Tips for first time Nuvi users

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
andyfriends

Re: Tips for first time Nuvi users

Postby andyfriends » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:50 pm

silverbeauty wrote:Go outside and get a satellite signal lock

yes the problem resolved as for the following:

1. do i need to set my "current" country? if so , where?
when i click address, it will ask in which the country is the address (as i have thailan, thaiwan, hk etc address.) so do i choose malaysia or malfreemaps.com address?

2. feeling papago software is more superior as when once a place is estb, we can always click POI whereas for garmin the POI is only limited for the place ur at. or just that i dont know how to use it?

3. also i saw the gmapsupp supplies by the web one says without polygons a.k.a Lite Version and one says with polygons - whats the diff?

4. once i have updated my latest map, do i still need to download the custom POI?

thanks

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:55 pm

andyfriends wrote:
silverbeauty wrote:Go outside and get a satellite signal lock

yes the problem resolved as for the following:

when i click address, it will ask in which the country is the address (as i have thailan, thaiwan, hk etc address.) so do i choose malaysia or malfreemaps.com address?
choose country where you want to search address

2. feeling papago software is more superior as when once a place is estb, we can always click POI whereas for garmin the POI is only limited for the place ur at. or just that i dont know how to use it?
Garmin searches POI to what map data is loaded, if you have Malaysia, it will only search Malaysia, if Malaysia Thailand, it will likewise search Malaysia Thailand for POI you defined in search

thanks

andyfriends

Postby andyfriends » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:14 pm

[quote="silverbeauty"][quote="andyfriends"][quote="silverbeauty"]

i know but it has 2 malaysia maps in my device one is called malaysia and another malfreemaps.com

so how do i know which one is the updated downloaded from malfree?

Garmin searches POI to what map data is loaded, if you have Malaysia, it will only search Malaysia, if Malaysia Thailand, it will likewise search Malaysia Thailand for POI you defined in search

in papago, say if my destination is kelana jaya then i can click poi nearby but in garmin this cannot be done rite?

what about the following 2 questions?

3. also i saw the gmapsupp supplies by the web one says without polygons a.k.a Lite Version and one says with polygons - whats the diff?

4. once i have updated my latest map, do i still need to download the custom POI?

thanks

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:27 pm

i know but it has 2 malaysia maps in my device one is called malaysia and another malfreemaps.com

so how do i know which one is the updated downloaded from malfree?

in papago, say if my destination is kelana jaya then i can click poi nearby but in garmin this cannot be done rite?

what about the following 2 questions?

3. also i saw the gmapsupp supplies by the web one says without polygons a.k.a Lite Version and one says with polygons - whats the diff? You only get roads and POIs on the Lite Version. The Full Version (with polygons) has polygons drawn for buildings, playing fields, golf courses, plantations, etc.

4. once i have updated my latest map, do i still need to download the custom POI? The CPOI files (.gpi) are supplementary files to the .img files. You do not have to download it if it has not been previously copied into your device.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

andyfriends

Postby andyfriends » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:29 pm

3. also i saw the gmapsupp supplies by the web one says without polygons a.k.a Lite Version and one says with polygons - whats the diff? You only get roads and POIs on the Lite Version. The Full Version (with polygons) has polygons drawn for buildings, playing fields, golf courses, plantations, etc.

how do i determine if my device works for the full version? i am running mobile xt

4. once i have updated my latest map, do i still need to download the custom POI? The CPOI files (.gpi) are supplementary files to the .img files. You do not have to download it if it has not been previously copied into your device.[/quote]

did u wrongly write this? You do not have to download it if it has not been previously copied into your device. should it be i have to download if it has not been previous copied?

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:42 pm

andyfriends wrote:3. also i saw the gmapsupp supplies by the web one says without polygons a.k.a Lite Version and one says with polygons - whats the diff? You only get roads and POIs on the Lite Version. The Full Version (with polygons) has polygons drawn for buildings, playing fields, golf courses, plantations, etc.

how do i determine if my device works for the full version? i am running mobile xt It should run on your GMXT. Whether the hardware can tahan the processing required to continually draw the polygons. If it cannot tahan, then more lag is noticed. That is why the Lite version was introduced.

4. once i have updated my latest map, do i still need to download the custom POI? The CPOI files (.gpi) are supplementary files to the .img files. You do not have to download it if it has not been previously copied into your device.

did u wrongly write this? You do not have to download it if it has not been previously copied into your device. should it be i have to download if it has not been previous copied? If you have previously downloaded it and copied it into your /POI folder, then you don't need to repeat this process everytime you update the mfm map, unless, there's an update of the CPOIs. :mrgreen:

The Melaka GG is just around the corner. I would suggest that you attend it and seek guidance from members and sifus there. It's a great experience too.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

redz

Postby redz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:47 am

i juz got myself a nuvu 1350. i simply luv it. one question though, where to find the pre-installed maps that came with the nuvi? i tried searching every folder but cant find any. i do can add maps and it is under newly-created MAP folder when i send the map to my nuvi. but i simply cant find the 2 pre-installed maps plus my basemap.

citra

Postby citra » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:56 am

I bought it yesterday at Pg PCFair. I also encountered this problem :ko: You need to set your windows explorer to unhide all system folder, then you can see the folder .System. All preinstalled maps are inside this folder. :)

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:27 pm

citra wrote:I bought it yesterday at Pg PCFair. I also encountered this problem :ko: You need to set your windows explorer to unhide all system folder, then you can see the folder .System. All preinstalled maps are inside this folder. :)

You bought "what" yesterday? :mrgreen:

citra

Postby citra » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:01 pm

oops :lol: forgot to mention that I bought Nuvi 1350 :)

Return to “Newbie Lounge”