What a newbie needs to know: FAQ

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: What a newbie needs to know: FAQ

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:33 am

semekom15g wrote:I had a problem to install Mapsource when I change to windows 7 home...
anyone please help...

XP - Win7 procedure to install mapsource is still same ... suggest you immerse yourself in our library for knowledge and how to get it done ...

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=735

angeles

Postby angeles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi , I'm new here. I'm using papago x8.5 , is there any tools where I can edit the POI or edit the maps? Since the place I want to go is still not up to date.

wimbly

Postby wimbly » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:41 pm

Just add your own POIs to Favorite.

angeles

Postby angeles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:11 pm

Is there any similar tools like MapSource that I can use on Papago?

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:56 pm

angeles wrote:Is there any similar tools like MapSource that I can use on Papago?

No. Install MapSource and latest cGPSmapper MfM map to reference our latest map. We use the same map data for Garmin and Papago formats.

If you want to report new POIs, new tracks and/or update changes, save in MapSource's GDB format and feedback at the relevant subforum here:
viewforum.php?f=17
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

Skylinestar
Valued Contributor

Postby Skylinestar » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Is there any chance that the gmapbmap.img can overlay on top of the gmapprom.img ?
Is Garmin smart enough that gmapprom will always be higher priority than the gmapbmap.

user66

Postby user66 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:28 pm

How to extract Mobile Garmin XT Track files (garmin_xt) using GPSBabel.

This format can...

read tracks

This format has the following options: ftype, trk_header .

Garmin Mobile XT track (GARMIN_STRK.NVM and GARMIN_ATRK.NVM) files

This format is capable to read saved tracks (GARMIN_STRK.NVM) and active track (GARMIN_ATRK.NVM) files used by Garmin Mobile XT software available for some Windows Mobile, Palm OS, Blackberry and Symbian devices ( http://www8.garmin.com/mobile/mobilext/ ). It has been tested with files generated by Garmin Mobile XT v5.00.20wp on MS Windows Mobile v5.0. This format source code is derived from GMXT2GPX application source code. The original code to read this format has been written in Free Pascal and available at: http://www.geocaching.hu/users.geo?id=9508 ; http://sites.google.com/site/jekaeff/eng-1 as GMXT2GPX application (as per website granted OpenSource/Libre license).

Usage examples:

* Export active track from active track file: gpsbabel -i garmin_xt,ftype=ATRK -f <PATH_TO_INPUT_FILE>/GARMIN_ATRK.NVM -o gpx -F <PATH_TO_OUTPUT_FILE>/garmin_xt_atrk.gpx * Export all saved tracks from saved tracks file: gpsbabel -i garmin_xt,ftype=STRK -f <PATH_TO_INPUT_FILE>/GARMIN_STRK.NVM -o gpx -F <PATH_TO_OUTPUT_FILE>/garmin_xt_strk.gpx

Both files are kept in main application directory. Other files created by "Garmin Mobile XT":
GARMIN.NVM - General Garmin preferences including current location
GARMIN_ARTE.NVM - Active routes
GARMIN_ATRK.NVM - Active tracks
GARMIN_SRTE.NVM - Saved routes
GARMIN_STRK.NVM - Saved tracks
GARMIN_WPT.NVM - Favorites/Waypoints
GARMIN_TRIP.NVM - Trip computer data

more details:
http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.4.0/f ... in_xt.html

Tg0dmw

Postby Tg0dmw » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi everyone, I just got my Garmin Zumo 350 a while back and have been having problems getting malfree maps on my device. I have tried renaming it and installing it in both the memory card as well as internal memory but i still get the same problem. I even PM-ed a moderator as well as a fellow zumo user.

My problem is that when I start navigating the device will switch itself off randomly and I have to restart it while riding. It doesnt have this problem if i disable malfree and switch back to malsing maps. But I honestly prefer using mfm alot more. could anyone help please?

Peisqo

Postby Peisqo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Are the maps now including junction view ?

bruggers

Postby bruggers » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:02 am

Hi - I am not exactly new- but I am completely lost now.
Wanted to download an updated map on my Zumo 660...
In the past I just clicked on a link - and the I could download the map....
Now, what do I have to do?

Can someone help?

Return to “Newbie Lounge”