How to ensure same routing each time?

Share general news, ideas and discussions about GPS and GPS navigation

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discuss general GPS and GPS navigation topics only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
Spinosum

How to ensure same routing each time?

Postby Spinosum » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:28 pm

Dear sifus,

I am facing one annoying problem each time I upgrade to a later version of the maps. The GPS doesn't seem to always use the same route to the same place I have been before.

For example, if I travel from point A to point B using map version 1.13, it shows a suggestion of route; but once I upgrade to say version 1.15, going from point A to B will be given another suggestion of route. I have made sure that the preference of "shorter distance" or "faster time" are kept the same, and no other alteration.

May I know how to ensure each time traveling from point A to B is kept the same way, regardless of how many times I upgrade the map version?

Thanks.

sabelt
Polygon Mapper

Re: How to ensure same routing each time?

Postby sabelt » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:49 pm

i have this problem as well...lets see what our sifu have to answer this...

sabelt
Polygon Mapper

Postby sabelt » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:52 pm

Spinosum wrote:Dear sifus,

I am facing one annoying problem each time I upgrade to a later version of the maps. The GPS doesn't seem to always use the same route to the same place I have been before.

For example, if I travel from point A to point B using map version 1.13, it shows a suggestion of route; but once I upgrade to say version 1.15, going from point A to B will be given another suggestion of route. I have made sure that the preference of "shorter distance" or "faster time" are kept the same, and no other alteration.

May I know how to ensure each time traveling from point A to B is kept the same way, regardless of how many times I upgrade the map version?

Thanks.

always inform to the mapper in feedback section. use mapsource to identify the error.

OngCC
Senior Mapper

Postby OngCC » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:54 pm

We need to know where is the A & B, what was the changes on the route... :mrgreen:
Upload your contribution to MFM drop box if you don't want others to take your contributed tracklogs or POIs.
http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11630

FauSham
Location: Kelantan [Legend Cx / Nuvi 200(Damage) / Nuvi 760 / Nuvi 265W(New)]

Postby FauSham » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanks.

In GPS device, it using guessing and matching system to find alternative road for shorter or faster or anything.
May b in oldest map, there'r no xtra road than latest map. So guessing and matching system get more data in latest map and will give different route than before (Refer to calculation laaa :)). More road to tackle more accurate in routing.
More data....... more guessing or matching..... more accurate in routing system and sometime :lol: your device will :ko: if more and more data like new extra road or new junction or altenative road appear. That Y, some device........ auto shutdown alwayz happen......

In mapping, I like to give some opinion to contributor or mapper to map road type more clearly. Changing road type, Eg: small road , we mark as big road or main road......... will disturb some calculation in routing. Coz our GPS device is not a PC to do complex computation. It only use small logic guessing and matching with some info provide.

There'r several item, our GPS use to do routing in device:
1. How long The target road ( Device will search all altenative road to calculate).
2. What type of road ( Effect with route configuration, eg: if set not to use paved road..etc)
3. How many junction, U turn, round about, bridge to think and calculate.
4. How many way or altenative road are there
5. Get possible way to search shorter route or best route. (Like programming chess). more choice of road more complex to calculate.

All above list is How our GPS think. So... if we get different result in routing in 2 different map...... pls make sure, thier xtra road apear in map.

P/s : FauSham aready check old map with latest map in same area with no xtra information ........ look same route BUT then try to compare with other area with xtra map in latest map..... thier routing was seen different.
It change, cos there are xtra data in latest map. Comform... :thumbsup:
FauSham @ Malaysia & Singapore Free Maps - MalFreeMaps
AMATEUR RADIO CALLSIGN: 9W2WFN

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Bro FauSham,

Thank you for your explanation.

I have tested this on GMXT and the Nuvi... both running v1.16. Routing between two points, both the Nuvi & GMXT gave a different route. Using the same map on both GPS should make it equal. With both GPS avoidance and routing set to the same parameters both unit should give the same route.

Here are the two point from "A" @ N5 20.069 E100 17.330 (Jln Bkt Gambir) To "B" @ N5 23.547 E100 18.321 (Lam Wah Ee). The attached gdb file shows the different route from Nuvi/Mapsource & GMXT for these two points....cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

badrol
Polygon Mapper

Postby badrol » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:27 pm

Thanks.

If you your device can be up-loaded with route, then chart your route with mapsource and up-load to your device. Next time when you want to go from the same Point A to the same Point B, just pick the route.
ImageImageImage

KC*
Regional Mapper

Postby KC* » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:19 pm

I may be wrong here but I read that some Garmin GPSrs "learn" your preferred route - ie if you keep taking a particular route despite its direction.

When you re-load a map, perhaps this "learnt" preferred route is lost.

Just a guess here.

FauSham
Location: Kelantan [Legend Cx / Nuvi 200(Damage) / Nuvi 760 / Nuvi 265W(New)]

Postby FauSham » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:57 pm

KC* wrote:I may be wrong here but I read that some Garmin GPSrs "learn" your preferred route - ie if you keep taking a particular route despite its direction.

When you re-load a map, perhaps this "learnt" preferred route is lost.

Just a guess here.

I think some of us did't understand between learn and remember.
I think u mentioned something about GPS device will learn route..... means do learn and recognized your regular route. This thinking is wrong becoz your GPS did't learn and study your style or route but they learn your route in do calculating. Each time GPSr start routing mode, it start to learn and recogniz road type and calculate every road and altenative. BUT in some model, GPS system will save coordinate to make sure sattelite reading so fast next time we start our GPS. That why, when we frequently use using same road or same area, calculating of route look faster than new area or when we switch on our GPS in new area becoz GPS already have save coordinate. So, our GPS just do simple read data, use that data and do compare and shows result.

That all.....

Some GPS only have tiny brain so it can't do like robot or PC to learn and think. GPS only use logic data system save in map to find and search better way or shorter way or to turn or turn round about or warning for speed trap. Alwayz Updated map and POI will make our GPS look 'braining'. If we did't give or our map not update, our GPS look dumb. Our GPS only read and compare sattelites and did not download any map from there. If our MFM most complete or latest one, we sometime found our GPS think difference than before. Ada beza in searhing places, searching route or anything.

One thing we also must know is about Mapsourse. Don't ever compare any route course or any calculation method becoz mapsource use PC's brain (multiple bits array)...... but our GPS only use single bit array mathematic calculation (just like gameboy :) ). Our route calculation may be defferent......
FauSham @ Malaysia & Singapore Free Maps - MalFreeMaps
AMATEUR RADIO CALLSIGN: 9W2WFN

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Calculation of routes depend on your preferences as set in your GPS. Than your GPS will calculate a route based on your preference and the Map data ( what is assigned to it for routing ). What I am seeing is a different route when I compare GMXT with Nuvi... If the map is the same and the GPS settings are the same why the difference?... I don't understand how big or tiny brain affect the routing... :ko: because the mappers have assign the tracks for routing... Not the GPS 'brain'.

As for the self learn function, I can accept this if all GPS starts off with the same route. I have compared a GMXT and Nuvi (never run on this route) but they behave the same!... ](*,) Hope members here can help to verify my findings...cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

Return to “General GPS Forum”