What a newbie needs to know: FAQ

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
alexmax021

Re: What newbie need to know? FAQ

Postby alexmax021 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:54 pm

What's up everyone, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hey. Hopefully I posted this in the right section!

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:11 pm

[quote="alexmax021"]What's up everyone, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hey. Hopefully I posted this in the right section! [quote]

:welcome: to MFM, bro alexmax021!

If you want to say hello, just go to The official newbie's "Hello" topic at this newbie section... Please feel free to go thru the newbie and library section to get yourself familiar with MFM and GPS.

xtremeboy

Postby xtremeboy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:02 pm

Good Evening.
Sorry if this a stupid question.
I'm new with this device.
Why can't i see any traffic light icon in my Nuvi 1250 even if i zoom 100%? Is there anything wrong?
Please help.

Thanks in advance.

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:35 pm

I may be totally wrong here, but I noticed that the newer Nuvi models cannot display some of these POIs, including traffic lights.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

rodapanas

Postby rodapanas » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:18 am

hye there..im new guy here.
just want to know how to make GPI file? can you all describe a details? its the way to update the map?
i want to update about my hometown area sedenak/layang². not so much to find out around this area. when i try to find in garmin some area not exist. correct me if im wrong. what suppose i need to do? or where suppose to highlight this?

please help..

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:50 am

rodapanas wrote:hye there..im new guy here.
just want to know how to make GPI file? can you all describe a details? its the way to update the map?
i want to update about my hometown area sedenak/layang². not so much to find out around this area. when i try to find in garmin some area not exist. correct me if im wrong. what suppose i need to do? or where suppose to highlight this?

please help..

It's pleasing to know that you want to also contribute tracks and POIs of your hometown. That's the way to do it! Start local...

First, go to the Library (viewforum.php?f=28) to read about the many 'How To' articles. You might also want to learn about MapSource (to edit, clean, etc.) your recorded tracks and POIs. Files are either saved in GDB or GPX formats.... for contribution to this forum.

You will not be interested in GPI files (yet) as these are 'customised POI' files, which are POIs with audio alerts. You would need POILoader to make GPI files.

So, head to the Library and spend some time there.... then come back and shoot some more questions.

Have fun!
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

uy_k17

Postby uy_k17 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi, anyone knows why I can't receive any signal or locate satellite with my nuvi 205?

It is impossible to get beyond 1 bar whenever I am under a roof. Even if im out on the road, it takes really long to acquire satellites.

Any idea? Thanks.

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:39 pm

uy_k17 wrote:Hi, anyone knows why I can't receive any signal or locate satellite with my nuvi 205?

It is impossible to get beyond 1 bar whenever I am under a roof. Even if im out on the road, it takes really long to acquire satellites.

Any idea? Thanks.

try reset your GPS,
backup first your custom POI & Track log.

here:
viewtopic.php?p=118503#p118503
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

kokobeans

Postby kokobeans » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Hello All,

I'm currently based in Indonesia and i am using papago R6100. ( standard map right off the store )

I have had wonderful experience navigating many roads in Indonesia with the help of
this device.

But it can only calculate a route within abt 30ish KM only. So during my travel i have to set my next travel destination every 30 km or so. Anyone faced this issue?

am not sure where to post this issue as imho it could be just some settings in papago itself or could be the map itself or issue of papago capability ?

Any pointer is very much welcomes

Many Thanks

buzzlie

Postby buzzlie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:25 am

hornet wrote:Hi newbie all,

:welcome: to MFM

1- What software needed ?
Software for your PC or lappy - Garmin Mapsource (free download)
Recommended Garmin Mapsource version: 6.13.7 for Windows XP. Get MapSource Users Guide at here.

:rox:

Mapsource 6.13.7 is recommended by a few ... any link for me to get it?

And once I got it, whats next please?

Return to “Newbie Lounge”