What a newbie needs to know: FAQ

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: What newbie need to know? FAQ

Postby silverbeauty » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:31 pm

ivan5563 wrote:I am sorry...i have no idea with gps at all...js want to ask...those mapsource js for garmin only?

if i want to install to "eroda" device.......js copy n paste those map to the device?

Eroda is a China brand GPS. You will have to let us know what Navigational software is installed in the GPS. Our site provides maps for several platforms, namely Garmin, Papagp, iGo, Galactio and Mio Polnav only

Mapsource is a dedicated PC based software for the use on Garmin Map platform.

ivan5563

Re: What a newbie needs to know: FAQ

Postby ivan5563 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:19 am

silverbeauty wrote:
ivan5563 wrote:I am sorry...i have no idea with gps at all...js want to ask...those mapsource js for garmin only?

if i want to install to "eroda" device.......js copy n paste those map to the device?

Eroda is a China brand GPS. You will have to let us know what Navigational software is installed in the GPS. Our site provides maps for several platforms, namely Garmin, Papagp, iGo, Galactio and Mio Polnav only

The navigation software is "careland".....but it is china map....any navigational software suitable for me? how to install?

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:28 pm

ivan5563 wrote:
silverbeauty wrote:

The navigation software is "careland".....but it is china map....any navigational software suitable for me? how to install?

Already answered in your other post : Usually installing navigation softwares in these WinCE devices involves the use of illegally obtained copyrighted software. And such discussion is not allowed here

starugly

Postby starugly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:37 am

gud info! thanks all, new here and need more guide from existing member.

volant

Postby volant » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:12 am

Hi guys

i am new in this forum. last time i used MSM for my garmin. as u know msm comes with a junction view file also. my question is that, how to get that junction view for mfm? thx

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:49 am

volant wrote:Hi guys

i am new in this forum. last time i used MSM for my garmin. as u know msm comes with a junction view file also. my question is that, how to get that junction view for mfm? thx

Our current maps do not support JCV.

You may like to consider this : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12581

khoojason

Postby khoojason » Sat May 26, 2012 12:35 am

Hi,

Need help. I'm uncertain if i have missed a step or done something incorrectly but i have follow all the instructions and successfully installed Mapsource 6.16.3 and installed the MFM-Garmin-120521 with the full customisation option and the custom polygons & POIs. But each time when i open Mapsource the no information or map appears. Greatly appreciated if a solution can be provided. Thx

hornet wrote:Hi newbie all,

:welcome: to MFM

1- What software needed ?
Software for your PC or lappy - Garmin Mapsource (free download)
Recommended Garmin Mapsource version: 6.13.7 for Windows XP. Get MapSource Users Guide at here.

2- How to install Mapsource?
Step by step guide refer here

3- How to install MFM free map?
Step by step guide here

4- How to feedback error, POI (Point Of Interest) & track?
Refer POI contribution guide
Refer here

5- Why you need Garmin Mapsource ? What format file use for contribution?
The only Garmin database file format (*.gdb) that we needed. Transfering data from Garmin device to PC by using usb cable then click receive device icon. Then save it in gdb format. Refer here

6- Why you need to feedback, submit tracklog & POI (Point Of Interest)?
Good question.....? :-? Free ....MFM map :thumbsup: , Better ....MFM map :champ: , MFM map improvement .... =P~

7- How to contribute POI & Track using Mapsource?
Pls refer here

8- How to do track log?
Use Garmin handheld model like Garmin eTrek, Garmin 60Csx, Garmin Colorado, Garmin Oregon, Papago R5800, Holux, Nokia Sports Tracker, I-Blue GPS Data logger & etc. Or other model refer Garmin Nuvi 2xx or Garmin Nuvi 2x5 / 7x5
Preferred 1-sec tracklog

9- How to start with new Garmin gadget?
Garmin device refer here

10- Where to download free GPS maps?
Here free Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei & Thailand , Indonesia (Navigasi.net)
At here: Garmin Free Public Download, Papago Free Public Download, Magellan.

11- How to help/donate MFM?
Please refer here

:rox:

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Sat May 26, 2012 4:34 am

khoojason wrote:Hi,

Need help. I'm uncertain if i have missed a step or done something incorrectly but i have follow all the instructions and successfully installed Mapsource 6.16.3 and installed the MFM-Garmin-120521 with the full customisation option and the custom polygons & POIs. But each time when i open Mapsource the no information or map appears. Greatly appreciated if a solution can be provided. Thx

After running Mapsource, did you select a map ?

Read our library for tips on how to install and use mapsource
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=735
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=791

khoojason

Postby khoojason » Sat May 26, 2012 9:20 am

Thx...got it sorted already. Appreciate it.

silverbeauty wrote:
khoojason wrote:Hi,

After running Mapsource, did you select a map ?

Read our library for tips on how to install and use mapsource
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=735
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=791

luqmanmusa

Postby luqmanmusa » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:47 am

hello all sifoos and forumers...

im newbie here....just downloade mfm latest map and want to place in my Garmin mobile XT for nokia E72...

got 1 Question, i know we can keep both maps in same place...

but just wanna know can i simply rename the new map as gmapsupp2.img ??? :-?

Return to “Newbie Lounge”