Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby antyong (retired) » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:23 pm

• Diag folder - used by Garmin
  • ExtData folder - used by Garmin
  • GPX folder - stores your trip log. You can open the GPX files within this folder with Mapsource
  • Help folder - stores help files in different languages
  • JCV folder - stores Junction View files on models which support such feature
  • JPEG folder - stores Nuvi's default pictures and splash screens. You can add more jpg files into this folder
  • POI folder - stores custom POI and travel guide files. These files are with .GPI extensions. It is ok to delete these files if you are sure you don't want them
  • RemoteSW folder - used by Garmin
  • scrn folder - stores your screen capture images. The files are in bitmap (BMP) format and could be opened with Window's Paint application
  • Text folder - stores default and custom messages and keyboard layouts. These are text files with .GTT extensions. You can edit them with a text editor. More info
  • Vehicle folder - stores Garmin vehicle icons. Files are with .SRF extension. You can add and delete these files. More info
  • Voice folder - stores Garmin voice guidance files. Files are with .VPM extension. You can delete unused voice files but do so with care. More info
  • GarminDevice.xml - stores information about your Nuvi to facilitate tranfer of data to/from your Nuvi. Leave this file alone.
  • gmapbmap.img - Garmin base map (worldwide map)
  • gmapprom.img - Garmin pre-programmed (preloaded) map. Back up this file before deleting or overwriting it.
  • gmapprom1.img - Garmin pre-programmed (preloaded) map. Back up this file before deleting or overwriting it.
  • gmapsupp.img - This is the common file name for Garmin maps including those from MFM.
  • gmapsupp.unl - Unlock code file for Garmin supplementary map.
  • gmaptz.img - Garmin time zone map. Leave this file alone.
  • GUPDATE.GCD - Used for Garmin firmware update. Leave this file alone.
  • Locales.xml - stores default language, currency sign, time zone, etc settings for different countries. Leave this file alone.

mapmaps2009

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby mapmaps2009 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:43 pm

[*]gmapsupp.img - This is the common file name for Garmin maps including those from MFM.
[*]gmapsupp.unl - Unlock code file for Garmin supplementary map.

dear master, my 255w(bought 2nd hand last yr) came pre-installed w/ SG-R 3.74D JOH-R v2.66 main memory. i'm thinking of putting in the latest mfm map into the main memory(as it's more details). is it save to over-write this pre-installed map(ie. can my 255w function w/o it)? cos currently, i'd loaded the new mfm map in SDcard & access via this SD card. thanks :)

tlchuan
Polygon Mapper
Location: Subang Jaya (x10 & Oregon 300)Garmin 255w sgmy, 2575RLM, Wayway 5035

Postby tlchuan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:57 pm

:good: :tq: for the info

ajay

Postby ajay » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:53 pm

mapmaps2009 wrote:[*]gmapsupp.img - This is the common file name for Garmin maps including those from MFM.

dear master, my 255w(bought 2nd hand last yr) came pre-installed w/ SG-R 3.74D JOH-R v2.66 main memory. i'm thinking of putting in the latest mfm map into the main memory(as it's more details). is it save to over-write this pre-installed map(ie. can my 255w function w/o it)? cos currently, i'd loaded the new mfm map in SDcard & access via this SD card. thanks :)
u can. better backup the files first before u overwrite 'em
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

joechong

Postby joechong » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:32 am

All,

Just for my Nuvi 760 US version today. It has the North America maps loaded into its internal memory, and has all the folders mentioned in this topic guide.

Question,
1.I'd like to keep the US map in the internal memory, but would like to load MFM maps into the Garmin device. I'm thinking of putting the MFM maps into the SD card (8GB). Is this a recommended procedure?
2. How do all the sifus here with Garmin Nuvi organize their files in the device? Do you use the internal memory or the SD card to store the maps? Which one is better?
3. Is it possible to move all the data (*.*) from internal memory to the SD card, and purely run the Garmin from the SD card?

