The official newbie's "Hello" topic

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
spclocktower
Valued Contributor

Newbie from Sg Petani

Postby spclocktower » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:00 pm

Hi! Hello! Salam Sejahtera! Ni Hao! Vanakam! Sawasdee Krap! to all SIFU.

A newbie reporting in. I'm still learning. Appreciate your help. Thanks! :)
Nuvi 205 + i-Blue 747 GPS logger + (N)bokia 5800 with Garmin XT

elhombre

The official newbie's "Hello" topic

Postby elhombre » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:42 pm

:) Hi everyone,
It is nice to be here with people sharing the same interests.
I am a 64 year old newbie, a retired professional aviator. And as someone who has been dependant on GPS and automated navigation for many years traversing the globe, I am handicapped to know that many of you earthbound brothers have a superior knowledge and hands on experience creating and modifying maps from scratch! I am impressed and awed by some of you, if not, all of you!
I would love to learn the magic secrets, out of sheer personal satisfaction.
Salam hormat,

El Hombre

stupidhead

stupidhead reporting in....

Postby stupidhead » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:59 pm

hi all, i just registered here, have been inactive from the gps scene for a while. now my new job and some new toys - in the form of bluetooth gps receiver/loggers and a new location - kk instead of miri, is getting me started again. hope to be contributing some sabah/kk tracks soon.

i wonder how many here knows me... is bern, or stay1, or musa here...?

cyc_gt4
Contributor

hihi....cyc_gt4 report in....

Postby cyc_gt4 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:44 pm

hi i m cyc_gt4 from nilai juz joined tis forum......

eastpaw

First post

Postby eastpaw » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi, good people. I only just heard of Malfreemaps today, believe it or not.

Have just downloaded the latest map and am eager to try it out later today. :)

Peace.

aimnfire

Newbie here

Postby aimnfire » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi everyone

i'm new to this GPS thing
and i got a so call GPS unit using winCE platform with igo8, tomtom, garminxt, mapking,route66, papagox2 install for my navigation.

too many software makes me blur but of course different software actually advantage for me.

anyway here are some questions i hope somebody can answer them.

for MFM, how do I contribute POI? there are some missing atms in Punggol area. just realise no POI for axs machine.

is there anyway for us to search let say for example, i know block 272 and it is in Tampines town and i do not know the postal code.
can i just search blk 272, type tampines and it give me the exact location?
currently when i type tampines, it will bring all the tampines street names which i do not know blk 272 in which street. therefore i got to scroll 1 by 1 the street names.

regards

opboy

Hi ya..i m a newbie

Postby opboy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi all, i m new to map stuff...have brought a garmin 255w localised set. Just came across your site and realise that MSN & MFM are diff... Glad to hear that u guys try hard to maintence this site to keep it free. Well done guys.

khakis359

Hello

Postby khakis359 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi Bro & Sis,

Newbie here, just bought a Garmin 255W :D

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Newbie here

Postby silverbeauty » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:15 pm

aimnfire wrote:Hi everyone

i'm new to this GPS thing
and i got a so call GPS unit using winCE platform with igo8, tomtom, garminxt, mapking,route66, papagox2 install for my navigation.
Wow :shock: what device make/model you have that can handle so many type of Navigational software ?

too many software makes me blur but of course different software actually advantage for me.
And do you really need all of them or you are a collector of software :mrgreen:

anyway here are some questions i hope somebody can answer them.

for MFM, how do I contribute POI? there are some missing atms in Punggol area. just realise no POI for axs machine.
Please read the below mentioned links
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1443
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=865
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3166

is there anyway for us to search let say for example, i know block 272 and it is in Tampines town and i do not know the postal code.
can i just search blk 272, type tampines and it give me the exact location?
currently when i type tampines, it will bring all the tampines street names which i do not know blk 272 in which street. therefore i got to scroll 1 by 1 the street names.
Please read this link : viewtopic.php?p=45791#p45791

regards

warthog02

Grateful Newbie

Postby warthog02 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi All

Just downloaded the latest map from your site and found it to be very useful. I appreciate it's all very hard work from you guys and thank you all. I was a member of another Malaysia/Singapore GPS site for some time but was told to contribute a map if I wish to download anything from them. That threw me off until I came across your site.

I have some tracks in gdb format and will email them to admin if they can be useful to you. I don't know how to make maps, so I can't contribute any. I can contribute some petty cash if someone can tell me where to bank in my small notes.

I started using the Garmin GPS Map 196 many years ago for my flying within the Asean countries (I'm a private pilot) and decided to use it for my road traveling as well. However I cannot load any road map into the unit unless I buy a Memory Card (Part No. 010-10226-12) from Garmin which costs USD70. The problem is the courier cost puts me off and my friends traveling to the US don't seem to be able to find it in the shops there.

So right now I can only input the waypoints and create routes from point to point with no road to follow (there are some roads in the aviation database that comes with the unit but they are about 30 years old and very inaccurate). For very complicated locations, I bring along a printout of your excellent maps as well.

To all those who contribute their work to this site, I say "terima kasih" and may you be blessed.

Return to “Newbie Lounge”