Proper way of moving maps to SD card

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
G K Lai

Proper way of moving maps to SD card

Postby G K Lai » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:43 am

Hi,

I need a guide to properly migrate all possible bits and bytes from the internal memory to MicroSD card as recommended by veterans here.

My device is nüvi 2565LM, it come preloaded with the following maps:
MFM 2012.10
MSM NT2012.10
CN SGM NT2011.40 ALL

Maybe let me first show you the structure of my device memory:

Internal memory:
[POI] folder was created by myself, all the rest were original files and folders from the device.

Inside the [map] folder (nüvi\map), I got this map (it's MFM map):

Inside [Garmin] folder (nüvi\Garmin), I only got an XML file named GarminDevice.xml, no maps here.

Inside [.System] hidden folder (nüvi\.System), I got these:

So now, can someone please guide me which files or maps I can move to SD card?
What kind of files and folders structure should I create on the SD card?
Did a search to learn more, then I came across this post: http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=34955#p34955 saying only "user files" can be move to SD card. But which files consider "user files"?

I'm not sure if I did it correctly, I place an additional MFM-Garmin 120618 map inside SDCARD\Garmin folder as shown below. All original files on internal memory were stay intact (not brave enough to touch them... yet)!

I read some people said must put my map inside [map] folder, but should I create SDCARD\Map or SDCARD\Garmin\Map structure? Any other files and folders are best moved to SD Card?

Another questions:
[1]
Since MFM-Garmin xxxxxx map does not have junction view, I must stick with Garmin NT2012.10 in order to have junction view back. Does that means, the weekly updated MFM-Garmin xxxxxx are useless to me? Maybe this weekly updated map have their advantage over the slow update NT2012.10? Which type of update usually added to the weekly map? Anything major?

[2]
I cannot see any single version of MFM map from this page: http://www.garmin.com.sg/mapupdate/
Is there any issue with Garmin/MFM collaboration? (I hope not!)

:tq: Many thanks in advance for your guide and tutor.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Proper way of moving maps to SD card

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:13 am

This requires a long detail reply something that can be shown more clearly with a personal tutor :-' .

Suggest you call for GG at a suitable venue ( preferably got free wifi ) where Penang seniors can coach you over a cup of kopi :mrgreen:

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:48 pm

G K Lai wrote:Hi,

I need a guide to properly migrate all possible bits and bytes from the internal memory to MicroSD card as recommended by veterans here.

My device is nüvi 2565LM, it come preloaded with the following maps:
MFM 2012.10
MSM NT2012.10
CN SGM NT2011.40 ALL

Some of my answers may be a repetition of what others have answered especially Bro Silverbeauty but it will be difficult for me to answer some and not others so I decided to answer all your questions in this post.

Here is a guide to the maps in your internal memory:

CN SGM NT2011.40 ALL = gmapprom.img = 85,680KB
MSM NT2012.10 = gmapprom1.img = I do not know the size as I do not have it installed.
MFM 2012.10 = gmapsupp.img = 53,276KB (in your \Map folder)

Maybe let me first show you the structure of my device memory:

Internal memory:
[POI] folder was created by myself, all the rest were original files and folders from the device.

Inside the [map] folder (nüvi\map), I got this map (it's MFM map):

Inside [Garmin] folder (nüvi\Garmin), I only got an XML file named GarminDevice.xml, no maps here.

Inside [.System] hidden folder (nüvi\.System), I got these:

So now, can someone please guide me which files or maps I can move to SD card?
What kind of files and folders structure should I create on the SD card?
Did a search to learn more, then I came across this post: http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=34955#p34955 saying only "user files" can be move to SD card. But which files consider "user files"?To play it very, very safe, I suggest you do not move the files from your internal memory to your SD card but copy them first to the root directory of your SD Card. Having copied them (only the .img files; the .sum files are irrelevant) to the SD card, you need to make the original files unreadable by the GPS but still leave them where they are as insurance. You can easily make maps in the internal memory unreadable by changing the extension i.e. renaming the .IMG to something else e.g. .OLD Please note that there are 2 .IMG files in your internal memory that still needs to be read so don't touch them. They are gmapbmap.img and gmaptz.img. They are your basemaps and time zone maps. They will usually not need to be updated so you can leave them where they are. I repeat, you should change the extension of only the 3 maps namely gmapprom.img, gmapprom1.img and gmapsupp.img

I'm not sure if I did it correctly, I place an additional MFM-Garmin 120618 map inside SDCARD\Garmin folder as shown below. All original files on internal memory were stay intact (not brave enough to touch them... yet)!You have done correctly but you need to rename this map file to something else before you load additional maps. My suggestion is MFM120618.img
Now that you have copied the maps to your SD card, the rest of these instructions involve only your SD card and not your internal memory. You should disconnect the GPS from your PC to be absolutely safe and manipulate the SD card through a card reader (for now and for the future as well). The next answer will tell you what folders to create in the SD card and what maps to go into which folders. Initially, you can copy the pre-loaded maps to the root directory of your SD card then as I said manipulate your SD card through a card reader and with your GPS disconected from your PC.

