Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
dvpro

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby dvpro » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:21 pm

chee_loong wrote:If you enable folder like below screen shot. You should able to see .System hidden folder.

I believe the setting to "Hide protected operating system files" needs to be unchecked as well.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

chee_loong
Contributor

Postby chee_loong » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:02 am

dvpro wrote:I believe the setting to "Hide protected operating system files" needs to be unchecked as well.

Yes. Bro dvpro, u r true.
Regards,
Chee Loong (Nuvi 1350)

pohkf

Postby pohkf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:47 pm

dvpro wrote:
chee_loong wrote:If you enable folder like below screen shot. You should able to see .System hidden folder.

I believe the setting to "Hide protected operating system files" needs to be unchecked as well.

Yes, after I unchecked d "Hide protected operating system files" now i can see the ".system" folder.

Thanks again for support!! =D>

Didjerama

Postby Didjerama » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:07 am

thanks guys for the awesome map!!!!!!!! the steps are so clear and the instructions are easy to follow.

much better than another *ahem* forum i tried.

love the detailed icons on the maps like the HDB icons and the various useful icons.

:rox:

anyway, where can i go to make a small donation for these efforts for the upkeep running of the website?

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:37 am

Didjerama wrote:thanks guys for the awesome map!!!!!!!! the steps are so clear and the instructions are easy to follow.

much better than another *ahem* forum i tried.

love the detailed icons on the maps like the HDB icons and the various useful icons.

:rox:

anyway, where can i go to make a small donation for these efforts for the upkeep running of the website?

What you can help for this forum is contribute as much track and poi as possible.... :welcome: to MFM, bro!

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:21 am

Didjerama wrote:... anyway, where can i go to make a small donation for these efforts for the upkeep running of the website?
You might want to view this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=470&p=111153#p111153
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

feiru

Postby feiru » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi! I have a Nuvi 205w, and been using it and playing with it without any issue. Today, my neighbour passed me her Nuvi 1350 to help her update her map. I did the same like how I did with 205w. But when I got in, I realized in the directory F:/Garmin has only 1 file, not ending with img (can't remember what file it is). I didn't read this first, and thought they would be the same like my 205w, so I just placed the gmapsupp.img into this directory. After which, I disconnected, and opened the Garmin, map remained not updated.

So I tried to reconnect to see what's wrong... now I have BIG PROBLEM. I can't connect to the device already.

It just wouldn't show up in my computer list. I tried to use a different machine, still the same. It just turned on just like usual, i.e. not connected to computer.

Did I do anything wrong that caused this? How can I remedy this? Can any of you help me please? I don't want to damage my neighbor's Garmin... :(

skyball

Postby skyball » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:17 pm

Dear Sifus

I just bought Nuvi LM 50

Need a few answers

1. I couldnt seem to find the address on my GPS despite having updated the map section using the steps provided in the FREE DOWNLOAD FOR MSIA AND SPORE MAPS. I seem to have a lot of *.img files in the map section. Is that normal?
2. I have 2 POI folders i.e. e:/Garmin/POI and e:/POI. Will my GPS utilize both POI or only use the c:/Garmin/POI

I have used Way Way Papago last week itself before going back to Garmin this week since I was trying it out. Papago seem to be able to find the GPS location of my home using the address I typed but Garmin on the other hand, couldn't. ( this is related to question number 1 )

Need all your superior intellect and help Sifus

SZaid

Postby SZaid » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Thanks sifus for all the info and step-by-step instructions.
Bought a Nuvi 1350 last year that came with preloaded maps and unlock from Garmin website. Dare not touch it in case accidentally erase anything. For routing I still goes back to laptop with Mapsource and latest MFM map.
Anyway just now put in microSD to install updated map and startup screen in Nuvi. Like others before, when open F: drive cannot see any .img file. When I enable hidden and system file, then can see .img but no gmapsupp.img.
Nothing in F:/Garmin/

After reading all postings in this thread then backup all files in Nuvi device to laptop before installing latest 120326 MFM map. Works fine. Will write about this in the download thread.
Once again, thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SZaid

Postby SZaid » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:23 am

So after installing the latest map, browse the devise folder again to see what's on it.

The device F:/Garmin/ only has "GarminDevice.xml doc
2012-03-29_001038.jpg

As I installed in SD card, G:/Garmin/ has gmapsupp.img
2012-03-29_001111.jpg

On Nuvi device, I can now see the latest MFM120326 map. But wondering why there's 2 of it? :-?
2012-03-29_002109.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Newbie Lounge”