The official newbie's "Hello" topic

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
amamat
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Re: The official newbie's "Hello" topic

Postby amamat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:54 pm

stephenabraham wrote:Hi, just needed some pointers from experienced Users of 42LM / 52LM
This is my latest MFM installed, both map and poi selected under "Mapinfo"
Nuvi 42LM;Maps selected MFM-Garmin 140609; MFM Poi 140609

What is the best way to search for a POI? For example "Tesco", because some methods just don't show any results.
1. "where to" -> "Search" ==>> No matches found
2. "where to" -> "Categories" -> "Search" ==>> No matches found
3. "where to" -> "Categories" -> "Shopping" -> "All Shopping" ==>> Results OK

Question: Why can't i search for POIs at the highest level and must select the correct category before searching. Because sometimes i don't know which category that particular interest could be.

And there is no way for me to search for example for "Menara AIA".. just don't know how to find it. That POI is in Mapsource. When generating the gmapsupp.img, i have selected all business POIs and road names also.

Note: Searching for road names via the "where to" -> '"Address" works well..

Thanks!!

Exactly what happen with 42lm. Searching for POIS is a terrible headache. Sold my 42lm and bought a 2nd hand 40lm instead. Seaching is a lot easier with 40lm and former models.

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:48 pm

stephenabraham wrote:Hi, just needed some pointers from experienced Users of 42LM / 52LM

What is the best way to search for a POI? For example "Tesco", because some methods just don't show any results.

Question: Why can't i search for POIs at the highest level and must select the correct category before searching. Because sometimes i don't know which category that particular interest could be.

And there is no way for me to search for example for "Menara AIA".. just don't know how to find it. That POI is in Mapsource. When generating the gmapsupp.img, i have selected all business POIs and road names also.

Thanks!!

amamat wrote:Exactly what happen with 42lm. Searching for POIS is a terrible headache. Sold my 42lm and bought a 2nd hand 40lm instead. Seaching is a lot easier with 40lm and former models.

Do not be too specific in your search. Do not use categories.

If the contributor did not specify the category, how would the mapper guess?

Just search under POI and Spell Name. In spelling the name, use keywords and not the full name which may not be what is in the map. That should work most of the time.
Lean not on your own understanding

amamat
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby amamat » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:14 pm

That is the problem with 42lm. There is no 'Point of Interest' icon. Every search have to go through categories. And you have to guess that POIs you are searching falls under which category. If it cannot be found under one category, you have to search under the next category, and next, and next, untill it is found.

And the worst part, there is no category 'Other' which 'Menara AIA' for example and road names and many others are categorised. And therefore there is no way we can search for Menara AIA, and so as thousands other POIs which is categorised under the 'Other' category. Thus they will disappear and can never be found with 42lm/52lm.

p/s: please forgive me :prayer: :prayer: . I hate this model so much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bangbang77

Postby bangbang77 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:45 am

Hi all DaGeDaJie,

Newbie reporting ...i own a garmin nuvi 3790.
hoping to learn from gps gadget from all senior here..

Skylinestar
Valued Contributor

Postby Skylinestar » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Thanks!!

I'm facing this issue too, which I think is due to the cgpsmapper map. How to fix this issue other than downloading the old Garmin NT map from garmin official site?

ahsiang888

Postby ahsiang888 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:23 am

Thanks!!

I didn't see the same issue on my 52LM:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14942&p=194677#p194677
http://outdatedpenanguncle.blogspot.com/

tutorfl

Postby tutorfl » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I registered myself in this forum a long time ago, then one day I find myself "kicked out" and need to contact a board administrator. But there is no possible way for me to contact anyone in this forum since I had no access anymore :( :cry:

I still don't know what happened to my previous account. Trying to fix the papago in my phone :ko:

Ammaar

Postby Ammaar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi, i got nuvi 3597 from US with preloaded America Map.

I'm using MAC computer.

what type of map can i install? And how i install it in MAC computer?

Thanks for your help

:tq:

cvco

Postby cvco » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Im an American man staying in Penang a long time. Ive been on Malsingmaps for years and now came here. I use a Windows phone and Garmin Mobile 10X receiver and also a Nuvi 2455LMT which I bought in US.

Its been so long that i HAD to do something ive forgotten how. Example, how to add gdb files to Nuvi? I need some new basic lessons in dealing with files!

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:25 am

cvco wrote:Im an American man staying in Penang a long time. Ive been on Malsingmaps for years and now came here. I use a Windows phone and Garmin Mobile 10X receiver and also a Nuvi 2455LMT which I bought in US.

Its been so long that i HAD to do something ive forgotten how. Example, how to add gdb files to Nuvi? I need some new basic lessons in dealing with files!

On Nuvi, just touch screen and hold to save as personal favorites

On Mobile XT, beloeve same. On Smartphone screen when running application, touch the map which should prompt you whether you want to save the location as favourite.

You can use Garmin Mapsource on PC / Lappy to create / save POI and then transfer to your Smart Phone - Nuvi.

An old almost forgotten application Garmin POI Loader can be used to do that with your Mobile XT http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... jsp?id=927

Suggest you immerse yourself in our library thread which contains a wealth of information to revitalize your memory. viewforum.php?f=28

Return to “Newbie Lounge”