Thanks for the advice.
Garmin Mobile XT 5.0.50 on Nokia N97 with MFM Lite
Garmin Mobile XT 4.18.0 on Nokia N95 with MFM Lite
Garmin Nuvi 760 US Ver with MFM

tlchuan
Polygon Mapper
Location: Subang Jaya (x10 & Oregon 300)Garmin 255w sgmy, 2575RLM, Wayway 5035

Postby tlchuan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:38 am

norwadi

Postby norwadi » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:10 pm

joechong wrote:All,

Just for my Nuvi 760 US version today. It has the North America maps loaded into its internal memory, and has all the folders mentioned in this topic guide.

Question,
1.I'd like to keep the US map in the internal memory, but would like to load MFM maps into the Garmin device. I'm thinking of putting the MFM maps into the SD card (8GB). Is this a recommended procedure?
Yes.
2. How do all the sifus here with Garmin Nuvi organize their files in the device? Do you use the internal memory or the SD card to store the maps? Which one is better?
SD is better to reduce wear and tear on internal memory.
3. Is it possible to move all the data (*.*) from internal memory to the SD card, and purely run the Garmin from the SD card?
No. Only user's files (map, custom POI, music, pix, etc).

Thanks for the advice.

joedoss

Postby joedoss » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:43 pm

antyong wrote:Image

• Diag folder - used by Garmin
  • ExtData folder - used by Garmin
  • GPX folder - stores your trip log. You can open the GPX files within this folder with Mapsource
  • Help folder - stores help files in different languages
  • JCV folder - stores Junction View files on models which support such feature
  • JPEG folder - stores Nuvi's default pictures and splash screens. You can add more jpg files into this folder
  • POI folder - stores custom POI and travel guide files. These files are with .GPI extensions. It is ok to delete these files if you are sure you don't want them
  • RemoteSW folder - used by Garmin
  • scrn folder - stores your screen capture images. The files are in bitmap (BMP) format and could be opened with Window's Paint application
  • Text folder - stores default and custom messages and keyboard layouts. These are text files with .GTT extensions. You can edit them with a text editor. More info
  • Vehicle folder - stores Garmin vehicle icons. Files are with .SRF extension. You can add and delete these files. More info
  • Voice folder - stores Garmin voice guidance files. Files are with .VPM extension. You can delete unused voice files but do so with care. More info
  • GarminDevice.xml - stores information about your Nuvi to facilitate tranfer of data to/from your Nuvi. Leave this file alone.
  • gmapbmap.img - Garmin base map (worldwide map)
  • gmapprom.img - Garmin pre-programmed (preloaded) map. Back up this file before deleting or overwriting it.
  • gmapprom1.img - Garmin pre-programmed (preloaded) map. Back up this file before deleting or overwriting it.
  • gmapsupp.img - This is the common file name for Garmin maps including those from MFM.
  • gmapsupp.unl - Unlock code file for Garmin supplementary map.
  • gmaptz.img - Garmin time zone map. Leave this file alone.
  • GUPDATE.GCD - Used for Garmin firmware update. Leave this file alone.
  • Locales.xml - stores default language, currency sign, time zone, etc settings for different countries. Leave this file alone.

Does the Nuvi250 have a different setup as I can't find the "gmaptz.img" although I have the time zone when I view it through my nuvi....... :-?
Nuvi 250 (1-sec tracking enabled)

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:02 pm

mapmaps2009 wrote:[*]gmapsupp.img - This is the common file name for Garmin maps including those from MFM.

Yes you can, But always back up original file in case you need to revert back to it.

Mito

Postby Mito » Mon May 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Dear El-seniors,

I accidentally deleted the gmapsupp.unl file.

What is the main purpose of this file? Can anyone guide me to re-generate or restore it? I'm worried & I'm lost... ](*,)
Warm regards,
Mito

Return to “Newbie Lounge”