help for newbie with garmin nuvi 43LM

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
zilchzero

help for newbie with garmin nuvi 43LM

Postby zilchzero » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:53 pm

hello everyone, I'm new to using GPS and really have a tough time trying to add a map onto my newly bought nuvi 42lm.

I'll be heading to Adelaide and Melbourne soon and I have read that I can actually add free maps to my nuvi 42lm instead of having to do a GPS rental there. I have googled and read through the threads here saying I can download maps from http://www.osmaustralia.org/garmin.php and add onto a microSD card to be slot into the GPS for usage.

However after pouring through the net, I still have no idea how to add the map to my GPS. Really appreciate if there is any kind souls who can help me out or direct me somewhere for me to do this.

Thank you very much in advance :prayer: :prayer:

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: help for newbie with garmin nuvi 43LM

Postby silverbeauty » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:22 pm

zilchzero wrote:hello everyone, I'm new to using GPS and really have a tough time trying to add a map onto my newly bought nuvi 42lm.

I'll be heading to Adelaide and Melbourne soon and I have read that I can actually add free maps to my nuvi 42lm instead of having to do a GPS rental there. I have googled and read through the threads here saying I can download maps from http://www.osmaustralia.org/garmin.php and add onto a microSD card to be slot into the GPS for usage.

However after pouring through the net, I still have no idea how to add the map to my GPS. Really appreciate if there is any kind souls who can help me out or direct me somewhere for me to do this.

Thank you very much in advance :prayer: :prayer:

Go to http://www.osmaustralia.org/garmin.php

This link should take you to OSM Australia which has Garmin compatible maps divided into different states ie ...
Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, Northern Territory, Tasmania, Western Australia and South Australia

Determine where you want to go and the state where it is located in
Click on the download
A dialog box should pop up shortly
Click save as and direct the saving into your hard-drive location

Go buy a SD card and create a sub folder garmin
Rename the map file to gmapsupp.img
Put this map file into the SD card/garmin subfolder

Plug the SD card into your Nuvi
Power up.
The map should appear in tools - settings- myMaps
Tic the map box to enable the map

Enable simulation mode in your Nuvi
tools - settings - system - gps mode - select GPS off

Go to main menu - view map
Touch the screen and manually move your location to Australia
Zoom in to see more details of streets - POIs etc...

Enjoy the map

zilchzero

Re: help for newbie with garmin nuvi 42LM

Postby zilchzero » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:16 pm

Thank you, silverbeauty for your help! really appreciate it lots.

I've tried the steps that you have prescribed but it doesn't seem to help. For my case, I'll be travelling to Adelaide and Melbourne, that I believe I should download 2 map, Victoria and South Australia right? After doing some research, I saw that I can only load one map onto 1 SD card, so in my case, I'll need 2 cards?

Also,

Plug the SD card into your Nuvi
Power up.
The map should appear in tools - settings- myMaps
Tic the map box to enable the map

there is no mymaps option in my GPS unit, I supposed it should be under INFO. I have tried to go there as well but it doesn't seems to work. :ko:

Return to “Newbie Lounge”