When GPS is stolen...

Share general news, ideas and discussions about GPS and GPS navigation

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discuss general GPS and GPS navigation topics only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
uncle wong
Regional Mapper
Location: Kuala Lumpur - Selangor - Johor I did not have a GPS device

GPS (IMPORTANT) - PLEASE READ !!!

Postby uncle wong » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:40 am

This gives us something to think about with all our new electronic technology - GPS
A couple of weeks ago a friend told me that someone she knew had their car broken into while they were at a football
match. Their car was parked on the green which was adjacent to the football stadium and specially allotted to football fans.

Things stolen from the car included a garage door remote control, some money and a GPS which had been prominently
mounted on the dashboard.

When the victims got home, they found that their house had been ransacked and just about everything worth anything had been stolen.
The thieves had used the GPS to guide them to the house. They then used the garage remote control to open the garage door and gain entry to the house.
The thieves knew the owners were at the football game, they knew what time the game was scheduled to finish and so they knew how much time they had to
clean up the house. It would appear that they had brought a truck to empty the house of its contents.

> > MOBILE PHONE
I never thought of this.......
This lady has now changed her habit of how she lists her names on her mobile phone after her handbag was stolen.
Her handbag, which contained her cell phone, credit card,wallet...etc... Was stolen.

20 minutes later when she called her hubby, from a pay phone telling him what had happened, hubby says
'I received your text Asking about our Pin number and I've replied a little while ago.'
When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the money was already withdrawn. The thief had
actually used the stolen cell phone to text 'hubby' in the contact list and got hold of the pin number. Within 20 minutes
he had withdrawn all the money from their bank account.
> > Moral of the lesson:
Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your contact list. Avoid using names like Home, Honey,
Hubby,Sweetheart, Dad, Mom, etc.... And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked
through texts, CONFIRM by calling back. Also, when you're being text by friends or family to meet them somewhere, be sure to call back to
confirm that the message came from them. If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places to meet 'family and friends' who text you.

> > *PLEASE PASS THIS ON
> > * I never thought about THAT! As of now, I no longer have 'home' listed on my cell phone.
Enjoy the GPS’s life!

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Re: GPS (IMPORTANT) - PLEASE READ !!!

Postby sharkteef » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:32 am

that is one very scary story.

msports
Polygon Mapper
Location: Kajang, Pantai Hillpark, KL, Bangi, Putrajaya, Kota Tinggi

Postby msports » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:56 am

feel sorry to hear these tragic..
what happen it this world....?????
isn't there any peace & safe place at all.... please la! :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:
msports/// : nuvi710, nuvi255W, GMXT on 5800 & N97, PAPAGO X7 (R6600), latest on Nuvi3790 & always on mfm

ehyeoh
Valued Contributor

Postby ehyeoh » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:48 am

We may need to switch on the "garmin Lock" or password of the unit to avoid other to access the it.

sentry
Valued Contributor

Postby sentry » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:54 am

Switching on the garmin lock is one way, and don't name your home as "Home" in your GPS, use something more generic - the theif may still find the actual home but it may help to delay it. Last resort - don't leave it in your car.

divemuster
Contributor

Postby divemuster » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:47 am

Did this really happen to your friend or was this from an email making its rounds?

Just being curious. :-?
To Air is Human, To Nitrox Divine!!

uncle wong
Regional Mapper
Location: Kuala Lumpur - Selangor - Johor I did not have a GPS device

Postby uncle wong » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:36 am

divemuster wrote:Did this really happen to your friend or was this from an email making its rounds?

Just being curious. :-?

true story but not my friend
Enjoy the GPS’s life!

SOSweet

Postby SOSweet » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:21 am

Well, as far as stories from internet concern, it is best read with caution and for me, I normally give a 90% discount to what was written especially those from "friend's friend; colleagues's brother's friends" etc etc. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Remember last time there was this rumous of deadly gems on the toilet seatpan and worms in Kangkong ? All rubbish. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercise & Good Deeds

divemuster
Contributor

Postby divemuster » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:52 am

SOSweet wrote:Remember last time there was this rumous of deadly gems on the toilet seatpan and worms in Kangkong ? All rubbish. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Really? Wow.. and to think i was only worried about deadly spiders biting my ass while I'm chairing my morning meetings. Oh, that and losing my kidneys after waking up in a tub-full of iced-water. ](*,)

Well, if common sense can't be applied, maybe one could check stories from sources like http://www.snopes.com or http://www.hoaxslayer.com.
To Air is Human, To Nitrox Divine!!

zuree
Valued Contributor

Postby zuree » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:44 am

one thing to say here careless-not taking or showing enough care and attention. don't ever leave your gps in a car.prevention is better than cure

Return to “General GPS Forum”