I read some people said must put my map inside [map] folder, but should I create SDCARD\Map or SDCARD\Garmin\Map structure? Any other files and folders are best moved to SD Card?

You should create 2 folders in your SD card:

SDCARD\Garmin\
&
SDCARD\Map\

SDCARD\Garmin\ should contain your primary map or map that you need to have JCV in which case the JCV files should be placed in a SDCARD\Garmin\JCV\ subfolder.

All your 3 preloaded maps have JCV. Just copy all files having the JCV extension to this subfolder if you are not sure which is linked to which. The JCV files in your main memory are found in the .\System\JCV folder.

The SDCARD\Garmin\ folder can contain only 1 map and it must be named gmapsupp.img. You can decide to put any of the 3 maps (I suggest the one that you want displayed with the JCV because the rest will not display their JCV) and make sure you move it to the SDCARD\Garmin\ folder first before renaming the file to gmapsupp.img.

For the others, you can store them in the SDCARD\Map\ folder but you must first rename your weekly MFM map from gmapsupp.img to perhaps MFMXXXXX.img. Then move the other 2 maps from the SD card root directory to the SDCARD\Map\ folder which does not have a limit on the number of maps but you have to give each map a unique.img name e.g. MFM2012_10.img or CN2011_40.img and MSM2012_10.img

DO ALL THE SUGGESTED MANIPULATIONS TO YOUR SD CARD USING A CARD READER (for now and for the future) and to be doubly safe that you do not delete or rename the wrong files, disconnect your GPS from your PC after having copied the .img files to your SD Card.

Another questions:
[1]
Since MFM-Garmin xxxxxx map does not have junction view, I must stick with Garmin NT2012.10 in order to have junction view back. Does that means, the weekly updated MFM-Garmin xxxxxx are useless to me? Maybe this weekly updated map have their advantage over the slow update NT2012.10? Which type of update usually added to the weekly map? Anything major?

[2]
I cannot see any single version of MFM map from this page: http://www.garmin.com.sg/mapupdate/
Is there any issue with Garmin/MFM collaboration? (I hope not!)

:tq: Many thanks in advance for your guide and tutor.
FINALLY, AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! You now have at least 4 maps in your SD card which can be used by your GPS BUT YOU CAN ONLY USE 1 OF THEM AT ANY ONE TIME. You can choose the one you like to use through Tools/Settings/MyMaps and check only the one you wish to use. All the other 3 must not be checked or else you may have very strange and unpredictable routings.

If my explanations are still not clear enough, then as Bro Silverbeauty suggested, call a GG. :)
Last edited by JasonLee on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lean not on your own understanding

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Bro JasonLee :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :good: :thumbsup:

Bro GKLai you better buy kopi for bro jasonlee :-'

G K Lai

Postby G K Lai » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:46 am

silverbeauty wrote:This requires a long detail reply something that can be shown more clearly with a personal tutor :-' .
Suggest you call for GG at a suitable venue ( preferably got free wifi ) where Penang seniors can coach you over a cup of kopi :mrgreen:
Sure no problem for the kopi or even beers.... just wonder if me the tiny speck of dust can successfully call up a GG? :lol:

JasonLee wrote:FINALLY, AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! You now have at least 4 maps in your SD card which can be used by your GPS BUT YOU CAN ONLY USE 1 OF THEM AT ANY ONE TIME. You can choose the one you like to use through Tools/Settings/MyMaps and check only the one you wish to use. All the other 3 must not be checked or else you may have very strange and unpredictable routings.
If my explanations are still not clear enough, then as Bro Silverbeauty suggested, call a GG. :)
Wow! :shock: A million thanks to bro JasonLee! :prayer:
Your guide are very detailed, I will print out on a paper tomorrow, then follow it step-by-step because switching windows to read and do might sometimes make things worse, hahaha! Really appreciates so much!
(sorry I trimmed the quoted post so that others' can read it easily!) :)

silverbeauty wrote:Bro JasonLee :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :good: :thumbsup:
Bro GKLai you better buy kopi for bro jasonlee :-'
Haha... if I have the pleasure to meet this real sifu, after all, good to see bro JasonLee also from Penang! :peace:
Maybe when I screwed things up, will buy bro JasonLee 2 kopi instead! :lol:

G K Lai

Postby G K Lai » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:26 am

Sorry for this long novel, any sifus if you're busy, can just ignore it...

