Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
User avatar
silverbeauty
Moderator
Posts: 3518
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby silverbeauty » Tue May 04, 2010 7:33 am

mystvearn wrote:What are these files:

GarminDevice
GarminDevice.tmp

I found these files in Garmin folder and not root folder. I also made another folder "UK" and there are the same files there. Could I delete one set of these files?

Thanks.



GarminDevice.xxx - stores information about your Nuvi to facilitate transfer of data to/from your Nuvi. Leave this file alone.

mystvearn
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby mystvearn » Tue May 04, 2010 7:39 am

I made another folder in that "Garmin" folder and copied all the contents with the garmindevice in it before uploading mfm. I see that after uploading mfm, I have new copies of the garmindevice and garmindevice.tmp in the Garmin folder. I followed your instructions to remove one map, which worked, but I still have 2 mfm in the maps menu. I know there is only one img file on it. I am not sure if this is just a case of duplicated entry but same data?

User avatar
silverbeauty
Moderator
Posts: 3518
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby silverbeauty » Tue May 04, 2010 9:33 am

mystvearn wrote:I made another folder in that "Garmin" folder and copied all the contents with the garmindevice in it before uploading mfm. I see that after uploading mfm, I have new copies of the garmindevice and garmindevice.tmp in the Garmin folder. I followed your instructions to remove one map, which worked, but I still have 2 mfm in the maps menu. I know there is only one img file on it. I am not sure if this is just a case of duplicated entry but same data?



Remove that new folder from Nuvi into your Lappy / Computer desktop and try. It looks like you still have 2 maps residing in your Nuvi, be it in Main Memory or SD card.

mystvearn
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby mystvearn » Tue May 04, 2010 5:31 pm

Did that, still shows 2 mfm maps in the settings. I have checked all the files, could not find any more img aside from the 1 mfm and 1 uk map, thats it. Maybe I should just leave it that way?

User avatar
pohkf
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:18 am
Location: Kuala Terengganu

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby pohkf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:31 am

Dear all sifu.

I just get my Nuvi 1350 last week 08/08/10.

Few questions about it :-

1. Where should I copy the "POI" folder into my device?

2. Where I can find the oringinal map in my device. becouse i can't find it garmin folder.

3. Do MFM will do the Junction View Map in future?

Attached a print screen file for all sifu

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pohkf on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chee_loong
Contributor
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Bidor/Ipoh/Puchong (nuvi 1350)

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby chee_loong » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:36 am

pohkf wrote:Dear all sifu.

I just get my Nuvi 1350 last week 08/08/10.

Few questions about it :-

1. Where should I copy the "POI" folder into my device?
You can create a folder name POI and copy all gpi file there.

2. Where I can find the oringinal map in my device. becouse i can't find it garmin folder.
2 location. Either .System folder or map folder. .System folder is hidden folder. You need to enable hidden system folder view in your computer.

3. Do MFM will do the Junction View Map in future?
Need sifu to help this question.

Attached a print screen file for all sifu

Thanks in advance
Regards,
Chee Loong (Nuvi 1350)

User avatar
pohkf
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:18 am
Location: Kuala Terengganu

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby pohkf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:54 pm

Dear Chee Loong,

Thanks for your quick reply.

1. You means i have to create a "POI" folder at root device.

2. I had enable the "show hidden files and folders" but yet still can't find the system folder or map folder. For your info in device is 1.09GB after I copy out to PC just 171MB.

Attached a print screen after I enable the "show hidden files and folders".
In this screen you can see I have create a "POI" folder and 1 hidden file call ".VolumeIcon.icns"

Thanks again.

Poh


chee_loong wrote:
pohkf wrote:Dear all sifu.

I just get my Nuvi 1350 last week 08/08/10.

Few questions about it :-

1. Where should I copy the "POI" folder into my device?
You can create a folder name POI and copy all gpi file there.

2. Where I can find the oringinal map in my device. becouse i can't find it garmin folder.
2 location. Either .System folder or map folder. .System folder is hidden folder. You need to enable hidden system folder view in your computer.

3. Do MFM will do the Junction View Map in future?
Need sifu to help this question.

Attached a print screen file for all sifu

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
dvpro
Moderator
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:09 am
Location: KUL, MY (Handheld, PDA Based)

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby dvpro » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:08 pm

pohkf wrote:2. I had enable the "show hidden files and folders" but yet still can't find the system folder or map folder.

Just enter H:\.System at Windows Explorer's address bar.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

User avatar
pohkf
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:18 am
Location: Kuala Terengganu

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby pohkf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:49 pm

dvpro wrote:
pohkf wrote:2. I had enable the "show hidden files and folders" but yet still can't find the system folder or map folder.

Just enter H:\.System at Windows Explorer's address bar.



It's working. Thanks a lot!! :thumbsup:

User avatar
chee_loong
Contributor
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Bidor/Ipoh/Puchong (nuvi 1350)

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby chee_loong » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi pohkf,

If you enable folder like below screen shot. You should able to see .System hidden folder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Chee Loong (Nuvi 1350)


Return to “Newbie Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests