Tips for first time Nuvi users

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Tips for first time Nuvi users

Postby antyong (retired) » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:06 pm

Image --> Image
At Nuvi's main menu, press and hold the GPS signal indicator for about 4 seconds. Your Nuvi will display the signal status page. You need 4 satellite fixes to start navigation. If the GPS signal indicator shows a cross, it means you are in simulation mode (Nuvi is not accepting GPS signals)

Image --> Image
At Nuvi's main menu, press and hold the battery indicator for about 10 seconds. You will activate the diagnostic screen where you can check if there is any malfunction.

Image --> Image
When at the map screen, tapping on the vehicle icon will bring you to the Where Am I? screen where you have easy access to the nearest hospitals, police stations and gas stations. You can also save your current location as a favorite on this screen.

Image --> Image
When at the map screen, tapping anywhere else on the map will bring you to the Browse Map screen where you can either save your current location, set your new location to simulate routing (you have to turn on simulator mode), or select a new destination to go to.

Image --> Image
Tapping the speed panel will open the trip statistics panel.

Image --> Image
If you are navigating towards a destination, tapping the green bar on the top will open the turn-by-turn guidance screen. On this screen, you can either view each turn junction or view the overall trip map.

Anywhere within your Nuvi menu options, holding the back button for a while will bring you back to the main menu.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Guide for first time Nuvi user

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:32 pm

Interpretation + illustration on the Garmin Satellite Status Page Contents

This is with reference to my Nuvi 660. There are differences in the layout between other Garmin models

- Top green bar of screen shows the current accuracy the Nuvi. It is now reporting an accuracy to within 11M.

- Bars on the right corner of screen is the respective satellite vehicle numbers and their signal strength.
* Hollow bar indicate that your GPS starts to receive data from a respective satellite vehicle.
* Solid bar indicates that the "ephemeris" data can be used to give a "pseudorange" to calculate a position

- The left corner of screen shows the constellation of satellite's that your nuvi is seeing in the sky.

- Solid green icons with numbers are the satellites that the nuvi is locked onto

- Solid gray icons are the satellites that the nuvi can see but can't lock on to

- Flashing icons ( grey/green ) are ones that the nuvi is attempting to lock on to

- Gray / Green cons shown represents the satellite vehicle position in the sky with respect to your present location

- Small round icon with the red center is the direction of your vehicle facing / travelling

- Sun (yellow star burst ) icon is the position of the sun with respect to your present location

- Moon ( blue crescent ) icon is the position of the moon with respect to your present location

- The outer ring represents the horizon, while the inner ring represents an overhead view of the sky at 45 degrees from the vertical

- Numbers in the top left of satellite constellation box is your current speed (0.0 if your stationary)

- Numbers in the top right of satellite constellation box is your current elevation

- Numbers in the bottom left are your current location (Latitude and Longitude)

2uk3y

Re: Tips for first time Nuvi user

Postby 2uk3y » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:48 pm

bro antyong missing 1 tips, the satellite view when press long left signal bar .....

and also press the "how many" KM to turn, u will get not sure what view is that heheheh....

btw.... :good: :peace:

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Postby johnTan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:28 pm

:good:

Just came back from shopping
first time nuvi user => my 4 yrs old son
he asked me that "Dad, why the GPS only show our car, how about others ?" :ko:

Don't know how to explain,
just anyhow replied him that " Is because other Car NO GPS." :mrgreen:

ajay

Postby ajay » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:47 pm

10 sec?? no wonder i couldn't get to that page. i quit after 5 sec or so #-o
i didn't know about nos 2 & 4 either
:tq: =D>
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

fruitplus
Polygon Mapper

Postby fruitplus » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:14 pm

edchuang wrote:
johnTan wrote::good:

Just came back from shopping
first time nuvi user => my 4 yrs old son
he asked me that "Dad, why the GPS only show our car, how about others ?" :ko:

Don't know how to explain,
just anyhow replied him that " Is because other Car NO GPS." :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!!

Nowadays kids,they will ask so many clever questions to their parents or fmly..very pandai one now.. :thumbsup:
sometimes you got :ko: to answers them.
Past + Present = Future

SOSweet

Postby SOSweet » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:23 pm

Tks sifu antyong.
Now I know beside lead me to places, i can also press here press there to see/get some thing. :mrgreen:
Sorry hor, uncle blur blur. :mrgreen: :tease: :prayer:
:rox:
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercise & Good Deeds

mexec

Postby mexec » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:22 pm

hi..

curious about the new interface..is it really the new interface or different model came with different interface?..

btw im using nuvi760 and the interface doesn't look like the pics up there.. :-k

norwadi

Postby norwadi » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:08 pm

mexec wrote:hi..

curious about the new interface..is it really the new interface or different model came with different interface?..

btw im using nuvi760 and the interface doesn't look like the pics up there.. :-k

Don't worry. It's normal. Like you said, different model different interface.

sbanboy

Postby sbanboy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:28 pm

I just bought my Nuvi 255w and looking forward to learning from you guys ... thanks alot for the tips :)

Return to “Newbie Lounge”