cgpsmapper mfm with new gen garmin

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
Skylinestar
Valued Contributor

cgpsmapper mfm with new gen garmin

Postby Skylinestar » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:47 am

Is cgpsmapper MFM maps compatible with newer gen garmin units?
I've read that some have issues where POIs cannot be searched due to categories problem. One member even sold his 42LM and buy an older model.

I've been using my Nokia S60 garmin mobileXT for many years. cgpsmapper mfm is working fine on this slow & old but trusty garmin platform. I plan to upgrade to current, newer gen garmin model and use cgpsmapper mfm that is updated frequently, but fear about compatibility issue.

Please advise.

OngCC
Senior Mapper

Re: cgpsmapper mfm with new gen garmin

Postby OngCC » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:03 am

Please let me check with Garmin about their newer models, so far my 2575 still ok.
Upload your contribution to MFM drop box if you don't want others to take your contributed tracklogs or POIs.
http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11630

stephenabraham

Postby stephenabraham » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:45 am

Hi there (Skylinestar). I bought a new 42LM 2 months ago replacing my "older" Nuvi 1350. Read the below link of my posted message some time back for help.. then read the rest of the message below. I don't like the 42LM at all. Don't know if the more expensive models have this issue. the 52LM is just like a 42LM, so will probably be the same.

Read the message from "stephenabraham",
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3516&start=1360

Apparently the 42LM (i hated this), cannot search generically on all POI using the cgpsmapper map.. it needs to search base on specific categories such as "food", "entertainment" etc etc.. and if any certain POI is classified under "other", it cannot be search at all. I have tried and tried, and there is no way around it. Which means if the POI is listed as food category, you can locate it under searching specifically based on food. But if the POI is listed as a category that the 42LM does not have, there is no way to search for it. The 42LM does not have a POI category called "other", so, all those under those categories just cannot be found...
*refer to 001.jpg and 002.jpg

The Garmin Malfree NT map (downloaded from Garmin website) does not seem to have this issue. You can use this, but only updated quarterly.

**Extra note (if you really really want to use the CGPS Map)
There is however a very very bad work around (which I use in case I really need to search for POI), and you will need to have both the Garmin Malfree NT map (installed from Garmin web site), and also the Malfree CGPS map installed.
The Garmin Malfree NT map will use the gmapsupp.img file name
You will need to rename the Malfree CGPS to another name before you copy so you don't overwrite, for example use gmapsupp2.img
To search for a POI, configure your Nuvi to use the Garmin NT map. user "map", "map info". Search for the POI.
Then configure your Nuvi back to CGPS map, and then look up "recently found", it will be there, and you can route to that POI.

** If this is too much trouble, just use the Garmin malfree NT map. All 42LM should have free lifetime update from Garmin Malaysia/Singapore web site.

** If you need more clarification, just PM me...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:19 pm

stephenabraham wrote:Hi there (Skylinestar). I bought a new 42LM 2 months ago replacing my "older" Nuvi 1350. Read the below link of my posted message some time back for help.. then read the rest of the message below. I don't like the 42LM at all. Don't know if the more expensive models have this issue. the 52LM is just like a 42LM, so will probably be the same.

Read the message from "stephenabraham",
http://malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... start=1360

Apparently the 42LM (i hated this), cannot search generically on all POI using the cgpsmapper map.. it needs to search base on specific categories such as "food", "entertainment" etc etc.. and if any certain POI is classified under "other", it cannot be search at all. I have tried and tried, and there is no way around it. Which means if the POI is listed as food category, you can locate it under searching specifically based on food. But if the POI is listed as a category that the 42LM does not have, there is no way to search for it. The 42LM does not have a POI category called "other", so, all those under those categories just cannot be found...
*refer to 001.jpg and 002.jpg

The Garmin Malfree NT map (downloaded from Garmin website) does not seem to have this issue. You can use this, but only updated quarterly.

**Extra note (if you really really want to use the CGPS Map)
There is however a very very bad work around (which I use in case I really need to search for POI), and you will need to have both the Garmin Malfree NT map (installed from Garmin web site), and also the Malfree CGPS map installed.
The Garmin Malfree NT map will use the gmapsupp.img file name
You will need to rename the Malfree CGPS to another name before you copy so you don't overwrite, for example use gmapsupp2.img
To search for a POI, configure your Nuvi to use the Garmin NT map. user "map", "map info". Search for the POI.
Then configure your Nuvi back to CGPS map, and then look up "recently found", it will be there, and you can route to that POI.

** If this is too much trouble, just use the Garmin malfree NT map. All 42LM should have free lifetime update from Garmin Malaysia/Singapore web site.

** If you need more clarification, just PM me...

I do same thing by switching of Garmin NT map and CGS Mapper for Postal Code search.

Garmin NT has the more complete Postal Code while CGS Mapper has the more updated maps for navigation .. :mrgreen:

yapsf

Postby yapsf » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:14 pm

I am using 2567LM, and have both MFM NT & MFM cgs on my SD.

I notice that when I switch to the NT, the voice navigation is not present, but no issue with cgs.

Any gurus can share why is that so?

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:28 pm

yapsf wrote:I am using 2567LM, and have both MFM NT & MFM cgs on my SD.

I notice that when I switch to the NT, the voice navigation is not present, but no issue with cgs.

Any gurus can share why is that so?

Maybe the NT version corrupted :-k :-?

ahsiang888

Postby ahsiang888 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:18 am

I am using 52LM. But I don't see issue like stephenabraham.

Start from here:

After click where to:

After click POI:

Spell name, type "Tesco":

Tadaa.....:

One thing to note is I bought mine from US and I have updated the software using Garmin Express before start putting MFM maps in it and using it. :D

http://outdatedpenanguncle.blogspot.com/

Rona D'sara
Contributor

Postby Rona D'sara » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:36 am

ahsiang888 wrote:I am using 52LM. But I don't see issue like stephenabraham.

Start from here:

After click where to:

After click POI:

Spell name, type "Tesco":

Tadaa.....:

One thing to note is I bought mine from US and I have updated the software using Garmin Express before start putting MFM maps in it and using it. :D

Bro,

Can you teach me how to update the software mine is 52Lm with software version 2.40

OngCC
Senior Mapper

Postby OngCC » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:45 am

To search all POI in nuvi 42, please try to use the "Search" button instead of filter through the category.
Please feedback here if it is working for your nuvi 42.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Upload your contribution to MFM drop box if you don't want others to take your contributed tracklogs or POIs.
http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11630

Rona D'sara
Contributor

Postby Rona D'sara » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:22 am

OngCC wrote:To search all POI in nuvi 42, please try to use the "Search" button instead of filter through the category.
Please feedback here if it is working for your nuvi 42.

Bro Ong CC

It work for preloaded maps (CN SGMY NT 2014.20 - malfree), (CN SGMY NT 2014.10 - Malsing), and (CNSGMY NT 2014.20 - Here). But not MFM Garmin 140818 + MFM Poi 140818. Just type a word TESCO Nothing can be seen unless we select the categories.

I'm using 52LM

Return to “Newbie Lounge”