On Saturday, this was my first time seriously testing out this Garmin's abilities.
I travel from Penang to Perak (Ipoh) with no problem.

When I was at Perak Tong Cave Temple, I want to go to Leaning Tower of Teluk Intan (4°1.544′N, 101°1.133′E), the route was fine initially, but have some problem after a while.

(I don't know how to get the exact route from my device, here I try on Google Maps which I think quite similar, if not exactly the same: http://goo.gl/maps/jKNP)

I think at 15. Continue onto A10, my device's map no longer update (not moving). I have to take out from car dock, shut it down and turn it back ON and continue the route. This happens so many times, the map move a little bit then stop. Later I noticed while the map isn't updating, my driving speed and distance-to-turn is still updating, even junction alert is working. Since I am new to this Garmin device, I'm not sure if it is the map or the device that was causing the problem?

Then later, I'm worry I will get lost to nowhere so I decided to switch to use MSM map, and surprisingly, it works!?!? I have to tolerate the ugly look of MSM map. Then I tried to use back MFM but playing around with the map detail (More -> Normal -> Less) but still the same. Later when I reach certain point (a small town or a "pekan"), the map works again! :-? Anyway, I reach the destination safely at last! :oops:

When the time I want to back to Penang, I'm not sure if the map give me the same route? But at some point, while I'm driving on the road, the device showing my car driving on the pink line, but the name of road showing "Unpaved Road". I don't know what it means, but I got a feeling this is not right. After a few "reboot" and change destination name from North South Expressway to Penang Bridge, I was asked to make a U-turn and continue with different route. On the last few road junctions, I have to decide not to trust the GPS but follow the road sign and was safely enter North South Expressway... :lol:

I don't know if:
    1) I'm new, thus still not familiar with how Garmin work
    2) MFM map not accurate at that area
    3) I'm not good in specifying the correct destination
    4) My Garmin device "hang" at that time
    5) The setting in the device were incorrect
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Another question 1, if I want to utilize North South Expressway to the max., should I set on my device's route to "Fastest" or "Shortest"? It was set at "Fastest" originally.

Another question 2, I noticed when I first switch ON my device at the shop, the setting page for me to choose which map to use, there all 3 maps were ticked and selected at the same time!

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:51 pm

G K Lai wrote:Sorry for this long novel, any sifus if you're busy, can just ignore it...

On Saturday, this was my first time seriously testing out this Garmin's abilities.
I travel from Penang to Perak (Ipoh) with no problem.

When I was at Perak Tong Cave Temple, I want to go to Leaning Tower of Teluk Intan (4°1.544′N, 101°1.133′E), the route was fine initially, but have some problem after a while.

(I don't know how to get the exact route from my device, here I try on Google Maps which I think quite similar, if not exactly the same: http://goo.gl/maps/jKNP)

I think at 15. Continue onto A10, my device's map no longer update (not moving). I have to take out from car dock, shut it down and turn it back ON and continue the route. This happens so many times, the map move a little bit then stop. Later I noticed while the map isn't updating, my driving speed and distance-to-turn is still updating, even junction alert is working. Since I am new to this Garmin device, I'm not sure if it is the map or the device that was causing the problem?

Then later, I'm worry I will get lost to nowhere so I decided to switch to use MSM map, and surprisingly, it works!?!? I have to tolerate the ugly look of MSM map. Then I tried to use back MFM but playing around with the map detail (More -> Normal -> Less) but still the same. Later when I reach certain point (a small town or a "pekan"), the map works again! :-? Anyway, I reach the destination safely at last! :oops:

When the time I want to back to Penang, I'm not sure if the map give me the same route? But at some point, while I'm driving on the road, the device showing my car driving on the pink line, but the name of road showing "Unpaved Road". I don't know what it means, but I got a feeling this is not right. After a few "reboot" and change destination name from North South Expressway to Penang Bridge, I was asked to make a U-turn and continue with different route. On the last few road junctions, I have to decide not to trust the GPS but follow the road sign and was safely enter North South Expressway... :lol:

I don't know if:
    1) I'm new, thus still not familiar with how Garmin work
    2) MFM map not accurate at that area
    3) I'm not good in specifying the correct destination
    4) My Garmin device "hang" at that time
    5) The setting in the device were incorrect
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Another question 1, if I want to utilize North South Expressway to the max., should I set on my device's route to "Fastest" or "Shortest"? It was set at "Fastest" originally.

Another question 2, I noticed when I first switch ON my device at the shop, the setting page for me to choose which map to use, there all 3 maps were ticked and selected at the same time!

Hi Bro G K Lai,

The experience you described is what I warned you about not having more than 1 map checked at any one time.

