Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
ifse

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby ifse » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:22 am

dvpro wrote:When using "SLA/post code", it's using SLA portion of SLA/MFM v1.62, while MFM v1.62 is ignored.

Sorry to be a pest again :), but what is in the SLA portion of SLA/MFM v1.62, as opposed to the rest of it? Is the "base map" included in the SLA portion, or only the post code?

In other words, if SLA is coupled with MFM v1.63, will anything change, or will it be the same since the non-SLA portion is already same as rev 1.63?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:34 am

ifse wrote:Sorry to be a pest again :), but what is in the SLA portion of SLA/MFM v1.62, as opposed to the rest of it? Is the "base map" included in the SLA portion, or only the post code?

In other words, if SLA is coupled with MFM v1.63, will anything change, or will it be the same since the non-SLA portion is already same as rev 1.63?

Current free SLA/MFM v1.62 map is the combination of these maps:
1. SLA Singapore addresses & postal codes.
2. MFM v1.62 map c/w Malaysia & Singapore addresses.

If you have both SLA/MFM v1.62 and MFM v1.63 in Nuvi, the effect will be similar to having:
1. SLA Singapore addresses & postal codes.
2. MFM v1.63 map c/w Malaysia & Singapore addresses.

p/s I hope the above answers your rather confusing questions. :ko:
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

ifse

Postby ifse » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:29 am

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate your patience with my many questions.

AW*
Valued Contributor

Postby AW* » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:31 pm

dvpro wrote:...
Sorry, the only way to revert is if you have backed up GPX folder as per Garmin's advice. You must've done something wrong when performing the back up. And it's also a good idea verifying the backed up GPX before performing the update. You can do so by opening GPX in Mapsource.

hi bro

i managed to overcome my problem and would like to share here. first of all i'm not sure what went wrong where but i did the following and i didn't have any problem with my fav folder anymore

1. i reinstated all files and folders in my nuvi to the date before the problematic firmware update.
2. i also reinstated the extension of several files which i had previouly changed back to its original, namely the extension for gmapprom.img, gmapprom1.img, and some *.gpi files preloaded by garmin into the GPX folder.
3. (of course i backup religiously at this point)
4. try firmware update again
5. and voila, all problems i had before (about my fav waypoints dissapearing with only traffic pois there) went away. fav waypoints back where they belonged (in favourite folder) and traffic POIs where they belong. no problem with anything else.
6 of course, backup again after firmware updating.

i'm glad i followed the advice of seniors here to backup and backup and backup...one can't be too careful.

:tq: for your patience and help. :good:
:rox:
" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi
" In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place." - Mahatma Ghandi

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

kchow24
Location: Shah Alam. Garmin nuvi200W(sold), nuvi710, nuvi765 & GPSmap 60CSx, Garmin-Asus G60, Zumo550

Postby kchow24 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:49 pm

Dear all sifu,

Need some understand of the file format for mapsourse. After downloaded from the website and not sure what map was it, trying to open it in Mapsourse but failed.
So how to read or view .img file in Mapsourse...? Wondering anyway to find out..
Thanks
Regards,
kchow24

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:02 pm

kchow24 wrote:Dear all sifu,

Need some understand of the file format for mapsourse. After downloaded from the website and not sure what map was it, trying to open it in Mapsourse but failed.
So how to read or view .img file in Mapsourse...? Wondering anyway to find out..
Thanks

A couple of ways

Download the free version of cgpsmapper from http://www.cgpsmapper.com/, to break maptiles that can install into Mapsource but you lose the search capabilities

Download the M3 (Mapsource Mapsets Manager). Look for it at http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... p?p=63#p63. M3 will allow you to install your *.img to Mapsource to view

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:06 pm

kchow24 wrote:Dear all sifu,

Thanks

Alternatively, you might want to try this method: viewtopic.php?p=41977#p41977

dominatorFD09

Postby dominatorFD09 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:37 am

Hi,

I tried to seach pahang under Malaysia> Spell City but there is no result found.
Does that mean the pahang map not installed in my nuvi? I'm using MFM1.64 version + SLA maps

Anyone can advise me? Thanks

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:52 am

dominatorFD09 wrote:Hi,

I tried to seach pahang under Malaysia> Spell City but there is no result found.
Does that mean the pahang map not installed in my nuvi? I'm using MFM1.64 version + SLA maps

When using Where to? > Cities > Spell, you need to specify the city you need to find, ie. Kuantan, Temerloh, etc. (BTW, Pahang is a state, not considered as city).

ccpling
Valued Contributor

Postby ccpling » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:34 pm

dvpro wrote:
dominatorFD09 wrote:Hi,

When using Where to? > Cities > Spell, you need to specify the city you need to find, ie. Kuantan, Temerloh, etc. (BTW, Pahang is a state, not considered as city).

Not sure if you are hitting this issue?

Garmin-SLA Map Issues
Written by EastGear
Friday, 03 July 2009 08:44

It has been noted that there are issues with address search for Malaysia in 1.62 and later releases of the Garmin-SLA map incorporating Malfreemaps.com.

Hence we suggest that users revert back to 1.61 if the rest of the versions are not suitable.

Kindly login to get the file 1.61 file.
Last Updated on Friday, 03 July 2009 20:46
http://www.eastgear.com/garmin/

Return to “Newbie Lounge”