Tips for first time Nuvi users

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Tips for first time Nuvi users

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:21 pm

junan1975 wrote:im using nuvi 1200. i can use the malaysia map, but i can see the POI logo, likes PETRONAS, MAYBANK, etc..pls help thxs

Hi bro juan1975, you do not want to see the POI logo :-? :ko:

doraemon
Polygon Mapper

Postby doraemon » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:33 am

citra wrote:I bought it yesterday at Pg PCFair. I also encountered this problem :ko: You need to set your windows explorer to unhide all system folder, then you can see the folder .System. All preinstalled maps are inside this folder. :)

From the booth that says they are the Garmin dealer?

I notice the fat boss very lansi. I ask him to quote for repair of nuvi, he sounds very lansi like only he knows how to get the faulty device repaired. He gave me a very bad first impression. Like Garmin owns by his father like that. Take it or leave it. I don't see any chance he will service you when you have any problems. Keep telling me go refer the garmin website during their introduction of maps. :tease:

allen4178

Postby allen4178 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:48 am

Dear zamad,
Can i-go Map co-exist with MFM map? This is in relation to your answer saying MFM map cannot co-exist with MSM map...( quite an old posting...)

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:15 am

... MFM map cannot co-exist with MSM map..
They can't co-exist without tweaking.

i-Go, Papago and Garmin maps are different and need their own software to read these maps. Even if you have i-Go map in your PND, they could not be read by either Papago or Garmin. Currently mfm only supports Garmin and Papago. Hope this clarifies matters.

Happy New Year.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

Winning11

Postby Winning11 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:58 am

garmin nuvi 1350 user reporting in
my device : Garmin Nuvi 1350

JT123

Postby JT123 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:05 am

Hi All,
You have a wonderful forum here.

I am not new to GPS but new to Nuvi. My main usage of the GPS is for off road purposes. I use the chartplotter model for places where no roads exist.

Anyway, I recently bought the Nuvi 1390T with a 8Gb micro SD card. I am now learning more about softwares from your site. There is a wealth of information here. Thanks. My unit comes with the N European maps (which I have updated with Garmin) and I have loaded other maps in the internal memory & loaded the N American data in the SD card.

I have 2 questions;

I am trying to back up the gmapprom.img file but I am unable to find it anywhere in the memory. I found both the gmapsupp.img files in the Garmin folder of the unit & the SD card. I back those up already. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I am also trying to compile a multi country mapset set using Gmap tools once I get all the maps that I want. I will make a large gmapsupp.img file for the SD card. I am not too bothered with loading & reloading maps whenever I travel. I will perhaps update only once or twice a year. Is this wise? Will this cause the unit slow down due to the large data library.

Looking forward to some answers.

Cheers.

pathfinder6s

Postby pathfinder6s » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:55 pm

Dear all,

I have being using my Garmin nuvi 200W for about 2 years and I updated my map once from the Garmin shop. Cost me RM60 per udate. Sincerley I found not much of changes after my update. Recently I found out from a friend of mine that we can update our Garmin map here. Could I have some guide line on how to update the most recent map into our device?

Thank you in advance.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:02 pm

pathfinder6s wrote:Dear all,

I have being using my Garmin nuvi 200W for about 2 years and I updated my map once from the Garmin shop. Cost me RM60 per udate. Sincerley I found not much of changes after my update. Recently I found out from a friend of mine that we can update our Garmin map here. Could I have some guide line on how to update the most recent map into our device?

Thank you in advance.

Please try our MFM-Garmin Installation Guide

orionmystery

Postby orionmystery » Tue May 11, 2010 9:50 pm

Really wonderful forum and many great Stickies with great infos. Thanks for the great work! I really mean it.

kumin

Postby kumin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:18 pm

pls help help me how to unlock ........it already 5 days to break in mapsource but fail....

Return to “Newbie Lounge”