If you want to use the E1, then Faster Time should be the preferred routing mode. You also will need to check your avoidances. Should Tolled Roads be checked for avoidance then obviously the GPS will not route you on the E1.

Yes it is frustrating to find that out of the box, more than 1 map is checked. I have highlighted this before but the distributors do not seem to take heed. Understandably, most buyers will assume that this is correct and that our advice given is wrong. Of course from a marketing point of view, it is to their advantage to show their buyers that they are getting 3 maps. As the buyer will only switch on at the shop and not navigate with it, they will not find out the problem until they have paid for it and take it out on the road. Maybe the sellers themselves have never taken a unit on the road either.

If you have followed my earlier instructions and copied all the preloaded maps to your SD card, there are 2 things you can do to overcome the problem of more than 1 map being checked by default. But first try unchecking the other two then switching off and on again. If the unchecked remain unchecked when you switch on again then your problem is solved unless you forget and activate more than 1 map again or your problem is something else.

If upon switching on, if more than 1 map is checked again, you can do the following:

1. Back-up your SD card into your PC
2. Delete the 3 maps in your internal memory.
3. Delete the other 2 maps which you intended not to check from your SD card as well.

Then you will only have the chosen map available.

Calling a GG does not depend on how big the speck of dust is but on the incentive I think. :D Yes, I am from Penang and will be most happy to meet you and help if you still face problems.

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:45 pm

If there is Beer please include this old man.... :mrgreen:

I also face freezing problem in Ipoh with my 2575 using the MfM2012.10 map. I heard an updated version is coming soon... :D let's hope this is resolve... In the mean time.... use our weekly cGPSmappers compiled maps for a stress free navigation.

Cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

G K Lai

Postby G K Lai » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:30 am

JasonLee wrote:Hi Bro G K Lai,

The experience you described is what I warned you about not having more than 1 map checked at any one time.

If you want to use the E1, then Faster Time should be the preferred routing mode. You also will need to check your avoidances. Should Tolled Roads be checked for avoidance then obviously the GPS will not route you on the E1.

Yep! Noted, thanks! Luckily my device already set as you described above.

Yes it is frustrating to find that out of the box, more than 1 map is checked. I have highlighted this before but the distributors do not seem to take heed. Understandably, most buyers will assume that this is correct and that our advice given is wrong. Of course from a marketing point of view, it is to their advantage to show their buyers that they are getting 3 maps. As the buyer will only switch on at the shop and not navigate with it, they will not find out the problem until they have paid for it and take it out on the road. Maybe the sellers themselves have never taken a unit on the road either.
Yes I agreed, but anyway, before I bought the device, I already have some reading here, so I know it is advisable to choose only 1 map at a time. IU already un-select the rest. :mrgreen:

If you have followed my earlier instructions and copied all the preloaded maps to your SD card, there are 2 things you can do to overcome the problem of more than 1 map being checked by default. But first try unchecking the other two then switching off and on again. If the unchecked remain unchecked when you switch on again then your problem is solved unless you forget and activate more than 1 map again or your problem is something else.

If upon switching on, if more than 1 map is checked again, you can do the following:

1. Back-up your SD card into your PC
2. Delete the 3 maps in your internal memory.
3. Delete the other 2 maps which you intended not to check from your SD card as well.

Then you will only have the chosen map available.

Many thanks for your tips, but fortunately, I do not have problem selecting only 1 map on the device. :D

Calling a GG does not depend on how big the speck of dust is but on the incentive I think. :D Yes, I am from Penang and will be most happy to meet you and help if you still face problems.
Thank you so much for saying that, I am happy to meet up new friends even without facing any problem (of course I can't promise I will not ask a lot of questions regarding this MfM stuffs) :lol:

moeyhc wrote:If there is Beer please include this old man.... :mrgreen:
LOL! Then I will sure to call you out when a suitable place is found. Any suggestion for a place with kopi, beer and wi-fi? Where you guys usually held your GG in Penang? :D

I also face freezing problem in Ipoh with my 2575 using the MfM2012.10 map. I heard an updated version is coming soon... :D let's hope this is resolve... In the mean time.... use our weekly cGPSmappers compiled maps for a stress free navigation.
Yup! Wish we could see an update soon. I didn't mean cGPSmapper version not good, but no junction view make me lack confident when following it. I already made the wrong turn a few times even with junction view. :lol:

JasonLee
Regional Mapper

Postby JasonLee » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi Bro G K Lai,

Good that you do not have problem of more than 1 map checked by default on start-up but that is designed to happen. Each time you update a map, it will by default be checked so after each map update, you have to review MyMaps and uncheck the maps you don't intend to use.

The longer we have to wait for a GG, both Bro Moey and I will get more thirsty. :D

Return to “Newbie Lounge”