaka 2 days ago. :(

I am looking for this place called "Taman Nanyang" with MFM 100208 on my Nuvi 200 (F/W 5.00). I tried searching using "nanyang" and results in Johor (Tangkak, Segamat, Yong Peng) came up but none in Melaka, though my location is in Melaka. So, I though the POI is not in the map.

Later I realized "Taman Nanyang" is indeed in the map as I can see the POI in both Nuvi (using Browse Map) and also found the same in MapSource.

But why didn't it turn up in the Search Results ? :-?

shideen
Senior Mapper

Re: Cannot find "Taman Nanyang", but it's in the map !

Postby shideen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:36 pm

kwlee wrote:Had a disappointing experience trying find a place while I was in Melaka 2 days ago. :(

I am looking for this place called "Taman Nanyang" with MFM 100208 on my Nuvi 200 (F/W 5.00). I tried searching using "nanyang" and results in Johor (Tangkak, Segamat, Yong Peng) came up but none in Melaka, though my location is in Melaka. So, I though the POI is not in the map.

Later I realized "Taman Nanyang" is indeed in the map as I can see the POI in both Nuvi (using Browse Map) and also found the same in MapSource.

But why didn't it turn up in the Search Results ? :-?

U search via "cities" or POI?
Taman should be search via cities. Works on nuvi200.
Nuvi200, 255W, GMXT on N5800, 60csx, Papago X3 (EastGear), Galactio V8

fruitplus
Polygon Mapper

Postby fruitplus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:43 pm

On my Nuvi 255W can search via Cities but cant via POI>Spell Name
Past + Present = Future

kwlee

Postby kwlee » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:48 pm

shideen wrote:U search via "cities" or POI?

I searched via POI->Spell Name.

Thanks for the pointer.

I managed to locate the Taman via "Cities" after several tries. I was lazy to spell the full name and used "nanyang" as keyword -> "No Match Found"

I realized "Spell" in Cities requires the front of the string to match the POI, eg "Taman Nan" will return the right result, but "Nanyang" alone will not.

This is probably a deficiency of the Nuvi firmware, nothing related to MFM.

fruitplus
Polygon Mapper

Postby fruitplus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:31 pm

kwlee wrote:
shideen wrote:U search via "cities" or POI?

I searched via POI->Spell Name.

Thanks for the pointer.

I managed to locate the Taman via "Cities" after several tries. I was lazy to spell the full name and used "nanyang" as keyword -> "No Match Found"

I realized "Spell" in Cities requires the front of the string to match the POI, eg "Taman Nan" will return the right result, but "Nanyang" alone will not.

This is probably a deficiency of the Nuvi firmware, nothing related to MFM.

Better find by spell full name for POI, road name & places. The 1st string are significant.
Hope can help :peace:
Past + Present = Future

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:20 am

fruitplus wrote:Better find by spell full name for POI, road name & places. The 1st string are significant.

Actually the only situation that the front of the string is absolutely needed to match the name is if you search via Cities. As POI > Spell Name, the string can be anywhere within the name. While for Address search, for most of the time, any (complete) word within the name can be sufficient already, although more correct words (in the right order) will result in more narrowed search.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

fruitplus
Polygon Mapper

Postby fruitplus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:57 am

dvpro wrote:
fruitplus wrote:Better find by spell full name for POI, road name & places. The 1st string are significant.

Actually the only situation that the front of the string is absolutely needed to match the name is if you search via Cities. As POI > Spell Name, the string can be anywhere within the name. While for Address search, for most of the time, any (complete) word within the name can be sufficient already, although more correct words (in the right order) will result in more narrowed search.

:tq: for the advise
Last edited by dvpro on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: You're welcome.
Past + Present = Future

Return to “Melaka Map Feedback”