What is SGMYMAL map?

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
ianchong48
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:05 am

What is SGMYMAL map?

Postby ianchong48 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Been asked to update maps on my sis's Nuvi 255W (localized) but am not familiar with 'localized' nuvis or how to update the offical Garmin maps with JV. My own nuvis (660, 760, 1490, 3590) are US & EU sets .... :ko:

Advice/directions needed and will really be appreciated. :-?

- where can updates for SGMYMAL (with JV) map be obtained? Is this the Garmin NT map?
- which directory in the 255W should the .img, .unl and the .jcv be placed in?

Thank you in advance.
_______________________
Nuvi 660 (EU), Nuvi 760 (US), Nuvi 1490LMT (US), Nuvi 2797LMT (US), Nuvi 3590LMT (US)

User avatar
zamad
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2310
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:50 am
Location: Shah Alam

Re: What is SGMYMAL map?

Postby zamad » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Maps for the 255W can befound here: Board index » Downloads » Free Public Downloads » Garmin (cGPSmapper). The most recent is the MFM-Garmin 130114.

Just extract, then place the gmapsupp.img file in the /Garmin folder, preferably in the SDcard. FYI, there are also no JCV or LA features that are currently supported by cGPSmapper compiled maps. Also, there are no unl files needed for these maps.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

ianchong48
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:05 am

Re: What is SGMYMAL map?

Postby ianchong48 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:24 pm

zamad wrote:Maps for the 255W can befound here: Board index » Downloads » Free Public Downloads » Garmin (cGPSmapper). The most recent is the MFM-Garmin 130114.

Just extract, then place the gmapsupp.img file in the /Garmin folder, preferably in the SDcard. FYI, there are also no JCV or LA features that are currently supported by cGPSmapper compiled maps. Also, there are no unl files needed for these maps.


Zamad:
Thank you for your input. I am familiar with the CGS maps which do not support JV. I am using these in my own US & EU Nuvis. However, I have never owned a 'localized' Nuvi before and am not conversant with the relevant JV and Lane Assist issues. I am also not clear on the official Garmin NT, MSM-Garmin and our own MFM-Garmin mapsets as regards their individual capabilities/limitations or differences.

I did try (..unsuccessfully..) to update the 255W with maps on Garmin SG's official website but I think I encountered some kind of issue re the 255W not having sufficient memory (???) to complete the process. So I still dont know exactly what the SGMAYMAL mapset (which I am quite sure has JV enabled) really is - Garmin's own or one of the two more updated JV enabled mapsets produced in conjunction with MalSingMaps and MalFreeMaps.??

So rather than 'guess' and in the process risk 'bricking' my sis's localized 255W, I am asking for much needed guidance over here.

Thanks much.
_______________________
Nuvi 660 (EU), Nuvi 760 (US), Nuvi 1490LMT (US), Nuvi 2797LMT (US), Nuvi 3590LMT (US)

colalite
Valued Contributor
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:01 pm
Location: SG (Nuvi 660)

Re: What is SGMYMAL map?

Postby colalite » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:18 pm

ianchong48 wrote:Been asked to update maps on my sis's Nuvi 255W (localized) but am not familiar with 'localized' nuvis or how to update the offical Garmin maps with JV. My own nuvis (660, 760, 1490, 3590) are US & EU sets .... :ko:

Advice/directions needed and will really be appreciated. :-?

- where can updates for SGMYMAL (with JV) map be obtained? Is this the Garmin NT map?
- which directory in the 255W should the .img, .unl and the .jcv be placed in?

Thank you in advance.

First of all, SGMYMAL is not a map, it is a file containing Junction Views. This file belongs to Malsingmaps and not Malfreemaps.

You will get this file SGMYMAL.JCV when you download, for example "Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2012.40" map from Garmin Singapore website. This file works ONLY with Malsingmaps (NT). There is no single update file of SGMYMAL.JCV for you to download.

SGMYMAL.JCV should reside in the folder of GARMIN/JCV in your GPS device.
The other files of .img and .unl should reside in the folder of GARMIN in your sd-card.

Please note that I do not own a 255W local set but I believe it should be the same as a 765 local set of which I own.

Hope the above is of some help.
Cheers. :mrgreen:

ianchong48
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:05 am

Re: What is SGMYMAL map?

Postby ianchong48 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 pm

colalite wrote:..... This file belongs to Malsingmaps and not Malfreemaps.

You will get this file SGMYMAL.JCV when you download, for example "Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2012.40" map from Garmin Singapore website. This file works ONLY with Malsingmaps (NT).

... SGMYMAL.JCV should reside in the folder of GARMIN/JCV in your GPS device.
The other files of .img and .unl should reside in the folder of GARMIN in your sd-card.
....


Hi colalite:

Muchos, muchos gracias..!! You've clarified exactly what I was so uncertain about. Whether that mapset (which includes SGMYMAL.jcv with the .img and the .unl files) is a Garmin product produced in collaboration with MFM or with MSM.?
So it's with MSM ... I get it..!!


However, I would like to explore the Garmin-MFM product as well. May I extend my original enquiry further :
What is the .jcv file named in the Garmin-MFM JV mapset..?? If it's name is different fm the MSM .jcv file (..and I almost sure it will be..) can I then install both the Garmin-MSM as well as the Garmin-MFM JV mapsets using different filename for the respective .img and the .unl files.??

I realise this will not fit into the small 255W memory. BUT I am now thinking that it is probably worthwhile actually buying a local (say 1XXX or 2XXX series) nuvi to take advantage of the increasingly rich JCV & LA content of the available official JCV & LA Garmin maps.

:peace: :tq:
_______________________
Nuvi 660 (EU), Nuvi 760 (US), Nuvi 1490LMT (US), Nuvi 2797LMT (US), Nuvi 3590LMT (US)

User avatar
silverbeauty
Moderator
Posts: 3525
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: What is SGMYMAL map?

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:45 am

ianchong48 wrote:
colalite wrote:..... This file belongs to Malsingmaps and not Malfreemaps.

You will get this file SGMYMAL.JCV when you download, for example "Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2012.40" map from Garmin Singapore website. This file works ONLY with Malsingmaps (NT).

... SGMYMAL.JCV should reside in the folder of GARMIN/JCV in your GPS device.
The other files of .img and .unl should reside in the folder of GARMIN in your sd-card.
....


Hi colalite:

Muchos, muchos gracias..!! You've clarified exactly what I was so uncertain about. Whether that mapset (which includes SGMYMAL.jcv with the .img and the .unl files) is a Garmin product produced in collaboration with MFM or with MSM.?
So it's with MSM ... I get it..!!


However, I would like to explore the Garmin-MFM product as well. May I extend my original enquiry further :
What is the .jcv file named in the Garmin-MFM JV mapset..?? If it's name is different fm the MSM .jcv file (..and I almost sure it will be..) can I then install both the Garmin-MSM as well as the Garmin-MFM JV mapsets using different filename for the respective .img and the .unl files.??

I realise this will not fit into the small 255W memory. BUT I am now thinking that it is probably worthwhile actually buying a local (say 1XXX or 2XXX series) nuvi to take advantage of the increasingly rich JCV & LA content of the available official JCV & LA Garmin maps.

:peace: :tq:



Map Files and JCV files are a match pair by version by release by name :-'

colalite
Valued Contributor
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:01 pm
Location: SG (Nuvi 660)

Re: What is SGMYMAL map?

Postby colalite » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:41 pm

ianchong48 wrote:..........
However, I would like to explore the Garmin-MFM product as well. May I extend my original enquiry further :
What is the .jcv file named in the Garmin-MFM JV mapset..?? If it's name is different fm the MSM .jcv file (..and I almost sure it will be..) can I then install both the Garmin-MSM as well as the Garmin-MFM JV mapsets using different filename for the respective .img and the .unl files.??
............

The .jcv files will have different filenames for MFM and MSM. So, you can put both files in the GARMIN/JCV folder. However, you must not change their original filenames.
As for the .img file, you can have different filenames; one for MFM and another for MSM and both residing in the GARMIN folder of your sd-card. The respective .unl files must have the same filenames of their corresponding MFM and MSM .img maps.
Note that when you are using the maps in your device, you cannot tick both maps to use; this will end up with conflicts and a whole lot of mess. :mrgreen:

ianchong48
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:05 am

Re: What is SGMYMAL map?

Postby ianchong48 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi guys:
I understand. Appreciate you sharing your insight. I'm now gonna begin checking out Singapore-Malaysia JCV + LA capable Nuvis as an addition to my clutch of LMT-edition US & EU Nuvis. Right now gravitating towards a 2XXX but cannot help being very tempted to get a 3XXX unit - even though it's rather extravagant since I'm already using a US-spec 3590LMT with the trusty MFM CGS maps. I believe JCV/LA content in MFM maps is probably not yet as widespread as I would like but hopefully the pace of implementation will pick up.

Decisions .... decisions ....!! On with the fun.......
Thank you fellas,
=D>
Ian
_______________________
Nuvi 660 (EU), Nuvi 760 (US), Nuvi 1490LMT (US), Nuvi 2797LMT (US), Nuvi 3590LMT (US)


Return to “Newbie Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest